Customs: Commisioner worries.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thielmj, Feb 6, 2012.

1. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay first I want to say this is not a place to bash artists so try to avoid names or alot of hate

That said My question to commisioners out there is what is the point where you worry about your investment?

Do you have a time frame you start to worry when you haven't seen a WIP pick or gotten a response form the artist.

My reason for bringing this up is I have commisions with several artists and i've been worried about a few for awhile cause i haven't heard or seen anything about my commisions directly sense they were paid off in some cases. That said one of the artists i was somewhat worried about text messaged me a pic of one of my customs nearly completed and the relief and joy was really a weight off my shoulders.
    So i'm wondering if others have a similiar stories as well as at what point in time line wise you get worried.
    Artists feel free to comment as well in situations you feel you've been worried as a seller or if you just have some thoughts for commisioners as well.

Hopefully this thread can help some people like me that are/were worried as well as put the minds of some that are angry about the commisions at ease.

2. chonosmoon

chonosmoon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think when you commission an artist, both of you need to agree upon what is expected.

Next time you commission an artist, make sure it is understood that updates are expected every x amount of days or weeks. Also set a hard time for completion.

The hard time to complete by, should be a date both can agree on, most importantly for the artist, a date he/she knows knows very well he/she can complete by with a few days of padding incase of unexpected delays. The artist should strive to finish before the hard date.

If the artist follows up and completes his side, you should keep commissioning him and give him a tip!. If he doesn't then find another artist.

If the commissioner does not follow up on his part, like so the artist should stop taking commissions from that commissioner.

I would say commission me, I'm good to work with, but I won't be available till May ish.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with chronosmoon.

Also it sounds like the main issue is a lack of communication. A simple, timely reply might be enough to set your mind at ease.

Before you pay, set clear expectations and schedule. Expectation such as email response time, updates and finally when you can expect your piece to be in your hands. Not mostly finished, not almost done, but shipped and in your hands. If those dates slip, your expectation would be either a request for an extension from the artist, or a refund, at your discretion. Also I'd only pay a deposit or partial payment until the work is complete.

Having said that, the other side of the coin is that a completed custom can be difficult to accurately estimate. I've only done a handful and always over estimated my completion time just to avoid any disappointment from my customers.

4. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

I havent been able to commision anyone on a figure but i have 4 different radicons lined up to ask once i have the figures, but i'd have faith in the person and when i have time ask him a few here and theres aling with some inquiries on how its going... What it basicly comes down to is this, if the commisioner had no interest or ability to create a custom for you, they wouldnt take the commision or be on the commisioner feedback list =)

5. chonosmoon

chonosmoon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think when it comes to who to commission, you should consider what characters/customs they do in addition to style.

A good artist can probably make any character or commission piece.
    Yet, a great artist makes the characters he/she can put his/her heart into and it shows. I guess it as they say the best spice for food is love/soul.

I can't speak for other artist but I know for myself, there are certain characters and commission types I simply won't do, instead i rather refer you to another artist who will put his heart into it.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    communication is key, i have a few commissions on the go, with regular updates sent out, haven't had anyone disappointed yet

7. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally agree with chonosmoon and everything that has been said here.

Communication between the artist and commissioner is key. Before commissioning an artist to do a character or figure for you, it is good to describe what you are looking for to see if the artist can do it or not. If they can, then agree on a time-frame but allow some flexibility because real life issues can come up on either side of the agreement. Along the way, it is good to have a running set of e-mails/PMs with them. However, I do not feel that either person should be too pushy/anxious in the communication process. I have worked with several artists on the boards and they each have their own styles on what they are capable/comfortable of doing.