Commercials at the movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheIncredibleHulk, Jul 8, 2007.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

This is getting ridiculous. My wife and I went to see Transformers today, and instead of the normal batch of trailers before the movie, we get commercials too. There was probably about 10 minutes of commercials. I pay my money to see the movie, not to see commercials that I could see for free on tv. I'm not interested in joining the national guard or whats on ABC this fall. I just want to watch the movie. And maybe some cool trailers....

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, it really irritates me. I don't mind upcoming movie trailers, but the oother commercials bug me for the reasons you said. And they're way too long too. If they just said 'Drink Sprite' or something that's fine, I don't need to see a minute long commercial, then a Coke commercial that seems to take 5 minutes. especially since beofre they start, when i go in to sit down, I'm already seeing an advertising slideshow until it's time for the lights to go out.
    Rant over.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Gets on my nerves too, same thing happened when I went to see Transformers, at one point a guy behind me yelled, "I CAME TO SEE OPTIMUS PRIME NOT GOD DAMN COMMERCIALS."

At least I got a chuckle out of it...

4. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah... commercials are getting annoying.. the only goo done I remember seeing in the theater was the Ocarina of Time Zelda Trailer... and that was a piece of work worthy of being up there.

They should be paying US to watch them.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I hate them. I use to have to go one twon over in any direction to see a movie and they all had commercials. Last year we got a brand new theater and they do not show commercials and I love them for it.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It's exactly what we don't want. I mean if they insist on showing commercials during a movie, then at least come out with ones I've never seen before. Don't use the same Propel fitness water commecial, over and over and over....

7. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. And does anybody else watch movies at an AMC. If you do, you know what I'm talking about when I say the movie reel and music intro can get REALLY annoying sometimes. Heck, one time, they had it playing for fifteen minutes. I was PAYING to see "movie music" or whatever AMC calls that intro.

8. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

My feeling is that they should just play episodes before movies. If you are trying to get peope to love the Office what better way then putting it infront of a movie and just showing an episode.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Peeves me too - It's not like free television: You're paying to see a movie yet are getting adverts forced down your throat. And, unlike TV, you can't choose to 'turn over' (I close my eyes and hope I don't nod off).
    I didn't mid the old "eat at Joe's" advert cards we've always had though, as they're usually promoting something local. But five minute epics for the latest stink water? No thanks....

They'll be creeping onto DVD's next - We already have forced trailers. How long before we get forced commercials?

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And the industry continues to blame piracy for all it's problems...

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah like if it says the movie is supposed to start at 8, it should start at 8 not have the commercials start at 8!! God I was pissed.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't mind 10 minutes or so of trailers, but 20 minutes of ads just gets freaking annoying. Although I guess they're handy if you're running late...

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We kinda have commercials at our theaters here. It is more of a video projection and they play it before the trailers as people are gathering. It is a constant loop of the same damn crap everytime! That and they have 2-3 Scene It things in, but it is pure crap. It is stuff from movies I haven't seen or never heard of. Heard of Material Girls and the quote from it was mildly amusing. But one that really makes me laugh as a "memorable" quote is from the Good Shepard and is "You do understand anything said here never leaves this room." or something like that. How the hell is that memorable? That is average dialog that could be from any film. I mean give me stuff from classic or new classic movies like "Nazis. I hate these guys." "Wolfman's got nards!" or movies from a few years ago. What I think is funny is they have scene it stuff from movies not even out yet.

14. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

i agree here, when i went to see shrek 3 on friday, right in the middle of the trailers for movies there was a 5 minute commercial for some anime crap on cartoon network

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The movies sure have come a long way. But it is crazy seeing all those tv like comercials on the big screen. I know some of you will remember the old Camel and Marlboro advertisements at the movies.

16. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I have to sit through nearly half an hour of crap before the movie starts, so while it says it starts at eight it's really eight thirty. A good deal of it is adverts and to be honest I can't be bothered with most of the trailers it seems like all they show are crappy remakes of supposed "horror films".

17. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

AMC are the worse. They may have comfy theaters with big screens, but sometimes it is getting on my nerves.

18. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

The theater companies sell this ad time to make the tickets "more affordable". I'm sure that's how they justify this crap anyway.

I don't like it either, but I guess it's what we have to put up with in order to be paying 8 bucks for a ticket in stead of like 15.

-bullet

19. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

As long as they don't start stopping the film mid way to put more commercials on (they wouldn't do that... would they?), I can just about tolerate them.

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Better just get use to it. Advertisers are interesting looking to other avenues beyond tv because of Tivo and DVR recorder that allow you to simply skip the ads on tv. The movies are perfect because your forced to see advertisements.

I noticed alot more military ads for Transformers. Probably part of the deal with Bay for their involvment in the film.