Comments needed for purchase of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rid, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm trying to broaden my Optimus Prime collection and wanted to know what the differences are between the MP-01, MP-04 and Hasbro's 20th Anniversary release. I have the 20th Ann version so if you can use that as a basis of comparaison, it'll help me understand better.

A couple of thing I need to specify so you can comment accordingly:

1. I will buy Prime and will open it, transform it and have it on display. As opposed to keeping it MISB or playing with it.

2. Prime's look is more important to me then the number of points of articulations or TV accuracy or such. So something that looks like G1 Prime (robot mode) is a total turn off for me.

All comments welcome. Tho I have these specific questions:

Is MP-04 the same as MP-01 with an additional trailer?
    Is MP-01 identical to 20th?
    Are MP-01, MP-04 and 20th relatively the same size (give or take an inch or two)?
    Is there significant differences to warrant getting all 3 of them? Or just stick with my 20th ann.?
    I'm also considering THS-02, Revoltech and Battle Convoy, is there any other "premium/high quality" Primes I should consider?

thanks for your help.

2. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yes, exactly the same. MP-04 is just MP-01 in a new box with a trailer. Some people claim the chest windows on MP-04 are more blue and that his face plate sits higher, but I think that's nothing more than slight manufacturing differences from toy to toy.

Close but not exact. MP-01 is the good version, whereas the 20th has shorter smoke stacks, is painted in a much more plastic/cartoonish looking red, and has a different colored gun. Personally I think MP-01 is vastly superior, especially in way of color. Looks more "real" and less cartoonish than 20th.

They're all the exact same size - 12" or so.

I'd say definitely get MP-01 or 04 if you can afford to, and if you want a higher quality looking figure.

Palisades Prime doesn't transform, but is an amazing 12" statue. Maybe something worth looking into. And of course Classics Prime - but NOT the one 2-packed with tank Meg's. And for collector's sake, the War Within Titanium... but wait until it's re-released early next year with better/tighter joints.

I passed on the THS-02 when I found out at the last minute it's only 6" tall. Looks great in pics (except for truck mode) but I think I would have been very underwhelmed with the toy considering how much it is for such a small figure. The Revoltech / Battle Convoy stuff does nothing for me, but may be worth it if you don't care about proper proportion and lack of transforming ability.

3. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I already got both Classic primes (just for Prime completeness sake). As well as War Within Titanium. I must agree I'm not very impressed with the joints.

Will read up on Palisades Prime. thx

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2. huh?! so G1 looking Prime is out of the question. Here's what I would suggest
    1. G2 Laser Convoy
    2. Fire Convoy
    3. Optimus Primal

- MP-01 and MP-04 the robot is almost identical with a bit difference that really does not matter much. Some owners reported that MP-01's paint job is better than MP-04's but when displayed they virtually look the same.

- MP-01 is almost identical with 20th anniversary Hasbro except that the Hasbro version has the short smoke stacks while the MP-01 Takara has the long one. Hasbro MP-01 is also painted as battle damage while MP-01 is clean/prestine.

- They are all the same size since they came from but 1 mold however, if you put the DVD prime on its base then it will surely tower above the two MPs.

Why are you condering THS-02? It resembles G1 Prime so it would be a turn-off for you. However, that THS-02 is highly recommended because it comes with a trailer plus roller and lot more. I have'nt seen Revoltech but it looks promising because of its articulation but it's not transformable (just robot mode). G2 Laser Prime is also good. Or better look for G2 Scourge.

hope this helps!

5. rid

rid Well-Known Member

What's a G2 Scourge? I know of G2 Laser Prime and RiD Scourge but I'm unfamiliar with G2 Scourge. Can you give me some links. thx.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think you're confusing the 20th Optimus Prime and the recent DVD Prime. 20th is the one that was basically the same as MP-01, except for the short smokestacks, the black gun, and the battle damage. DVD Prime is the cartoony red one with the blue gun.

In the end, though, they're all the same mold, so I say go with whichever version you can find for the best price.

7. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    G2 Scourge was G2 Laser Optimus Prime in black and was a decepticon. Kind of the birth of the whole "Nemesis Prime" thing, really.

8. Optimusfiretruck

Optimusfiretruck Decepitcon Squad Leader

That is not G2 that is RiD

9. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional