Commemortive series VS Takara Collection Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scooby.Smokescreen, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

Please forgive me if my questions are all very new and may well have been asked before.

I've wanted to collect the Takara series for a long time and since hearing of the film I've decided I want to collect all the Takara series (got at least 10 already in 2 weeks!)

Any, I've also seen these commemortive collection series and wondered if anyone could shed some light on what differences there are and which are more collectable?

I've always liked the style of the packaging of the Takara series so have every intention of getting all 21.

Not sure if I want to amass a great collection but after getting all the takara series I'd like to move onto a few boxed sets (combiners) and collect all the dinobots in boxes etc.

Transformers so needs a noobs guide to collecting and background!

Many thanks

2. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

besides having different figures release, Takara didn't release Ultra Magnus, Dirge, Skywarp, etc. the Hasbro figures don't have chrome weapons, seeker missles are longer for safty and Magnus and Primes stacks are shorter.

3. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even though not all of them are in the Takara Collection series, you can still find any Hasbro reissue also reissued by Takara in more traditional packaging.

Anyway, I prefer the Takara ones. They're more costly, but, the whole series was released with the same style of packaging, it has cool entries Hasbro didn't reissue such as the remolded Bumblebee in the Minibots set, and the toys are more accurate to the originals than Hasbro's.

4. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara did release Magnus and the other jets, just not in the Collection series. Most of the Hasbro reissues have either been given enlarged missiles or had the lauchers' springs removed for safety reasons. Those are the only major changes to the bots I can think of (well there's also the anime Starscream thing- the takara one is in anime colors, the Hasbro one is in original toy colors).

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Plus, the Hasbro Jazz is a better moulding job than the Takara one (better face, and the car actually fits together properly).
    Starscream also comes with a rather nifty extra; Megatron in gun mode, along with remoulded hands for both Starscream and G1 prime to hold him. The gun can also fit under Starscream's jet mode. Awesome.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yep, you're better off merging them to get the most out of it. The cheapest way would probably be to go ahead and get all the Commemmorative Series off the bat, then go for Takara's. BUT that's what I did and I wish I would've went for the Takaras first instead. They pack more stuff in.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That’s what I did. Takara first then the ones that Takara released before the book boxes or as E-Hobby exclusives I got from Hasbro. Or at lest as many as I could.

8. Scooby.Smokescreen

Thanks for that.

So far in the Takara series I've got

8 Inferno
    12 Minibot collection
    14 Hound
    16 Insecticons
    18 Sound Blaster
    21 Blaster

Have won some others (Megatron, Optimus, Soundwave) but they haven't arrived as yet.

I bought a collection which also has commemorative Hoist, Prowl, Jazz, Richochet and Optimus. Not sure whether to keep these or not. Plus constructicons minitures (WST?) and a load of mini WST? transformers (Soundwave, Megatron, Optimus, Snarl etc etc) And the DVD box set in a wooden case with Skids commemorative box.

I've never seen the wooden box set before - is it rare?

9. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only difference on Tracks is the lack of springs in the missle launchers. $5 on ebay for two G1 missile launchers and your all set. The missles are even the same as the old ones.

Jazz and Stepper/Riccochets shoulder missle launchers are different. The Takara ones will fire, where as the Hasbro ones will turn.

Hasbro and Takara Astrotrain are identical.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, i would recommend this strategy too if you're not an MISB collector - mix and match the get the best of both worlds.

11. Scooby.Smokescreen

I'd prefer MISB but just for now I'd like to complete the Takara series and then as and when a sealed one turns up I have the choice then of replacing my current one.

I don't really want to take them out the boxes really. Just sorted out a nice shelf to put up a little display and maybe some sort of case to keep the dust off. One of the Takara series I've got from Ebay has obviously been in a smokers house because I can smell it.

The commemoratives seem to have been taken out and stickers applied but the boxes are pretty much mint. The Takara ones are very tidy but I'm a bit funny and don't even like it if theres even a small crease in the box.

With regard to these WST transfomers - is there much interest in them? I've got all 6 constructicons plus 8 of the more well known characters. They've been taken out the boxes but boxes are all OK and all items inside are there. They were just extras included in the ebay sale I won.

I do like this wooden DVD set too. Hard to choose which to keep out of the metal case and this one.

12. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Its funny, I actually just started getting insterested in the reissues again. Getting married will put toys on the back burner. I've also been trying to refocus my collection on originals or reissues of the originals.
    With Takara you have the reissues since 1999? Or 2000.
    Either way you have a couple different versions of Optimus Prime, but you also have to be careful of the bootlegs of him too.
    Takara:
    Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus
    Star Scream
    Hot Rod
    Rodimus Prime
    Six shot
    Megatron
    Sideswipe/red alert (n/y release)

Convention Exclusive(similar to the e-hobby releases)
    Sideswipe
    Red Alert
    Iron Hide
    Ratchet
    Trailbreaker
    Hoist
    Grapple
    Inferno

Thundercracker
    Skywarp
    Thrust
    Ramjet
    Dirge(very hard to come by)

Then came the bookstyle releases
    All the releases from the convention and before are as close to the originals as you will find. I suggest finding a Hasbro dirge as he's the same thing as the Original or the Japanese release at a fraction of the price.

Me, I'm trying to decide if I want to finish off my Takara bookstyle collection or finish off my G-1 Headmasters/target masters autobots.

13. Scooby.Smokescreen

Its the book style I want to complete first before moving on to any of the others.

Are there bootleg book styles out there? Hope not I don't know how to tell them apart.

I've just won another big lot of transformers. Got bookstyle Optimus, Starscream, Prowl, Tracks, Smokescreen and Inferno. What looks like a TRU Ultra Magnus, another Optimus. Near complete Metroplex, Menasor, Hunn-Gurr, Cyclonus, trigger happy.

And a complete boxed Weirdwolf.

Also got Skids and Megatron on there way from a seperate auction.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even though I have all the originals, the Takara Bookstyle series is too beautiful to pass up. They're everything a reissue should be, in my opinion. Congrats on going that route.

You may know already, but since you didn't mention it in your post, please be aware that the 'WST' combiners are all unofficial products, so you shouldn't pay more than a few dollars apiece for any of the sets.

15. Scooby.Smokescreen

I've seen two different package styles for these. One where they are all in one big blister pack and another where they are individual. Theses are individual packaging - says "Transformers Universe". Are these unofficial?

I thought the WST packets looked unofficial. The Dinobot snarl is pretty good thought - quite surprised his chest is metal.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Snarl is GREAT, in spite of being unofficial. The scaled-down G1 gestalts on blister packs are KO/bootlegs - and it shows when you get them in your hands!

The Transformers Universe figs are indeed official product - but they are NOT a scaled-down version of the G1 figures. They're a Devastator-colored repaint of the Japanese Sixbuilder toy, which was originally released in 1992:
    http://www.tfu.info/1992/Cybertron/Sixbuilder/sixbuilder.htm

It was reissued in 2003 in Japan:
    http://www.tfu.info/2003/Cybertron/SixBuilder/sixbuilder.htm
    Along with a "Devastar" redeco:
    http://www.tfu.info/2003/Destron/SixBuilder/sixbuilder.htm

And then a Devastator version also came out in the US and Europe. The deco is quite different than the Japanese Devastar version:
    http://www.tfu.info/2004/Decepticon/MMDevastator/devastator.htm

17. Scooby.Smokescreen

I've got the last one. :) 

So are they worth anything? I was going to chuck all the small transformers back up on ebay to recoup some of my costs.

Haven't decided what to do with the commemorative series sets as yet. Definately keeping the Takara TFCs but one or two aren't great and I won't be happy until I have 21 mint examples :) 

18. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I like Hasbro's better, i actually prefer the black missles and stuff over chrome*come on, chrome missles just look lame* and IMO the extras that the Takara ones has doesn't make up for the lame white packaging, the Hasbro boxes are a tad thinner material but IMO look better*and i can actually say this opinion, as i have Takara Smokescreen and Hasbro Prowl* now the missles not being able to actually shoot is a lil meh but to be honest they are really for looks anyway on the Prowl/Smokescreen/Streak figs least IMO.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

20. Don energon

Don energon Member