Commemorative Optimus Prime - double taped seal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xbp2012, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Xbp2012

Xbp2012 New Member

Hello everyone,

I wanted to bring my question to the Transformers experts since I can't seem to solve on my own. I recently purchased a commemorative Optimus Prime off eBay which was listed as "misb". However one end of the package (side to the rear of the truck) has two pieces of ovetlapping tape sealing it. The other side has one piece of tape. The seller says he purchased from a retail store at the time of the toy's original release and that is how it came.

My question is this, has anyone here owned or purchased a true misb commemorative Optimus Prime with one side double taped sealed? Is it possible that this was some kind of factory adjustment or action done by the original retail outlet? Anyone seen this before?

Thank you all very much for your input.

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Retaped packages from the factory, in general, are not uncommon. So it is entirely possible that it is legitimately sealed. Does the second piece of tape match the one under it in terms of type and width? If so, then it is likely legit, as the tape used on toy boxes tends to be an off-size from what can be bought in the store.

3. Xbp2012

Xbp2012 New Member

Thanks for the reply Sidecutter. The two pieces of tape do appear to be the same size and roughly the same length. Another thing to note about this is that the seller provided a picture of two commemorative Optimuses (including the one I purchased) which he said he purchased from the store originally, and both of them have the double tape seal on the same side done in the same way. I don't know if that helps or hurts the chances of them being legit but its's something to note.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.