Command & Conquer 4?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mrhillz, Mar 17, 2010.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Did anyone pick this up? If so, is it any good?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

While i'd love to, the fact that i'm still playing FF 13, and picked up Chaos Rising last week, which i've barely put any time into, mean I won't be picking it up for a while. It's a very different game though, judging from the beta.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its out?

huh I might have to grab a copy

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

FFFFFFFFfffuuuuuuuuuuU!

I'm totally behind on my C&C, I havent even finished Tiberium Sun or Red Alert 2 yet.

5. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Gotta finish Chaos Rising before I head to another PC title. Might be slow at getting it after hearing how much people didn't like the MP beta.

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I'll get it just to see the story conclusion even though I think they shoukd have capped it off last game.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to be fair the CNC storys could of ended long ago but much like lost they will just keep on dragging it out till nobody buys it.

Speaking of buying it... i just seen that the DRM means you need to connect to the internet to play (even single player)... so I'm out I cant stand the stuff

8. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I 'think' you can avoid that with the Steam version, but I haven't check to be sure.

9. Savanna

I didn't know they had a Steam version. New Weekend game comith.

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Hmm, reading more about how that system works, it seems like it is completely self contained within the game, and not some external DRM. So the version of the game you get wouldn't matter as technically there isn't any DRM in the traditional sense. Instead, the game talks with the EA servers much like World of Warcraft needs to talk to the Blizzard servers. If you lose connection, you get booted back to the main menu or something.

Again, haven't bought and tested this yet, so I'm still not positive.

11. Savanna

Dragon Age Connected to EA servers upon turning it on, same with Mass Effect 2. I wish they didn't do it, but meh.

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you don't just get booted to the main menu you get booted from the game with any game progress lost... I don't really want to invest any time in a game that can instantly wipe 30 something mins of game play because it could not keep contact with a server

13. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Gentlemen:

I played a bit of this at my friend's house today. He is a giant C&C fan. I spoke to him today about it, and he said it was complete and utter trash.

My experience:

They have ripped out the core gameplay of all other Command and Conquer games and replaced it with something completely new. There is no more base-building or resource management, there is only build and use. Your base is one unit, chosen from one of three classes, each with its own exclusive units. The Tiberium itself has been reduced to small crystals hidden throughout the maps. These are used for in-mision upgrades. That's it. There's also an unmovable population cap.

And you know how in campaigns, as you play you get access to the better stuff, and by the last mission, you have everything? And in Skirmish mode, you have everything avaliable anyway? Yeah, not anymore. You earn new units by leveling up your commander through the missions, possibly multiplayer. This is the only way to gain access to new units.

Selecting your faction is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen. You get three tutorial missions (which don't give you EXP towards your next level), and then presented the option. How is this stupid? You start as a GDI hero, supposedly an experienced commander. I have difficulty believing he would ever consider joining Nod.

All of this would be fine in a new series. I understand the logic behind the class system, encouraging teamwork, and the level up thing is an interesting idea (faction choosing here is still stupid.) But this is the last Command and Conquer game in the Tiberium series. It is supposed to represent the pinnacle of everything that series has done, much like Halo: Reach is supposed to be. You DO NOT so drastically change the game at the last installment. As far as I can tell, most C&C fans have reached consensus: this is not a C&C game. Me? I'm inclined to agree.

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I knew about the new system and I've seen games that have a similar feeling (ground control, dawn of war 2) but IMO Base building are CNC so.... i might have to play a demo before I sign up

15. Savanna

Sounds like they tried what they did in Dawn of War 2 and removed base building, but fucked it up.

16. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Despite the changes, I still want to check it out. I've played all the C&C games (I dont call myself a big fan though) and dont mind the lack of base building. If it's a game that can bring the combat in faster and rougher, then I'm all up for it.

I friggen loved playing Ground Control 2 because it had none of that and was all about controling the battlefield.

17. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Actually, I bought it and got a server DC. If you are in the campaign or solo skirmish, it just gives you a pop-up that says your XP progress will not count from that point forward. It doesn't kick you to a menu or anything. I was able to finish my campaign mission without any problem.

18. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I played the Beta of this game for about... 5min before I uninstalled it. EA f*cked up bad this time. Why the hell would they rip out the core gameplay aspects of Command and Conquer? I have been a huge C&C fan since the beginning and this game just makes me wonder what the hell kind of drugs the developers of this garbage really were on...

They turned the game into a race for how fast you can click. And nothing more than that...

19. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah ... I think I'll pass then. After reading reviews and hearing enough player feedback, I honestly think that it would be better to wait for SC2, or try Dawn of War 2 for my RTS fix.

20. Savanna

Go Dawn of War 2. I am in the Starcraft 2 beta, and all I can say about it is this, "am I playing Starcraft 1 with updated graphics?". That is all I can say about it.