Comm. Reissue Starscream problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Today I decided to get my reissue Starscream out of his box. The tape was already broken when I bought him, so I stickered him up.

Then I went to assemble him in plane mode... and his wings don't fit all the way into the holes. There is about 1/8 of an inch gap or more between the wings and the body. Seems the holes are not deep enough to get the wings in against the body. So it looks like he's about to fall apart!

So I'm displaying him in bot mode with the wings folded back until I decide what to do. And my question is....

Would it be safer to drill out the holes or shorten the pegs?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Shorten the pegs. Just keep sanding/filing until they fit well. There's no risk of enlarging the hole or drilling too deep and hitting something.

3. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Aren't all the re-issue (and late G1) Seekers pretty much like this? I hate it too, and I've never quite understood why the wing pegs were elongated.

Anyone know the purpose of the long pegs? Is it a safety issue, or a structural one? The only thing I could come up with was that the designers wanted the wingspan to look wider in robot mode, but I suspect that's not the real reason. :p 

4. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

The orignal G1 is like that(rubsign version). The prerub version have shorter pegs on the wings, the issue with that is when in robot mode, the wings tend to fall off because the peg is too short, the longer pegs helps alot in this mode. I know this because I have both versions of the seekers, I actually prefer the longer peg version because I keep them in robot mode.

The prerub seekers had another common issue, the neck joint easily become loose so it tends to fall back unless you put them in conehead mode. The rubsign version(and reissues) fixed this by adding a metal ring in the neck pin.

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Neck joint? G1 seekers had joints?

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

After some thought, I realize drilling out the holes is a dumb idea. I'm going to take the wing off my G1 Thundercracker and see if it fits any better. Then I might know whether they'll fall out easy, and if they don't... i'll know how much to shorten them.

But I did find a place for him with my Starscreams... so he's looking hot in Bot mode right now....

Another question.... does anyone have a picture of the sticker for the eyes correctly applied? I fiddled with it for about 5 minutes deciding which way looked best....

Thanks for all your help!