Coming back into the world of PC gaming blind

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mumps, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Hi all, I just bought a new laptop (a very powerful desktop replacement machine)

With my gaming focus being entirely shifted to the console and board/card gaming worlds the last few years, I have fallen quite behind in this world. I was wondering... What's new in the world of PC games? FPS's, RTS's, or any other good games, wether they have online play or not.

What am I playing now?
    Worms Armageddon (Been playing since 1999, a hard game to give up)
    Battlefield Heroes (You guys will LOVE this game when it's released. I just wish it would come out of the freaking beta so you can all enjoy it!!)

So, what are some games from the last few years I should check out? What are some games from NOW I should check out? What are YOUR "Must Haves"?

The only recent games I am aware of anything about are:
    Spore (meh, not my thing...)
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 (Definately buying this, I own every C&C game except this)

Thanks guys :D 

Oh, BTW, some of the games I have loved in the past are the Jedi Knight series and the Star Wars: Battlefront series. Any good flight combat games? (anything Star Fox-esque out there? haha)

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Flight games that're Star Fox esque on the PC? Sorry, cant think of any. The most recent flying game that comes to mind is Tom Clancy's HAWX, which is also for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. I've been looking for some good ones too and have no luck, about all there is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Dont want to sound like a broken record, but if you havent checked it out already, check out Crysis! It's a First-Person-Shooter that's somewhat futureistic. What makes the game so cool (for me anyways) is that you're basicly a Delta Force trooper in a nifty nano-suit. The nano-suit can switch between different modes, you can turn invisable, take extra punishment, move fast (I mean like... crazy fast!), or have super strength. The game, while not really open world game like GTA has really big levels and it's up to you on how you want to accomplish the mission. The AI's pretty good too, they're proced cautously through the forest making as little noise as possible, they'll have the buddies back them up, and they put up a good fight. Crysis also has another game that is more action focused called Crysis Warhead. Both games have a very rough set of system requirements so that'll challenge your PC's specs :D 

3. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

That sounds like a good game, I'll look it up further when I get home.

I hear Fallout 3 is a good one for free roaming and doing your own thing. Is that true?

That sucks about the flight games... Somebody really needs to pick up on that concept.