Comics are EXPENSIVE!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Jaicen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I was bored at work and I decided to work out how much i'll be paying for a complete run of the new Before Watchmen series.
    If I pick up all the issues brand new, at £2.80 per issue, it works out to something like £95.

I'll say that again, Ninety Five English Pounds!?

Those of you who are quick with the calculations will realise that the twenty issue run of Regeneration One is going to rush me £56.

Makes those TPB's look like staggering value now doesn't it!

I paid less than £10 for the Watchmen tpb.

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are expensive, just like anything else one would have interest in collecting (toys, DVDs, etc). And if you ever try to sell anything off (at least in my experience) you'll only get a small fraction of what you paid for it all back.

3. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This is what ultimately pushed me from reading comics. I still pick up a few here and there, but I just don't have the budget to buy as many as I would like. I still have it stuck in my brain that comics should cost $.75. That is what I used to pay for them as a kid. Now I don't know of any that are less than $4. The paper and printing may have improved, but it is still a floppy book of paper. It is hard for me to adjust to that sometimes.

What I find even more troubling is that digital comics COST THE SAME. They don't even have to print anything! I know, I know... there are still costs with hosting the digital version... it just compounds my confusion. I see it as getting less (no physical copy) for the same price, therefore less value.

But I did buy all 12 of Autocracy... only to see the TPB is available soon. (and probably cheaper)

4. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

This thread should be moved down to the regular comics forum. But yeah, comics are pricey. It can help sometimes to wait for the trade collections. But I think in the case of Before Watchmen, they've jacked up the price due to the hype, so those trades are likely to be pricey too.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    for what its worth, MTMTE is totally worth every damn penny

6. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

-ZacWilliam, reason it's almost the only comic I buy monthly anymore. Years ago I bought nearly everything Marvel published. When they learn their lesson they'll drop digital prices to 99¢. Or the industry keeps dieing. One or the other.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Especially when you compare comics to books. That's no fair comparison because books are only black & white usually. But you get much more story in a book. But I still buy every now and then comics. Sometimes the thicker comic books catch my interest, but most of the time I don't want to spend the money for them. A thick comic costs often 12 to 18 Euros and the thin 100 pages comics (they include usually 4 to 5 of the american issues as one comic) cost about 5 to 6 Euros. Sadly the most interesting comics are those that get released only as the thick ones and not as individual issues.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    BUT a picture is worth a thousand words. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Admittedly, I hadnt thought about comparing it to a regular book price.

9. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Dude, wait until you STOP buying comics. I think I went through a week long rage-fest realizing how much money I wasted on comics for YEARS. It's mind boggling. Comics also have an almost zero resale value. I just donated them to my local library, which promptly kept the TPB's and through the rest in the garbage.

10. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I always bought loose comics, but thanks to Mike Costa's run on Transformers I switched to TPB. I mean, more than 4 euro for a single comic that I read through in five minutes or less and feeling ripped off at the end of it? TPB cost me between 12 and 20 euro, take up less space on the shelf and are more solid.

So, a big thank you to Mike Costa for me.

(I've since decided to read all my comics in TPB format)

11. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

Ive spent an obscene amount on comics in the past few weeks. I was always planning on catching up with IDW stuff through trades but seeing SPLIT LIP rave about MTMTE got me all antsy in my pantsy to get back into it. So I ordered the 5 that had come out since I stopped reading, only a few early ones arrived much later than the rest so I couldnt get started.

I had MTMTE sitting there taunting me and I couldnt read it until the others showed up so I decided to order a couple of classics Id always wanted but never had the motivation to actually track down. Then I branched out and started getting more recent stuff.

I ended up spending several hundred because of one persons (very) positive comments finally convincing me to start catching up on old stuff. So yeah, comics cost a lot. Especially if your after tie ins that dont always have a whole lot to do with the series you actually want.

Trades are great though, I love sitting in the Lazyboy and getting through a 200 page story in one go.

12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I completely changed my buying habits but not because of the cost, purely because I realised at an average of 8 pages of adverts per comic, I essentially have 20 boxes of nothing but adverts.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I have cut way down.
    I used to purchase many different titles, deliberatly purchased new unknown books and followed specific writers and artists.

Now its just TF stuff, X-Force and X-Factor. Works out to about a comic a week.
    $4×52 = $208 a year.

14. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I only get TF stuff, maybe thats why it doesnt seem so bad to me.

15. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Yeah I only buy TF comics. The comic shop I got to is awesome, I got my own little folder and the end of every month or so I come in and pick up whatever issues I got in there. And they make sure to put anything TF related in my folder. So, I'm happy.

I'd buy the TPB's but I'm one of those who can't wait very long. I can wait long enough to have a few issues to read everytime I go in but not enough to wait for the TPB. I keep thinking I will miss out on something awesome Sideswipe did lol.

16. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Then if a company started printing on cheaper paper and lowered the price you would buy them? More of them? Would you still buy the TPB's if they were on better paper and the price was a little more?

17. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the process of buying and reading comics in their small chapters, but the cost!

Like most people here, I mostly just read TF stuff, currently i'm only getting BW and Regeneration 1.
    I am collecting the Judge Dredd complete case files too, they're excellent value.

I was almost set on jumping into MTMTE, but looking at the additional costs is starting to put me off. Especially considering that it's an on-going, and I would hate to jump ship.

EDIT: I like the glossy print of modern comics, however I would be very happy to pay a bit less to have something of the matt quality of the 100 page special.
    However, that's not something that modern comic companies are likely to be interested in. I'd like more durable TPB's that's for sure.

18. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Sigh....I know! I've been buying comics since 1989, and hoped they would at least retain SOME value - but really....no.

I've been wanting to get rid of most of my comics and put some complete runs (20-ish issues, all NM and in Mylar bags!) on Ebay for $4.99 as a starting bid - and no one even bids on it. Relist it and the same thing. It's a bummer.

19. inomuiro

inomuiro Well-Known Member

I used to spend much more on single issues, but in the last years I've usually sticked to TPB's and HC's... now there are a couple of books I buy regularly at my local comic book store, and the rest are mostly original language collections I order through Amazon, or European comics. I buy the printed versions of some webcomics I like, too.

MTMTE is the only original language comic-book I get shipped to me monthly even if I plan to buy the collections too.

I don't think comics are especially expensive, all-considered... but it depends a lot on the single series. I tend to get into the work of single authors more than into series, because of that... I feel the general quality of a Marvel or DC (or IDW) title varies too much, depending on who does the writing and the art, so I buy stuff created by authors I already know I like, and I give others a chance, but I drop the books pretty quickly if they don't grab me soon.

I think the next title I will be spending money into will be Vaughan and Staples' Saga.

20. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Realitively speaking, comics are quite cheap. Basically the same price as a pint of beer.