Comic subscription

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by jinx23, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    If you could just one regeneration, rid or masters in disguise - which would you choose? I am looking into getting one series and would appreciate any reccomendations

Thanks

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MTMTE, especially if you haven't read any other comics. The first TPB is out now, and the next is due shortly.

That said, i'm reading all three as I think that RID complements MTMTE really nicely, and they're heading for a convergence.
    I also love Regeneration One, because i'm a total G1 whore. If you haven't read the original run, it's not likely to excited you so much.
    Also pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers TPB, you will LOVE IT.

3. Snoop

Snoop Member

I'll second that. More Than Meets The Eye was my first TF comic. With only limited knowledge of the TF Universe before reading it, I found it to be a great place to jump in. It's a fresh start with a lot of new characters (Well, new to me, haha!)

The artist/writer team on MTMTE is tops. They inspired me to seek out more of their TF work, and thus flesh out my knowledge of the TF Universe a bit. Anything that really confuses me I've been able to work out with the help of the TFwiki.

Its good fun science-fantasy. High adventure set among the stars. Alex Milne is my personal favorite of the many talented TF artists, with Nick Roche (who I think did the first issue) being a damn close second. The storytelling is dense and fast paced. Quite tight.

The Drift, Stormbringer, and to a lesser degree, The Last Stand of The Wreakers are mini-seires you might be interested in if you like MTMTE.

RID is okay. But I don't like it half as much as MTMTE.

4. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MTMTE I think is the best. The only debate I have is that more of the characters I have typically liked are in RID, but man if the MTMTE crew isn't growing on me.

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep. When the different series were first announced, I was like, 'Political Intrigue on a re-born Cybertron, I'm all for that. Rodimus takes a crew of nobodies on a space adventure, got no time for that.'

How very, very wrong I was. Although I am thoroughly enjoying RID, especially now that it's starting to go somewhere, and Barber is starting to get all his plots lined up, MTMTE is the singular best piece of Transformers fiction ever. Roberts is a twisted genius of a writer, and Milne and Roche are superb artists.

They've made me adore characters that I never thought I would, in an off Earth/Cyberton setting that I always said would make for a pointless story, and drawn in a style that I initially disliked. I cannot gush enough :D 

6. Snoop

Snoop Member

It's funny to me, b/c everything that you thought you'd dislike about MTMTE is what drew me to it in the first place. :) 

What's a "pointless" story?

7. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Thanks guys mtmte it is

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd always said that it was a stupid idea to take Transformers away from Earth for anything other than the odd short bursts, flashbacks, or to advance the events happening on Earth. It's the whole 'Robots in Disguise' thing that drew me towards them in the first place, hiding amongst us in plain sight and waging their war right under our noses. I'd always thought I'd lose all interest once that factor was completely removed. Therefore all kudos for the team for turning me from a complete sceptic of the concept to getting jittery every forth Wednesday if Comixology doesn't update quickly enough :D 

A massive part of it is down to the humour and characterisations, as well as the world building that's going on to better immerse me in the Cybertronian culture. It's much more Red Dwarf than the serious Star Trekkish journey to the stars that I thought it would be when the idea was first mooted. I fell in love with it right from the first 6 page preview that we saw that had approximately 23 times the actual content than the majority of the previous On-Goung had in it's entirety.

9. Snoop

Snoop Member

OH man yes, the fun humor, the slight absurdity, and the characters are what's great about this book. And that speaks volumes. Initially I might have come to this because, "hey robots are cool! This art is fantastic and lively!", but that can only carry one's interest so far.

What makes this a great book, and one that I think stands head and shoulders above most other TF work, is the fact that they are Transformers isn't even important. They are just good characters having adventures. If the cast of the Lost Light was human, or any other species, this would still be a great book. Its like, their superficial trappings are great but just that -superficial.

Though, having just said that, I am glad to not have humans getting in the way of my big robot stories. LOL I feel like the whole RID on Earth thing ran its course 20 years ago. The basic concept is fun, but eventually there's no more hiding and you need to move forward.

And even then, as a kid, I didn't give a crap about Spike and his fat dad. I just wanted to see Jazz doing his whole scat-man thing, and Cliffjumper working out his short-guy syndrome. Basically, I had no real interest in TF *until* they left Earth and were having space adventures. :D 

Its a testament to Roberts and Milne that they draw in fans who come at the material from such different angles.

10. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Regeneration,because it doesn't have bumblebee as the supreme autobot faction leader.