Comic Deaths & Resurrections

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, Nov 3, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, can't believe I left that one out too! Superior's death was kinda of stupid and yet er, awesome too...left me speakless for awhile. Too bad, DW folded because I believe the humans were rebuilding him.

2. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Best comic death for me is Captain Marvel in Kingdom Come. He was so mentally messed up, but for that one brief moment, the true hero came out. And he tossed Supes to the ground like a bitch :) 

Best Resurrection: Tie between Hal Jordan (For the line "Get the hell away from them Sinestro") and Colosus

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Worst Resurrection? Jason Todd, by a fucking massive, massive landslide. I mean, you take the -defining- moment of 1980's Batman, probably the very character himself and then... "OMG SUPERBOI PUNCHED REALITY!" and shit on it.

I don't even -care- how well it was handled in the book, the explanation doesn't cut it. The fact that they just couldn't let it be sticks in my throat. It ranks up there with the Spider-Man clone saga for utterly redundant ideas from a creative team desperately clutching at straws.

Worst Death: Ben Reilly. Dude got punked. And a crappy "Zomg I am teh clonez! Gurgle". Fuckers.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Haha! It's kind of funny. After all these years, it apears DC is finally using a "Marvel style" multiverse that doesn't interfere with each earth ALL the time.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, in my opinion it seems that DC has blundered in "returns" more than Marvel - Hal Jordon and Jason Todd...but yet, Ben Reilly really got the shaft...especially with all the "character building".

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Best Death: Jean Grey - Dark Phoenix Saga

Even with all the mucking about Marvel's done over the years with Jean it's still one of the best comic book stories ever told.

Best Resurrection: Oliver Queen - Green Arrow: Quiver, Sounds of Violence, & Archer's Quest

Easily the best portrayal of a resurrected character being welcomed back by his friends and Ollie having to adjust to a world that has moved on without him while he was gone. With most characters these days it's "hello I'm back now let's move on like nothing happened." The repercussions of Ollie adjusting and having a real family for the first time are *still* being felt in his book to certain degrees about 60+ issues later.

Character who had the best death who has yet to be resurrected and better stay dead or I'm gonna kill Marvel: Illyana Rasputin (Magik, Colossus's sister)

Worst recent deaths and resurections: Psylocke (why even bother killing her to begin with), Magneto & Jean (under Morrison, and then whoops it wasn't really Mags after all), Jason Todd (why is he even back!!!??? His death was one of the all time comic book bests), Cecelia Reyes (off-pannel!!!??? when she had so much potential).

Character I feel is going to be killed off soon and they'd better bring her back pronto or I'm gonna kill Marvel: Jubilee (my favorite female comic book character ever!)

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was this ever confirmed in a story and not just a letters page (which I think was the only page it was ever hinted at she died)

Marvel Universe 9 reckons she's still with us thought her wereabouts are unknown since Weapon-X abandonded Neverland.

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

It wasn't confirmed to my knowledge so maybe she is still alive. I can hope.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Cecelia's death was never confirmed. A storyline with her brother started in Uncanny, but with Claremont being removed from the title it's been dropped.

I imagine Cece is hanging out in some nightclub in limbo with Marrow, Mimic, Generation X's Penance, and the majority of the classic New Mutants.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually, I believe Penance is supposed to be in the new Loners book.