Comic Deaths & Resurrections

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payres, Nov 3, 2006.

1. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What are your best & worst comic deaths and best & worst comic resurrections ?

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    best death, jason todd

best resurrection, jason todd....

i dont recall how they did it, but green arrow seems like a good one as well...love that guy....

3. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Best Death? Ben Rielly (terrible death, just glad he died and took that awful clone saga with him).
    Best Resurrection? Colossus

4. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    best resurrection was Deadpool after Agent X I loved that story

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    oh yeah, colossus was great too...

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Best death is Earth-2 Superman. He died as he lived, fighting incredible evil and saving countless trillions.

Best resurrection would be either Jason Todd or the Winter Soldier. They're both great ways to bring back dead characters.

Worst death would be Cluemaster (from Batman). Eaten alive by irradiated ants is a pretty crappy way to go, especially when you somehow then turn up alive with some nasty scarring but with all limbs intact (which certainly wasn't the case when his death was shown!)

In terms of the most sickening comic death, I'd go for anything involving Major Force killing a Lantern's girlfriend. He's one twisted character.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Death: hard to pick one. I actually liked Winter's death at the end of Stormwatch.
    Resurrection : I concur, Jason Todd

off topic, but how did Major Force kill the girl? Was it Kyle's gf?

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Best death: Dream in Sandman.
    Best resurrection: Colossus in Astonishing X-Men. So damn cool.

Worst death: Sue Dibny in Identity Crisis.
    Worst resurrection: Jean Grey (the first one). Really ruined one of the best X-Men stories ever.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yes, it was Kyle's girlfriend, and he stuffed her body into a refridgerator, or an oven. I forget which.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best death: Flash-Barry Allen. Awesome and most tragic. He died alone and no heroes knew about it till the end of Crisis.

Best Resurrection: Green Lantern-Hal Jordan. Probably the best series to come out in the past couple of years. Each issuie's ending made me totally impatient for the next one.

11. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

He folded up Kyle's GF and stuffed her in the Fridge.

Then he left Kyle a note sayin there was something special in the Fridge for him and signed it in her name (Or he made her write before she died)...

Best Death: Barry Allen and Kara Jor El

Best Resurrection has to be Jason Todd.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best Best: Its a tie for me - Barry Allen with Jason Todd...although Earth 2's Superman was pretty good too...all 3 die nobley...

Worst Death: Phantom Lady by Deathstroke...hard to describe but I kinda feel sorry for her.

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Fridge. He stuck his mom in the oven, but then it turend out not to be her.

And I can't believe you guys, best resurrection was Jason Todd? You know he came back because Superboy punched a wall in space right, RIGHT? The return of Bucky was 100 times better. I actually think Winter Solider was the best resurrection, followed closely by Deadpool and Colossus.

Best death, I'd have to say Aunt May. It wasn't spectacular or anything but it was really heart-felt. It's Spidey's only means of constant support and they killed her off. It was tragic.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a bit difficult to pick just one, especially for 'worst', but some of my picks...

Best Deaths
    - Hal Jordan (Final Night) - Although it was kind of a deus ex machina cop-out ending for the 'event', Hal's sacrifice was very well-written (especially the funeral afterwards) and really made me care about the character.
    - Jason Todd (Death in the Family) - I like this one because the surrounding story was excellent, it was a step in the Joker becoming a more credible villain and it was a defining moment for Batman.
    - Aunt May (Amazing Spider-Man #400) - One of the best Spider-Man stories ever. No big supervillain fight, just a touching story of Peter saying goodbye to his aunt...and a well-done painful moment for Ben when he couldn't get a chance to say goodbye. Too bad they screwed it up later.

Best Resurrections
    - None. I don't think there's been a single resurrection that's been handled well. They all have either awkward retcons, thin explanations or generally poor writing (or all three). The return of Superman was the closest to being a good resurrection, but it still wasn't that great.

Worst Deaths
    - Alex (Green Lantern) - While it did show consequences for being a hero and made Kyle mature a bit (and gave us the name for "Women in Refrigerators" syndrome), I think they got rid of a promising character too soon.
    - Crisis on Infinite Earths survivors (E2 Lois Lane, E2 Superman, Alexander Luthor) - All three of these characters deserved a better fate than they got at the end of Infinite Crisis.

Worst Resurrections
    - Hal Jordan (Green Lantern: Rebirth) - Not that I've got any real problem with Hal returning to life, but the way it was pulled off was terrible ('yellow space parasite', multiple awkward white-washing retcons, general poor writing, etc).
    - Jason Todd - Unlike Hal, I'm not sure I like the idea of Jason being alive. However, the main problem I have with this is how he was brought back. IMO, the Batman books and 'cosmic stuff' shouldn't mix at all, so I don't like the 'Superboy Reality Punch' explanation for his return.
    - Sort of connected to the above, but any character who returns to life as a random, unintended side effect of reality manipulation. It's just lazy writing to say "oh yeah, he/she is alive now...somehow...because Wanda/Superboy Prime/Parallax/God messed with the timeline last week".

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Ah, damn, that's right. Put that down as second worst resurrection. Aunt May's death was a great moment, and they crapped all over it by making that woman just an actress while the real May had been kidnapped by Norman Osborn.

And yeah, Alex's death was a bad one, too. Poor Kyle Rayner, his girlfriends have a 100% mortality rate. I miss Jade. :( 

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm dissapointed in you guys. How could none of you mention Captain Marvel? Definately one of the greatest deaths ever. The first (and only as far as I know) time a hero ever died from something as normal as cancer. Really drove home the "real people" aspect of the Marvel style of comics. I honestly can't see any hero's death topping that.

Worst for me have got to be all the superhero loved ones (girl/boyfriends, wives/husbands, parents, relatives, friends) DC offs for no reason. They do it far too often.

17. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

For best death I have to go with Scorponok and then Optimus in marvel G1 transformers #75. Showing the dying remains of each character really hit home for me when I was a kid reading these comics.

Worst resurrection was Apocalypse, everything he showed up in the last year was straight up crap. Absolute and utter garbage. Also hated Magneto being resurrected after Morrison's Xmen run. It was just too soon.

The resurrection I most enjoyed was Winter Soldier, Brubaker handled that well.

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I cried like a baby.

I gotta agree with that, though a lot of the time there is really no other way to do it, which sorta drives home the point "dead should mean dead."

My pick for worst death would have to be the Hornet. I loved the character, and the fact he gets little more than a "hey, Wolvie killed this guy" just really irks me. He deserved better.

Worst ressurection would have to be Norman Osborne. He had a healing factor. That was it.

Best resurection would probably be Colossus I think. Just the emotional impact of it...

19. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Best ressurection: colossus
    Worst ressurection:jason todd

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to choose Marvell but I also felt that his "death" was more of like an after thought by the writers...he was a great hero and kudos to Marvel for keeping him dead but as much as I like Marvel, I have always felt that his death wasn't "grand".