Comic Collection Software

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Teratron, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

I'm just starting to get back to collecting comics again after a couple years away due to finances. One of the first things I did was to open up Comic Collector Live to review what all I was missing. However, I discovered that it would not show any comics beyond what was already in my database from a couple years ago unless I purchase an annual subscription. I thought I remembered the software being free, so I was a little discouraged at that point. I decided to take the opportunity to review my options, and was hoping for some feedback.

There seem to be three main options: ComicBase, Collectorz.com Comic Collector, and Comic Collector Live. CCL has the advantage that I wouldn't have to re-enter most of my collection, but I'm not crazy about the annual subscription cost for the features provided when I last used it. ComicBase sounds like the most powerful of the three, but seems to restrict many features to higher-cost subscription versions. The low-end versions don't seem to stack up to the competition, while the higher-end versions seem like too-expensive overkill. Collectorz.com's software seems to have all the main features I want, including an Android app, apparently no subscription fee, and supposedly lifetime free updates for purchasing the pro edition according to an old review I read. However, it appears to be a generic collecting software with a comic edition rather than a dedicated comics program, so I wonder how it really stacks up to the dedicated options. I also don't see any mention of update costs on the actual web site, so I don't know if that lifetime free update option still exists.

Do any of you have any experience with any of these, or any other options I may have missed? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice you may have.