comic book movies - extended editions...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, May 25, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    okay, i need to buy ghostrider and fantastic four 2, but i'm not sure if i should buy the regular editions, or the extended cuts...has anyone seen the extended? and f4 might not even be extended, i think its just got an extra disc with special features...

also, what about spiderman 2.whatever...i've got 2, does the extra addition really make much of a difference?

2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

First: NEVER buy the first (or maybe even the second) release of a comic book movie. I've been burned too many times before...

I honestly don't know about the Fantastic 4 2 2-disc set, so I can't comment. I actually think the Ghost Rider extended edition is the one to get, simply because it has an extended transformation sequence. The theatrical version has Johnny's first GR transformation cut up into bits punctuated by flames dominating your screen. The extended edition shows every bit of skin and muscle burning up and revealing his skull. Since I deem this to be the best scene in a, uh, not-so-good movie, I think this warrants getting the extended cut.

I also think Spider-Man 2's extended cut is worth it. There are a bunch of new character-development bits that you won't really care for, and one or two new fight scenes that do add to your enjoyment.

But at the end of the day, if you already own a copy of any of these movies, don't bother buying another copy. The added scenes aren't exactly Blade Runner-esque retellings of the story or T2-like scenes that elevate an epic into an epic masterpiece.

3. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I am a firm supporter for getting the 2 disc sets. They are only a few bucks more and you get at least a few hours extra screen time.

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    if i get the special editions, i usually sell off the original version...no need for two movies that are basically the same...

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found the extended Ghost Rider was lame. All the extra footage is shitty and unnecessary for the movie. I think it is 15 minutes of added crap, and there is no option to watch the theatrical version. It makes the movie much longer and more boring.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only special extended edition that I found to be much better than the original was Daredevil. I really didn't like Daredevil until I saw the director's cut (or whatever the name of the edition was).

I would hope that the extended Ghost Rider would make that one better, but apparently it's still a piece of crap.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah with Daredevil the parts they took out was 1/2 the plot of the movie.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So quoted for truth. I got the directors cut at Target for $10 about 2 years ago. The Director's cut flows so much better than the theatrical version. Highly recommend it.

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    oh yeah, i'm a mega DD geek, i bought the directors cut as soon as it came out...and i force it down everyones throat...i love it when people complain that the movie sucked, and then i make them watch the directors cut, and then it blows their mind...i love it...guess i'll just get the regular ghost rider, and maybe the regular F4-2 also....thanks guys...

oh yeah, did anyone ever get the sin city extended cut?

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    My parents bought the original release for Fantastic Four (2005) in December of 2005, so technically I don't own the movie! I'm interested in buying the "Extended Edition" even if it only has three or four scenes that they should've included in the Deleted Scenes Section of the Original Release (Bastards).

It just makes me wonder how much "Deleted" they keep back and decide to put on DVDs when they market this stuff. I think I might end up buying that one, if only because of the reasons stated above and the cover looks better than the original release.

I don't think Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer has an extended edition (just regular release and "Power of the Cosmic" Two-Disc Edtion). If had no other illusions otherwise, I just wasted a lot of space writing this. Go Me!

I ended up buying the original X-Men (2000) DVD Release, just to spite the industry, but then my curiosity got the better of me and thus, when I went looking for X-Men 1.5, in Wal-Mart, they did not have anymore (that and Deluxe Edition of Resident Evil (2002). They tried to sell me a special-featureless Two-Pack DVD of Evil and Apocalypse.) I kicked myself for my stupidity.

I'll probably end up Renting the Directors Cut of Daredevil and Elektra (assuming Netflix.com owns those editions), just see how they are compared to the Theatrical Releases. However, nothing can convince me to watch any version of Ghost Rider. Ever.

Wait, Sin City had an Director's Cut? Why?

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well according to the 2 disc set I have sitting next to me it a recut, extended and unrated version separated into four stories.

The set also includes the original theatrical release.

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

The Sin City set is how all of these releases need to be handled. It's just an awesome set. Love it.

As for the Elecktra Extended Cut....anyone here seen it? Does it redeem the movie in any way, shape or form? Elecktra has been the only comic movie I absolutly hated (and I found things to like in Catwoman), but despite that, I'm really curious about what they could possible add to it...