Comic book confusion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Macross79, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

So I started reading the old comics, but I don't think they're the right ones. The ones I'm reading are the IDW Transformers Generations. For one second, I thought I was reading the 80's comics...silly me lol [​IMG] . What's the difference between the 80's G1 comics, re-generation and IDW generations? Do they place at the same time? At one point we see Bumblebee teaching Tracks, Hoist, Grapple and Smockescreen and next we see Perceptor as leader, have I missed anything? Please no spoilers

2. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Transformers: Generations - Transformers Wiki
    You referring to this series? Generations is the 80's G1 comics, but just a random-ish selection of them. Main draw to them is the Roche covers really. Regeneration One is written by Simon Furman and is IDW's continuation of the 80's Marvel US series picking up 30 years later and clashing with the UK continuations and G2. It has it's good and bad points.

The IDW reprints you are looking for are the classics series. Bit confusing in that there are two IDW classics series, but it is the ones with the black covers each featuring a single character, not the primarily white comic panel collage covers. They are older and omit issues included in the Marvel series. Half of these collections have also been collected in The Transformers Compendium. Not sure if it is out yet but the Classics TPBs are.

3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Generations was reprints of the old Marvel comics (If i'm thinking of the same thing) but they were only of highlight issues or something like that.

You're gonna want "The Transformers Classics" and "The Transformers Classics UK" if you're planning on reading all of Marvel G1 through IDW.

Regeneration One was a sequel to the Marvel G1 comics made by IDW relatively recently, and it replaces the G2 comics.

In case you didn't know what the Marvel UK G1 comics are, here's a brief history lesson; The US G1 comics ran monthly and had 80 issues in the main series, but the UK G1 comics ran weekly and had 332 issues. The UK weekly issues ran in between the monthly US comic (in the UK), which were divided in to shorter issues to fit the UK format.

Here's a reading order too: Marvel G1 "The Transformers" (UK) Chronological Reading Order

4. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

5. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The Generations series ran into problems because they were allowed to re-print certain issues and not others, and they only printed certain issues, but left out a lot of the in-between.