Comic book ads

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by MST3KFan, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM.

1. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    So I've been on this kick lately of buying cheap comics from the 80s and 90s.
    (It doesn't hurt that a Half Price Books near me has been selling whole bundles of comics for crazy cheap prices to fuel this fire.)

Anyway, while I've been reading the comic adventures of the X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, and others from decades past, the biggest thing I find myself drawn to is...the ads!

You know...those ads for whatever toys, movies, video games, or food products that were out or coming out at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone else find themselves drawn to those things in old comics?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    Oh, boy! I have so many of these things etched into my brain!

Especially ones for products that didn't exist here in Australia, so instead of being functional commercials they're just pop-art curiosities.

Marvel comics have run the adverts I tend to remember most fondly, because they seemed to be constantly running promotions offering free comics or trading cards inside snack packages.

images (1).jpeg

How many different Marvel books do you think are out there with this as their back cover? Dozens? Hundreds?
    It's like wondering how many pairs of blue jeans exist in the world!

This next one made me crazy, because while Australia has Pizza Hut, we never had any promotion like this.

images (2).jpeg

For only five bucks (with pizza purchase) you would get a VHS tape featuring 2 episodes of the X-Men animated series plus a five minute roundtable discussion with some of the most recognisable names in X-Men comics in 1993, a unique trading card with art I don't think I've ever seen elsewhere AND an exclusive comic book with a poster stapled into the middle.
    That's more swag than you get in a $20 showbag from the Royal Melbourne Show!

This third one just fascinated me when I first laid eyes on it in 1992.
    At the time, aside from comic strips like "Mr. Men" or Disney's "Uncle Scrooge," the only comics I knew were "Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" comics, because I had been given the First Graphic Novel printings which only had one or two advertisements in the back.
    Seeing how many full page ads were crammed into a monthly comic book was a real eye-opener for me!

C3CjNTXUcAAdQdb.jpg

This double-page Erik Larsen illustrated beauty first appeared in my life via "Ghost Rider" vol. 3 issue 19.
    I think, if I remember correctly, I traded a "Donald Duck" comic for that "Ghost Rider" issue just to own the art in this ad!
    I didn't even know the title of the book was "Ghost Rider" until I read it, because the characters on the cover obscure the title!

Did anyone out there ever call the 1-900 number and battle the X-Men's deadliest enemies?

I can't wait to see the ads other people remember!

~L~

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Wasn't that 1-900 number thing scammy? I think I remember reading some parents complained about kids raising a hell of a bill dialing those.

As for ads, man I'll forever love those old Hostess Fruit Pie ads featuring Marvel and DC characters.