Comic Art Comissions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Jaicen, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering if anybody here has comissioned any unique artwork from their favourite artists?
    I'm considering having something done, I need someone to tip me over the edge, so show me what you've got to get the envy flowing!

At the minute, i'm thinking of some simple line art on white canvas, something that looks like it's hand drawn and not a reproduction.

(Actually, I want the original of issue 113 on the wall, but that's never gonna happen!)

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I know I have. It's a great way to support the artists you love, while at the same time getting a really unique piece of memorobillia. It's also in a lot of cases the best way to get a piece of "official" (or at least official-looking) art of a concept you've got interest in.

Don't have anything scanned right now, but I've gotten sketches from Moylan, prints from Perez, I have a Sentinel sketch from Wyatt, and I had Milne turn a car I helped work on into a transformer!

3. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see your art if you find time.
    Is this an expensive business to get into?

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From eBay I snagged some original Guido Guidi line art from an issue of All Hail Megatron for a very reasonable price. It was a lot less expensive that I assumed it would be.

5. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    It's not a business. If you approach it as a business, it will not work. It is a deeply personal thing that puts you close to the artist and their work, and is a way of thanking the artist and celebrating their work through their talents.

If you're asking if it's expensive to get commissions, yes and no. The best way IMO (and the most traditional way) to have commissions done is through face-to-face meetings at conventions, though now, commissions can be done fairly easily through the internet. Some artists do prints of their work that they make available to the public in runs of various size, and these can often be the most cost-effective thing, since they're more mass-produced. In terms of original, hand-drawn stuff, though, it depends on the individual artist, who will set their own prices and terms. Some will do a black and white inked head-sketch for $20, for example, say around the size of a DVD case. A full-body sketch, a larger sketch, one that features multiple characters, one that includes color, etc. etc., will all increase the cost of the commission. Keep in mind you're paying for the artist's time and effort. So a few sketches, especially simple ones, aren't that hard to afford, but if you really get into becoming a patron of the graphic arts, you could end up spending hundreds of dollars before you know it.

Some people that go to conventions on a regular basis bring a sketchbook that they gradually fill with commissions from various artists, that's another thing to consider.

Some artists DO sell their original pencils for pages and covers, as well, but these are generally more valuable.

6. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get sketches done at conventions, currently themed on Decepticon Pretenders. When I started getting sketches I didn't really know what to get, but now I have a theme decided then I find it more enjoyable adding to the collection. Scans of most of them here.

I also have a few pages of original artwork, mostly from the Marvel UK comic, but I have a couple of Marvel US, G2 and some more recent things too. Original artwork can be expensive, but it's the same as any other form of collecting, stick to your budget and you'll be fine.

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would love some Original marvel artwork, but I can't imagine any of that coming up at a price I could afford.
    I don't go to conventions, I probably should but i always been a solitary collector kinda guy so I guess I could contact the artists online?
    I had a look at those sketches, they're great and very much the sort of thing that I'm looking for. I really like the simple black and white stuff so that's the direction I'd want to go.

8. mcluskyism

News Credits:
    Some original artwork is cheaper than you'd think. Check out Andrew Wildman's site, he has some for sale:
    Marvel Transformers - andrew wildman 

But definitely look into going to the conventions. Auto Assembly is good for Transformers, but there's also a few comic conventions in the UK where a lot of artists are and you'll get to meet a lot of the people who worked on Marvel UK.

9. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Sweet stuff.

Though I've always wondered, do you carry around a little art guidebook to what you want drawn, or just hope and pray that artist X has character Y committed to memory, or do they just wing it?

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Depends on the artist, though mant artists will carry along reference material with them to a show, or borrow from other artists that they know and/or are sitting next to. Or they look stuff up on cellphones and laptops and such. I've seen some just do stuff freehand as well, if it's characters they're used to. Sometimes you'll have to bring or supply your own reference material, especially if you're looking for something unique, and if you're already carrying around a sketchbook, a printout or two isn't much more to carry.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While not commissioned as such, I have a great sketch of Lockdown from Derrick J Wyatt on the inside cover of Allspark Almanac vol. 1. :) 

12. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sounds like an awesome thing to have, especiall as it would be a surprise to anyone that opened the book unawares.

My plan at the minute is to try and get something from A4 to A3 in size, just pencils and ink on white board. I have an idea in my head that i'd like to see two characters facing off, one of whom doesn't like to be called a bounty hunter.
    I'm reluctant to approach an artist at this point however, though i'm sure you can guess who, because i'm getting married on Friday, so right now funds are tight. I'm hoping to have a comission done for christmas though.
    Could anybody here who has paid for something like this give me an idea of the pricing I could be looking at, PM's if you'd prefer.

Also, I had a look at the Andrew wildman stuff, which looks great. I would LOVE that cover, but that's some serious money, and i'm not overly attached to the issues he has remaining. Guess I missed him selling off all the good stuff.

13. mcluskyism

News Credits:
    I usually either have the original toys or the Cybertronian guide with me. Depends what you want sketched, but generally always bring reference.

As for commission prices, it really depends on the artist. At conventions you can generally get sketches for £10-20, but more fully rendered art can run you £100+. If they don't have commission rates on their site, then contact the artist and ask.

14. Grimm

Grimm Me Hungry!

Great idea for a thread! Anyone got any more cool stuff to show?

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    While not Transformers-related, a few years back a friend of mine from another website managed to commission a piece from Jim Rosloff, a black and white re-creation of the the cover art he drew for the D&D module Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits. Rosloff even altered the characters from the original drawing to the be the characters used by my friend Mike and his friends when they played through it back in the 80's. I think it cost him @$300 framed and all (IIRC, it might have been more).

It was a beautiful piece of work, and the fact it was personalized made it so much better. So I'd say if you can get a chance to commission some artwork, go for it. That piece means the world to my buddy, the more so since I believe Jim Rosloff has passed on.

16. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I had Matt Moylan design my watermarks (an original TF based on my Astrological birth signs), which are plastered all over my Tumblr (potential NWS if you visit it)