Combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lazerrodphill, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazerrodphill

lazerrodphill Well-Known Member

Why does hasbro say its so hard to make combiners? When this guy devastator is AWESOME! He adds articulation to 20 year old figs with no problems. I don't care about hands and feet having to be on the side it's hard enough as it is to get a good fig. But to complain about extra parts is kinda lame. I really want a new combiner and please don't be animated! (only animated fig I'm even a little interested is ultra magnus) Well anyway who's your favorite combiner, mine are Predaking and computron. Also what are your opininons on the energon combiners. I think they're ok but if you look at the combiner alone they're really not better than g1 stuff. The small figs just have good articulation.

2. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, combiners are the only figures I like from G1, even when they were also bricks as their smaller components.

Looking at some good customs combiners some people have made using molds from Cybertron or the movie lines, I don't see why Hasbro says it's so difficult.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    TheDevestator = FULL OF WIN

4. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Here's my Favorite Combiners.

Decepticons/Predacons:

Devestator
    Menasor
    Bruticus
    Predaking
    Abominus
    Piranacon
    Monstructor
    Lio Kaiser
    Dinoking
    Battle Gaea
    G2 Devastator (yellow)
    G2 Devastator (orange)
    G2 Bruticus
    Tripredicus
    God Neptune
    Baldigus
    Ruination
    Arctic Ruination
    Desert Ruination
    Decp. Sixwing
    Devastaor 6 Builder
    Black Sixturbo
    Universe Devastator (micromaster)
    Devastator Maximus
    Bruticus Maximus
    Universe Devastator(Landfill repaint)
    Classics Devastator

Autobots/Maximals:

Superion
    Defensor
    Computron
    Raiden
    Road Ceaser
    Landcross
    Sixliner
    Sixbuilder
    Sixwing
    Sixturbo
    Sixtrain
    Guard City
    G2 Superion
    Magnaboss
    Tripredicus
    Sixbuilder (repaint)
    Berserker Sixwing
    Sixtrain (repaint)
    Hate Plague Sixtrain
    Black Landcross
    JRX/Railracer
    Buildking/Landfill
    Landfill (yellow)
    Superion Maximus
    Universe Superion(micromaster)

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Question...........When did Hasbro ever say it was difficult to make Combiners????

I'm not doubting you but I havent heard any such statments from Hasbro.

And to begin with its not like Hasbro designs every TF we've gotten over the past few years.

And we got combiners with the Armada,Energon and Cybertron toylines.

We even got 2 combiners in the Beast Wars toyline.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It comes up at every Botcon, more or less. The general response is "we could do it, but it ties up one designer to work on five toys who all have to fit together as well as transform into both modes."

They have also raised the issue of making the things available, with your typical case of Transformers only having 4-5 items in it, a traditional combiner would either take up most of a case, or be split across two. Then there's the issue of making sure all the components are out in large enough numbers so everyone can complete the combiner. To their credit, this worked in Energon, though it would have worked better if only two combiners were made, not three.

Actually, yes they more or less do. There's a partnership between the Hasbro design team and the Takara engineers, generally, either side thinks of an idea, the Hasbro designers then do the bulk of the design work and Takara translates it into three dimensions. That's why there are so few regional exclusive molds any more.

The combiners in Armada and Cybertron were designed differently - they were made to interact with Optimus. Although again, they were probably all designed at the same time, by the same person - however, in his case, because he was a leader toy, it was probably considered worthwhile to have one staff member work on it all.
    Energon was different, it was more a case of designing all the toys with four modes, and making sure the plugs were in the right spot. A brave experiment but I feel it got in the way on some of the toys.
    The Beast Wars guys were different again since they were brought out as gift sets and sold as Ultras. Plus that was back when Kenner was working on the line as a subsidiary of Hasbro.

You also didn't mention RiD, which to an extent proved how hard it was to do the Combiners - I never found some of the parts at retail here. We never got the trains at all, but that's by the by.

7. mat`amit

mat`amit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    my fav is all g1 combiners especially superion (autobot) and bruticus (decepticon)

8. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

In a nutshell, combiners need sufficient skull-sweat to be triplechangers as well as having all the components contribute to a non-sucky super-robot mode. So it takes up more design time for a given size/price point. Given that the same price could be charged for a toy which required less resources to design it, it's not as economically viable.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Well I found Railspike and Midnight Express from a local shop but didn't complete the set until I came across the last member in the London Hamleys toy store.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I understand the complications of designing them, but it does add an element of completionist fervour too... this angle has been recently explored with superhero figure sets where if you get every character in the wave, you have enough parts to build a totally different oversize figure. I think it's a great feature that encourages buying other figures in the line. And as long as the combiner gimmick isn't the ONLY thing the figure has going for it, then it doesn't even matter if the combiner component figures are released in different waves.

Combiners are really not as hard to make as they would have us believe. Looking at the innovations numerous kitbashers have managed on that front, it wouldn't take much to add connector ports/joints to many designs. Personally I would welcome this form of extra value as opposed to the array of gimmicks we've gotten in TF lines up till now (looking at YOU, Cyberkeys!)

I remain unconvinced. Surely Hasbro's only reason to deny us is because they're jerks. ;) 

zmog

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    It would have probably been easier to say which one weren't your favourites :p 

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thanks I had not heard that before.

Thats not always the case.Aside from the first run of G1 figures [84/85] that were completly designed by Takara [or other Japaneses companies] with out any input from Hasbro....that last leg of the G1 toylines were Japan designed only.

The few new molds from the Car Robots 2000 [RID] were completly designed with out Hasbros input and quite a few figures from Beast Wars 2 and Neo were designed with little to no input from Hasbro.

Now I know that Hasbro claims that they had a hand in designing Armada,Energon and Cybertron but for some reason I question the extent of their involvment in the designing phase.But thats my opinion.

But the line still had combiners.

Again combiners

And still

I can believe that I for got about them.

Must have been sleepy.

13. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    Bruticus is the best lol

14. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

Having had them in the past is hardly a point against dropping them. If HasTak's not currently interested in combiners you can bet it has to do with disappointing sales in regards to the extra efforts it takes to design them.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Possibly....... but my point is that it really hasnt been that long since we've gotten some Combiners.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Really? I got 'em all in one go, and I was in Kettering, for cryin' out loud. We had a tiny Toymaster and a Woolies, and neither were great for stock.

Possibly... but the point of the thread is why Hasbro seem so reluctant to do them again.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Which is why I originally asked the question......."When did Hasbro ever say it was difficult to make Combiners????"

Till I saw this thread I had not heard anything like that from Hasbro.

But since you brought it up again......Why complain that Hasbro isint making combiners when it hasnt been that long since we got any????

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    with articulation nowadays they would need to be able to move at the knees and elbows at least,Unless they change to a three or four bot combiner.

G1 combiners wouldn't be accepted nowadays due to their brick articulation.imo

19. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be perfectly content with getting new gestalts that mimicked the way they put together the Energon ones because I like those just fine. At least if it means we get more because I like my gestalts. My favorite is still Predaking though. He is great. They should go steal some more designs or pick the trash cans from Bandai or however that worked. No wait, they just got a designer from them, didn't they? Whatever!

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'd love to see a new combiner or two, but it's not a big deal if we don't for a couple years or something. Knowing my luck, they'll come out with a really great looking and articulated Classics Computron when I finish my custom one. If that does happen, I'll still get it, but it would still be a little annoying, lol. I can understand the whole too hard to make statement. Hopefully it won't be too long before Hasbro does get working on another combiner of some sort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.