Combiners???? Where are they ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by vektsilver, May 28, 2008.

1. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Just wondering if anyone more in the know than most of us here can say whether or not we will see combiners in this series.

Its just noticeably lacking combiners of any kind in animated. I personally would like to see the cars from "velocity " turn out to be stunticons. I just get the feeling this series is steering away form combiners. There hasn't even been a hint of it yet as the constructicons are noticeably huge and only a pair.

Any thoughts ?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They stated at BotCon no old Combiners for Animated. Wether this means no Combiners period or that any taht show up will be new names and faces in up for debate. The closest thing we have to a combiner are the two jet-bots that link up in jetmode.

3. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    do they only link in jet mode?
    and maybe we will get Combiners in season 3

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Only in jet mode.

5. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *eye twitches*
    that's...........annoying

6. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, it's not like it hasn't been done before (re: G1 Dreadwind and Darkwing).

As for combiner gestalts, I doubt they'll be in Animated any time soon (if ever). It just doesn't fit in with the superhero aspect of the show. I don't remember the X-Men or Avengers ever merging into a single being, with the possible exception of Onslaught and Phalanx. But I don't count those either, since it was an outside influence that caused the merge, not an ability the individuals were born (designed) with.

7. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    The Jets combining in jet mode is just an assumption.
    The only thing hasbro said was that they combine, not how they combine.

At least according to the botcon reports.

8. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wait what????????????? i think i missed something here....

9. Zot

Zot Just hacked your system.

I think it would be cool, but who and why would they do it? In relation to the circumstances, Decepticons wouldn't need it with all their firepower, and the Autobots are more conservative, as shown when the Ark wouldn't follow through with Omega.
    So, neither side really has a purpose to create them...
    Although, I may just be thinking too far into things...

10. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jetfire and Jetstorm

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Like he said, I just assumed. I remember another site (I want to say Tformers, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't them) saying taht it was stated they do not combine into a robot, I assumed they combined into a jet. (I figured homage to Dreadwind/Darkwing > Jetfire/Jetstorm?)

12. Cujo

Cujo United States Air Force

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok

13. Legless Pete

Legless Pete Chairman Kaga

Someone mentioned that heroes don't combine, and that may be true, but there are heroes that split. Perhaps the combiner would be the dominant personality and the individual robots be drones or copies of his consciousness, like they did in Energon? I could see the decepticons creating/sending a combiner to answer Omega Supreme.

14. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    That would be me. However, you do make an interesting point, though. Especially considering that IIRC, Devastator was originally created to combat Omega Supreme (although he ended up being a deterrent to the Dinobots instead).

That said, I still don't think they will do a true 5 member team. Or even a singular entity split over 5 or 6 drones.

I can see them doing something like this: a guardian-size Autobot is severely damaged (dismembered), and due to the new energy conservation edicts cannot be repaired properly, but they were able to rebuild one section into a functioning (but smaller) form. Over time, they discover that they are able to use the left over parts to repair others as a cost-saving measure. Later, a chance interaction with [insert McGuffin of choice here] draws the five/six together to merge into the original form with an augmented personality.

Although, reading back through that, it sound a little like where the club comic is headed with its combiner exclusives. Eh, I like it anyway.

15. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Also descriptions of the jet modes support them being able to combine in this mode as both of them were apparently shaped like 'V's suggesting a << type combination.

16. vektsilver

This series is too good to not include a combiner team for what ever reason they have. Combiners are one of the truly awesome aspects of any transformers series. Its a shame they are leaving it out especially when you consider how amazing this toyline has been and how cool a really well done combiner would look.

17. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Unless otherwise stated Animated will not have combiners in the series. Just because G1 had them doesn't necessarily mean Animated should.

18. vektsilver

Wow thats a bit condescending. Honestly G1 one has nothing to do with my want for one in animated. Your anti G1 sentiment is not appreciated cause it is the same as me saying what ever your favorite series is, that its garbage. Please dont bring that to these boards.

Besides Combiners are not relegated to only G1 I mean come on now. My wanting to see an animated version combiner is just that, "I want to see how animated handles a combiner" period. This is not based on allegiance to a series one or the other.

I mean are not combiners interesting and cool? OR do you feel they are garbage gimmick im not debating different series in this thread.,

19. Feral Magnus

Feral Magnus Well-Known Member

There wont be any combiners in the series, the transformations and body styles of the characters will make it too hard to make a decent looking combiner. Tho at Botcon they did state that the most they can do with Animated is make triple changers which IMO a triple changer could be a single entity of a combiner: Robot - Vehicle - Body Part. Thats a triple change right?
    Either way i just think that the animated style of the bodies compromise the creation of decent looking combiner unless each part of the combiner was a voyager size making the combiner extremely large.

20. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I think you read way too much into Swarlock's statement. He was bashing G1, he was just saying that just because it was in one doesn't mean it should be in another. I didn't read anything about hating G1 in there.

Frankly i think he is right. Not every series needs a combiner. There were no combiners in Beast Wars (least not in the show) and I think the combining gimmick has been way over done in recent years. Also the story of this series isn't really conducive to combiners, at least not regularly appearing combiners. They are focusing more on character development over "OMG IT'S A HUGE ROBOT!"