Combiners that don't combine

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nemisispringer, May 11, 2011.

1. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So how does evreyone feel on figures like this. For instance figures such as universe silverbolt, onslaught, special edition dragstrip or even the rotf constructicons.

Personally although I love the characters when they dont combine i really cant consider them a good figure incarnation. How do other people feel?

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    'Better than nothing'?

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It sucks but you take what you can.

For some reason Hasbro thinks combiners are a bad idea....thank God we got 3rd party groups to scratch that itch for us.

4. gtf316

gtf316 Bad hair day

Ebay:
    I think forgetting, for a bit, that they are part of a gestalt really allows the individual personality of the character to shine. Plus no sacrifices are made for a combined mode so you usually get a better figure in the end.

5. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This.
    I really never liked combiners at all, and preferred the individual bots. I'd love for a mass release of a new Razorclaw, or Scrapper, or Motormaster without having to sacrifice design space for a gimmick.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

If they have no intention to make a full combiner at some point, I say they should make the individuals as non-combiners. I'd certainly like to see a new Swindle.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I prefer them to not combine. It makes the figure and character stand on it's own merits rather than just being part of a bigger robot. I consider them better incarnations than the combining ones.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I don't care. I'm bored of the whole "combiner" idea, I'd rather just have nice-looking robots. If they combine, it's a bonus, but the lack of combination doesn't bother me.

9. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that forgetting they are combiners for a good while in fiction is absolouteley great to see the chracters shine on their own. However when it comes to figures i just can't take it.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess from one perspective it's better than nothing. I felt this way originally when Silverbolt and Onslaught were originally unveiled for Universe 2.0. However, I honestly feel like the combined mode/combiner team is such an integral part of these characters that it feels as though they are incomplete without them. Unfortunately, Hasbro seems to think that full on combiners are a bad idea (they stated when Power Core Combiners was being shown off at Botcon that they could do "traditional" combiners, but that they "wanted to try something new").

I get the opinion that it's more of a "cost and expense" thing as opposed to just being a "bad idea" as back during Energon they stated various reasons of cost/production/distribution as to why the three teams had to have only two limb molds repainted twice instead of four different limbs for each one. Than you have the issue of some of the limbs shelf warming in certain areas so that you never see the other limbs in a later wave. Or you get the issue that you had in RID where all the parts to the combiner were released only in one wave (Build & Bullet Train Teams were released this way) so if you don't snatch them all up at once... you miss them. Based on some things stated by reps at Hasbro they don't seem happy with either option and have said more than once that "combiners are a tricky thing at retail" more or less.

All that said; it could be a good while before Hasbro decides to go back and try "traditional combiners" again. Thankfully third party companies have taken an interest in getting some of the combiners out there (either by making a full blown one of their own or fixing up some of Hasbro's recent attempts) and that is cool if you can afford it. Otherwise I guess if you want the characters you have to accept what Hasbro offers us.

So far we have:

Universe Silverbolt, Universe Onslaught, Universe Drag Strip, Henkei Wildrider and Henkei Strafe. Along with three so-so attempts by Hasbro to repaint their three Energon Gestalts into G1 versions. Frankly, if they were going to make them not combine I would like them to finish off the teams at least, but then they haven't even given us anymore Dinobots outside of Grimlock.

11. MisfitRobot

MisfitRobot Robot Fighter

News Credits:
    don't forget about Reveal the Shield Strafe. It is pretty lame that the new combiners don't seem to combine. When I originally heard about Powercore, I thought we were finally going to get the missing combiner teams, but Powercore was a pretty big let down, and horribly scaled to the rest of the figures.

12. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they don't combine, it's not the same character.

13. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I honestly am not a fan of combiners, but give me the teams!

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    How do you explain Silverbolt.

Honestly, it sucks that they won't do combiners.

15. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually surprised nobody has made an upgrade set to turn Onslaught/Silverbolt into combiners.

16. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

QFT

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm perfectly fine with them. It helps that I understand Hasbro's reason for not making them combiners. Honestly, I'd rather have one really cool figure, rather than a team of small and crappy figures that combine into a bigger and crappier robot.

18. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like them. Hell, I bought the Silverbolt mold 3 times.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    What about him? He's fine and a good update to the character. (though personally I like the mould better as Darkwing)

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    The onslaught mold is awesome, period. If you just consider the mold for what it is in design and quality, it is amazing.