Combiner Wars Voyager Sky Lynx – Improved & Remade!

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by OmarJT82, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks to this thread by sodawilly (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/1061794-cw-sky-lynx-rear-leg-mod.html) and my own creative juices, I was able to modify and improve my Combiner Wars Voyager Sky Lynx to have his lynx and dino-bird modes and yet still correctly transform into his original space shuttle and dragon modes.

Here’s how I did it:

REAR LEGS:

When transforming to lynx mode, Sky Lynx’s rear legs become front legs.

Following this thread by sodawilly (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/1061794-cw-sky-lynx-rear-leg-mod.html), I sanded off and polished the interior of his dragon mode rear legs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The right/left sides of his blue feet were sanded down and polished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The upper bottom of the blue feet were sanded down and polished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top edge on the wrists of the red leg parts were carefully sanded down and polished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blue feet was painted in Pledge Floor Finish (3 coats each left to dry 24 hours after application) to give them a better shine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removed the interior white panel so the feet can now slide in and switched them up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FRONT LEGS:

When transforming to lynx mode, Sky Lynx’s front legs become rear legs. Here’s what I did to make them look more feline:

Since the red parts of front legs were glued together, I had no choice but to separate them with an X-Acto #10 General Purpose Blade:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the hole area of the gray joint, the front area of the plastic ridge was carefully carved off, sanded, and polished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The plastic mass behind was sanded down and polished:
    [​IMG]

The top edge of the rear elbow area of the red parts were carefully sanded down and polished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top of the gray part was carefully sanded down and polished so that the blue feet (whose right/left sides of his blue feet were sanded down and polished as well) could fold further in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A small spike was used to push a small hole into both right and left side of the joint area of the feet in order to correctly drill through the middle with in the following order: 1/32”, 3/64”, 1/16” Dremel drill bits at low speed:
    [​IMG]

Like the other blue feet, these were painted in Pledge Floor Finish (3 coats each left to dry 24 hours after application) to give them a better shine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using a Chicago Power Tools High Speed Cutter, the bottom left and right holes on the gray part were widened with the blue feet attached. This way, the opening of the holes on the inside won’t be widened and allow the blue feet to snap back in place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I kept using the Chicago Power Tools High Speed Cutter to make the hole wide enough for the ends of a White LEGO Bar 6L with Stop Ring to fit in. Once that was done, Gorilla Clear Glue was carefully spread on the top inside of widened holes with a needle and the first end of the bar was forcibly inserted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut off the rest of the bar and repeated the process on the other hole with the other end of the bar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After sanding down the inserted and glued-on bar ends until it was in level with the gray plastic, a small spike was used to push a hole in the middle in order to correctly drill a hole through the middle on both sides:
    [​IMG]

Using Dremel drill bits in the following order (1/32”, 3/64”, 1/16”) at low speed, holes were made in the middle to accommodate the newly inserted rivet (from a junk Generations Voyager Blitzwing):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carefully sanded down the other end of the rivet until it was in level with the white plastic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the feet can move tightly, not annoyingly loose and look more feline
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WEAPONS:

For the light gray sword-rifles, I wanted to drill a deep enough hole in the middle of the barrel.
    [​IMG]

To guide a Dremel 3/32” drill bit, I used a plastic screw shaft from a junk 2007 Movie Leader Premium Megatron which was held in place with a rubber band.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After carefully polishing and cleaning the newly drilled hole out, the sword-rifles now look like real guns.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, my Combiner Wars Voyager class Sky Lynx is a fully functional quad-changer!

Dragon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lynx:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]