Heavy/Scratch: Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus to G1 Cartoon Magnus WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by RodimusRex, Oct 24, 2017.

1. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

How hard would it be to rotate and swap the belt area to look more like the toy?:D :deadhorse: 

2. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

On the toy, it's just kind of symmetrical, isn't it?

I'd probably need to do a different model. This has indentations for the white pieces. It does occur to me people might want the thigh armor in red if you wanted more toy accuracy.

Honestly, though, the colors of this are off enough that I'm thinking of giving the pieces an epoxy coat, a model paint coat, and a gloss finish.

Shapeways blue is almost purple and their red is closer to Blaster's plastic.

3. Gaia Saber

Gaia Saber Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy! Dis gun be GUD!

G1 Style Magnus is one of favorite designs! I'm so hyped for this set I've painted my CW Magnus legs red in advance!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice! While I do like CW Magnus' look, there's something about the G1 boxy look that works for the character. I can't wait to see this completed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RodimusRex

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  6. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Please make them available in hd. Hips look great.

7. RodimusRex

A quick note: the side plates on the legs won't attach. Although maybe in HD they would...

8. RodimusRex

Also: if you're looking at painting...

It looks to me like Tamiya Italian Red, French Blue, and Naval White are near perfect matches. I am considering it but I may have to put it off awhile between bills, the holidays, and PotP. Warmer weather is better for painting.

9. RodimusRex

Oh. And I made it available in HD. Not cheap but I'm also not marking up by much. HD is just expensive.

I'm going to say, if I can objectively review my own stuff:

The crotch pieces are the best value even with the flaps not working. They do the most to G1 up the figure. They have to be removed to transform or achieve some poses. (They can be placed back on afterwards though.)

The legplates are the second best value. Better tab fits than the factory models. Plain, though.

The chest is where I'm least happy. Fits are either too snug or too tight, depending on the run. I went for a smaller chest crest than I could have. The red is jarringly different without paint. The transparent headlights are novel but not as much to my tastes as I'd have liked. I've switched back to the factory chest ATM. I'd like a Legends Magnus to partswap with. But I just got burned by a Chinese seller and, if I can get a refund, need to put money elsewhere for now.

10. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Aw man, was hoping you could leave them on for this.

11. Noma-Caa

Noma-Caa Well-Known Member

I was disappointed by that, too, but then I looked at my Magnus in vehicle mode, and the clearance is just so small, I don't think it would be possible to make anything that would fit for transformation.

12. RodimusRex

I think it would be possible. It would involve reverse engineering the upper legs and replacing them. Probably with a material that needs to be painted and pins or screws. It's just a lot of time and expense for one figure, especially leader class.

Part of why I moved on to customizing Deluxe FoC Magnus. At the smaller scales, you can focus more on large scale retools and play features. I have a design for a replacement assembly for the head and shoulders to support a Titan Master for around $12. Changeable with a screwdriver.

It might cost $30 to do the same job on a Leader class figure, with more pins to swap out.

I thought about customizing an Octone or Voyager TR Prime as Magnus (which could be convincing with little or no 3d printed parts) but, geez, all those pins!

With Deluxes and Legends, you're generally looking at more ball sockets and screws, less volume, and less need for hollowing parts to save money. If you want to spend more, you can get top end material that looks factory.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ldl0021

ldl0021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the Leg Panels, they look great

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  14. RodimusRex

What are those shoulder stacks from?!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

the smokestacks are from the perfect effect Core Magnus figure. PC-17. it's a whole deluxe class white prime that replaces the cab.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RodimusRex

I thought at first you’d replaced the white shoulder pieces from the arms.

I do recommend the 3rd party replacement hands if you can get them.

Oh! And I picked up a vintage G1 Magnus gun on eBay for around $5 shipped. My MP10VU holds it perfectly by the longer handle and I suspect CW Magnus would as well. Much cheaper to go actual G1 than Shapeways although I may work up some hand adapters for pegging 5mm peg weapons. Pretty sure at least one of the Shapeways guns is a literal 1:1 exact replica of the G1 gun anyway at twice the price.

17. Noma-Caa

Noma-Caa Well-Known Member

As someone who has both G1 and CW Ultra Magnus and wanted to use the G1 gun for CW Magnus, I can tell you he can’t really hold it. I don’t remember for certain if he can hold it at all, even, though I don’t think he can. However, the G1 missile launchers will plug into the shoulders and look great.

18. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

wasn't my picture, was just explaining what was going on. i already have every 3rd party upgrade known to exist for magnus outside of 3d printed stuff or custom items.

lol yeah those arms are AWESOME i have the whole kit, legs and feet and all attached to mine.

i just got core magnus myself but i haven't opened him yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RodimusRex

Well, when I get some time, I’d like to try making a few MP and leader class gun handles that attach to 5mm ports as I think that would be more cost effective and accurate — and allow customization moreso.

20. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Bump because I want to order some of these awesome parts.