Minor/Repaint: Combiner Wars Powerglide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DJsCustoms, Sep 22, 2017.

1. DJsCustoms

DJsCustoms Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wasn't a fan of Quickslinger being just a parts-mashup of other Aerialbots, and certainly wasn't cool with a helicopter keeping up with Jets. So I decided to do what I did with my CW Menasor Custom and turn the associated Legends figure into the fourth limb.

Started with a CW Airraid, gave it RotF Thundercracker's missile launchers. Altered the back end to give it proper tail fins and turbines on the backs of the legs. Resculpted the head with contour putty and built a new nosecone out of resin with a gunbarrel.

Fighter Jet:
    IMG_5724.png IMG_5723.png IMG_5725.png IMG_5726.png IMG_5727.png
    Robot Mode:
    IMG_5709.png IMG_5710.png IMG_5711.png IMG_5712.png
    IMG_5713.png IMG_5714.png IMG_5716.png IMG_5717.png

I DID make one small sacrifice on this and that's the shoulders being black&white instead of red. This is just because there was no way to get the paint I was using thin enough for it not to scrap from the transformation. But it's almost always unnoticeable and doesn't actually hurt when it is visible.
    IMG_5715.png

I'll be posting up pictures of the full team soon in it's own thread. Just wanted to show off Powerglide since some people might be interested in that by itself.

• Like Like x 7
  2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I really like this, good work! For me the robot mode is a total success, especially the way the wings are upright, great homage.

The jet mode to me is the lesser of the two, but l think it's only because the front fuselage doesn't evoke an A-10 to me.

Barring that l think its a great concept! Bravo!

3. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

This is the coolest thing I have seen in a long LONG time.

As a huge Powerglide fan (and customizer) you have an extremely unique and modern representation of the Red Bomber with a Heart of LED.

4. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    Thanks a lot.

I agree completely, but there wasn't much more I could reasonably do to fix the plane's body. I actually considered using a Vortex-mold for it, but it would have really messed with the arm's color scheme and been a bit too bulky for the fuselage.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Oh don't misunderstand my observation. I think jet mode looks really good,it's just the lesser of the two modes for me. I think even rounding the nosecone and maybe altering the cockpit canopy area would have been a big step in solidifying the Powerglide homage.

Granted l have no idea how labor intensive that would be.

6. DJsCustoms

Ebay:
    The nosecone was sanded out of a resin piece. Because of the resin I was using at the time, only my heavy-duty dremil could do the sanding, so it wasn't as precisely round as I would have liked. Normally I sand things by hand with just metal flat/round files, and those tend to turn out much better(which is how I did Powerglide's head out of Air Raid's). But the resin was a bit too soft for those.

Altering the canopy area would have been easy by itself. But keeping the tabs for the backpack would make it look awkward and more fragile, and removing intakes entirely would make the canopy flop around in every other mode.

Thanks for your feedback though. I really do appreciate it. I'm always hoping for someone to point out a flaw whenever I post a custom so I can actually get better at this.

• Like Like x 1