Combiner Wars Computron VS Unite Warriors Computron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by BigTFTrev, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BigTFTrev

BigTFTrev Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the last of the vehicle-themed Gestalt Groups based on the American G1 cartoon and toyline, many people have been hanging out to get their greedy little cyber-mitts on the Technobots. However unlike most of the other Gestalt Groups, there are a lot of distinct differences between the Unite Warriors and the Combiner Wars versions of the teams. Plus they have been released within a month of each other, rather than six months apart like most of the other toys. So here we go, a comparison of the two gift sets: Unite Warriors Computron VS Combiner Wars Computron!

Technobot Robot Modes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The style changes taken here are mostly cosmetic. The Combiner Wars figures tend to aim more towards the colour schemes used on the original G1 toys whereas the Unite Warriors palettes tend towards the G1 cartoon. There are significant differences in style between Strafe and Nosecone, with me leaning towards the UW versions being the stronger in both cases.

Technobot Vehicle Modes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst Scattershot and Afterburner/breaker are palette swaps of each other, there are significant differences between the others. Strafe, Lightspeed/steed and Nosecone are all retools of different molds and so all look quite different from each other. I think Lightspeed looks better than Lightsteed, the UW Nosecone looks magnificent in comparison to the CW version and I am that in love with both versions of Strafe I can't choose between the two.

Combiner Wars Computron vs Unite Warriors Computron
    [​IMG]

I don’t think any of the other gestalts from the two lines have differed so much. Mainly they have been copies of each other with slightly different colour schemes and maybe one of the characters has a different mold (Blast off and Groove) or an extra character(Blackjack and Powerglide). Here we see a UW Computron with a new chestplate, fairly uniform colour scheme and new head as well as a downward facing drill on his left knee. CW Computron has the much improved hands and feet which first arose with the Victorion gift set and can attach Scrounge and Cybaxx on his left shoulder. Both versions have advantages that the other does not have and, on top of the differences already mentioned, due to being able to position Afterburner/breakers motorcycle front differently as well as the differences between Strafe and Nosecone they look like different parallel-universe versions of each other rather than a simple palette swap. This is enhanced by the fact that UW Scattershot brings into the mix a new chestplate and head whereas CW Scattershot makes Computron look a bit too much like Superion when displayed together.

So which one to buy?

Well, overall, especially when it comes to the limb characters, Unite Warriors is a definite winner and if you were to only buy one this is the one I would choose. However the Combiner Wars version of this group is pretty good too and has extras like a poster, trading card and two extra characters (Scrounge & Cybaxx). Personally I will be mix & matching. I will be using Scattershot from UW with the limb characters and hands & feet from the CW version to make Computron whilst I will be using all the others to represent the individual bots. But a great effort by both Hasbro and Tak/Tom and whichever way you go you will not be disappointed by your purchase.

For a more detailed comparison between each individual Technobot and lots of pictures PLEASE SEE MY BLOG HERE

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mightion

Mightion There is ALWAYS room.

News Credits:
    My UW Computron arrived yesterday, and I have to say, he's every bit as great as everyone says, but that doesn't mean CW Computron was bad...
    [​IMG]

... it's just a combination of things. My own thoughts, in no particular order:

1. I switched around the HFGs on UW Computron to give each mold its "Correct" gun. One benefit of Afterburner having his correct HFG is he can hold the combo-gun perfectly straight.
    2. I don't think we'd have "needed" the UW-08 so much if CW Nosecone had kept the same colors, but used the UW Nosecone mold. I'm sorry, but the Brawl mold (specifically needing to remove and replace the drill) was not the ideal choice for Nosecone. Takara got it right.
    3. I would have gladly given up Scrounge and Cybaxx if it meant CW Strafe would have had his own guns.
    4. The Hasbro hands and feet didn't really look good to me on UW Computron - being a different color than anything on UW, they just looked out of place, specifically on UW Afterburner. It's be a different story if they were the same color as UW's HFGs.
    5. I need a good place to store UW Afterburner's weapons in Computron mode - right now, they're just hiding on his back - they don't look great on the thighs; they don't mount well on the Strafe hand, and I've run out of places to put them.
    6. I think even changing the CW Computron head for the UW would have been a great idea for Hasbro... CW Computron is a good toy, but with that head he looks like Superion dressed up as Computron for Halloween. (Stay down, you dead horse * thwack * )
    7. It's actually possible to combine all the weapons for UW Computron's gun; it just looks ridiculous (and it weighs too much for even the non-loose joints on UW Afterburner to hold upright).

I'm still glad to have all three, though. :) 

3. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have UW Computron with CW Afterbreaker as my ultimate version. The UW molds are the best Technobots I have ever seen: Strafe is amazing, Nosecone is a beast, the new parts on Scattershot really define the set, Lightspeed is a race car. Weapons, plenty for the big guy, no issues with where to put them here, keep finding new combinations. The head is simply awesome. I also added Perfect Effect PC-05 G1 Superion feet to complete him.

Hasbro is a fail except for Afterbreaker.
    1. What is up with that yellow flying saucer and space shuttle gun?
    2. Strafe is a bad retool of CW Air Raid and looks like something from Star Trek.
    3. Nosecone is Brawl with a tiny drill bit.
    4. Lightspeed still retains the flasher bar from Streetwise/Prowl, is he a fire chief car? Protectobot want to be?
    5. The torso uses a repainted Superion head.
    6. The pink gun really cracks me up, seriously that will win you points on the battlefield. Even Victorion doesn't have a pink weapon; well give it to the female 'Con combiner.

100_3283.JPG 100_3284.JPG

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks guys for the info on the computron cause i have the tak/tom version so i know now i made a good choice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigTFTrev

BigTFTrev Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The yellow flying saucer is Scrounge who was a very minor comic character many, many years ago who could turn into a wheel. He could stretch his fingers and die pretty much :p  I think he has turned up in the background of a few IDW comics. The space shuttle Targetmaster partner is Cybaxx who is, as far as I know, a new character.

Pretty much all the Hasbro versions of the classic G1 combiner groups have been rounded up to have 6 or 7 team members instead of 5 so I guess the inclusion of these two was to keep in line with that. Of course the Constructions already had 6 members so it wasn't necessary with them.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love 'em both. I tried putting the Hasbro hands and feet on the UW one and it just looks off - if only they were darker brown.

I'm keeping them both. <3

7. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I wish Takara's had the Hasbro colors on the head and on Nosecone. He'd be a pretty easy pick with those changes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    14559943_10154613132874776_547617206562045337_o.jpg
    I do mine like this, and to me, it's pretty damn aesthetically pleasing.

9. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

I finally received my Unite Warriors Computron set yesterday, and I am very impressed. Paint apps are perfect, some joints were very tight (Scattershot's nose piece, combiner head joint), transformations from vehicle to robot to combined modes are great. Computron looks much better with the Perfect Combiner PC-12 upgrade kit.

Tfsource has the set for $179.99, a $40 mark-up than what I and mostly everyone else paid for. Thank goodness for pre-ordering months in advance.

10. Jacob Knight

Jacob Knight Is a teenager arguing about toys

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Unite Warriors Set Is SoooooooOooO Much Better! I'm Glad They Used Different Molds For Strafe & Nosecone.

11. Funemployed

Funemployed Dinobot tutor

I went with the UW and am glad I did. Unique molds, great joints, combining weapon. Managed a tdw upgrade for him as well,and I got a mold reassignment (cosmos and payload) for Scrounge and Cybax replacements and use them attached to the forearms of afterburner as a shield.

20220411_200430.jpg 20220411_191004.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

I had the uw computron. It was a great set but it was given away to charity recently.

• Like Like x 2