Minor/Repaint: Combiner Wars Botcon 2016 Medix Done Cheap (parts swap and repaint)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DrOblivian, Jun 6, 2017.

1. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks great dude

2. Dropkick

Dropkick Pie fanatic

Google+:
    YouTube:
    He fits with the Protectobots so well.

3. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

that's the kind of reaction i like to hear! Especially for my first proper outing into the customizing world.

I think anything anyone could have did would have been better than that color scheme.

thank you!

I can hardly trust my own opinions half the time so to hear someone else saying exactly the thing i was aiming for confirms i did right by what i was aiming for from the start so thanks for that!

Something i just realized about the protectobots. If we get ONE MORE MEMBER along Skyfeather Heatrock Rook and Medix we would have enough "reserve members" to create an entirely second Protectobot/Defensor combiner on their own. So it begs the question, if there were another protectobot added in the future, the the 5 of them were to combine on their own, would it still be Defensor?

4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends, is the auxiliary 5th a torso or limb?

5. DrOblivian

eh. would it matter? 5 protectobots, just pick one to be the torso if they add a new member.
    also i forgot heatrock and skyfeather actually make a torso themselves so either we would need two more limb bots, or just a 5th bot and then decide who becomes the torso.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Round of applause for you, sir. You deserve it.

7. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'd consider them still Defensor...if the majority are Protectobots then what else would they be...

8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well considering most of the time these days a combiners identity is tied to the torso (there are exceptions) so a new torso equals not defensor while hot spot and four protectobot limbs equals defensor

• Like Like x 1
  9. DrOblivian

yeah that's usually true. I usually consider the combiner's identity by their collective mind. So while a single bots being swapped out wouldn't effect the gestalt personality too severely, an entire team swap wouldn't necessarily result in the same combiner. Like Hotspot with all Stunticon limbs for example. There is no way the resulting Combiner would act anything like Defensor. It would probably act A LOT more like Menasor. (this all depends on how much of the overall personality the torso bot actually provides, and i've always seen it as an even share)

• Like Like x 1
  10. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    *squees insanely, then faints*
    *wakes up*
    this is where my head-canon pops in...i believe that when scramble-citying (i forgot the correct term) different teams, the component's original entity (in this case, defensor) will show obvious signs in the next entity (gaia guardian), but if the torso's entity was pre existant (going superion) then only very minor hints would be given, depending on % of team members used
    i might of ruined combiners with math...sorry...

also..
    Category:Protectobots - Transformers Wiki

nova magnus, prowl, red alert, heatrock, skyfeather, stakeout, and generics scouts, snipers and warriors were members across the multiverse!
    *like tfs nappa*
    have fun with that....

• Like Like x 1
  11. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    [QUOTE="DrOblivian, post: 14806131,

Something i just realized about the protectobots. If we get ONE MORE MEMBER along Skyfeather Heatrock Rook and Medix we would have enough "reserve members" to create an entirely second Protectobot/Defensor combiner on their own. So it begs the question, if there were another protectobot added in the future, the the 5 of them were to combine on their own, would it still be Defensor?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking
    Gaia Guardian

• Like Like x 2
  12. DrOblivian

All those other "Protectobots" are either entirely different kinds of Protectobots (the Protectobots from animated lead by Nova Magnus, aka animated Nova Prime, for example where an ENTIRE pre Autobot/Decepticon faction, not just a small special team) from different universes, or reused characters/names (as i don't like shoehorning characters who were not originally part of any given team, into said team.) None of which have any real influence on the actual original G1 team itself of which Heatrock, Skyfeather, Rook, and Medix were properly inducted into.

On the actual G1 Protectobot on the wiki page it only mentions these 9 characters.
    Protectobot (G1) - Transformers Wiki

God Guardian and Gaia Guardian kinda reinforce my point. Adding Heatrock and Skyfeather to Defensor actually change the identity of the combiner, and obviously replacing Hotspot entirely with Heatrock and Skyfeather do the same.

in God Guardian's case, i don't actually consider skyfeather PART of the combiner, he's just becomes a handheld shield, so hes probably not connected to the gestalt mind. whereas heatrock attaches directly to Hotspot. If you think of it this way, adding only ONE member, Heatrock, changed the combiner identity entirely even though all 5 original members are present.

in Gaia Guardian's case. They both replace Hotspot entirely, creating an an entirely new combiner identity, however because of the other original protectobots, Gaia Guardian still has Defensor's head. meaning there is still influence from the original protectobots.

if you were to add Rook and Medix to the Heatrock/Skyfeather Gaia Guardian torso. (either with or without two MORE members to fill in the other limb slots) you would end up even further from the "Defensor identity"

perhaps it has more to do with the personality types themselves rather than the actual individuals? For example. Adding Blackjack and Offroad ( in favor of Wildrider) to Menasor, still results in Menasor even though the roster change is still just as significant as the Gaia and God Guardian roster changes.

I think the moral here is just that Combiners are weird.

• Like Like x 3
  13. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    affirmative!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

I love the idea of a combiner made from the b grade protectobots medix, rook, heatrock, skyfeather and someone else. Maybe artfire?

• Like Like x 1
  15. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Well we are getting an Inferno retool in PotP. Might be worth it ;) 

16. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Yeah but I like him to go with prowl, ratchet, Evac and override. While medix and friends are the poor man’s protectobots they’re poor man’s poor man’s protectobots

17. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Love what you did with the figure, the green came out pretty bright. Ever find a head?

18. DrOblivian

not one that i like. ill update this whenever i actually manage a head of some kind or another.

19. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Have you thought about generation Drifts head? Would need moding but I see similarities. I think a painted Off-Road head would look good too. I was going to use it for my eventual Rachet.

Great custom.

20. DrOblivian

Yeah i thought about Offroads head but decided that i didn't just want a repaint head. As for the Drift head, i see it, by my goal with this project was to do as LITTLE customizing as possible. Wanted this to be something someone else could easily replicate. Just a simple parts swap repaint.

Also at some point i think i'm gonna try and redo the whole thing from the ground up with a new Firstaid. try my hand doing it with spray paint or an airbrush to see if i can't make the paint work even cleaner. But that's gonna be a while off unless i can find a Firstaid for cheap. jesus he shot up in price, lol it might be cheaper to get a friggin UW Firstaid!