Minor/Repaint: Combiner Wars Botcon 2016 Medix Done Cheap (parts swap and repaint)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DrOblivian, Jun 6, 2017.

1. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

PHOTO DUMP UPDATE!!! page 4 for more. Medix is complete save for a head, of which i don't exactly know when i'll get around to it. but it will happen eventually. Obviously i'll update when i do it.

vehicle medix.jpg
    bot medix.jpg

Original Post
    I am an absolute friggin sucker for Combiners and combiner wars drained my wallet dry and it STILL keeps taking my money one way or another somehow.

Combiner wars also added new characters to the roster of a few of the teams, Offroad, Rook, and Alpha Bravo chief among them.

The custom class character for Botcon 2016 was Ratchet or Medix (the toy i will be attempting to replicate), a character that got brought over from the rescue bots toyline for Botcon and was retroactively made an official G1 Protectobot.
    G1 Medix.jpg Rescuebots Medix.jpg medix.jpg

That and everybody made Ratchet anyway instead of Medix... talk about boring and uncreative.

However the Botcon custom class figures always ends up skyrocketing in price on the aftermarkets so i decided to make my own on the cheap for like $30 instead of (checks ebay for the custom figure prices...) holy fuck $300+ ?! Thats some grade A bullshit right there.

Anyway it turns out that CW Ironhide shares the same color crotch, thighs, and bicep parts as the custom class figure, and i also have a spare CW First Aid!

Step one Complete, disassemble First Aid
    20170606_173531.jpg
    The shoulder pins where a bitch and a half.

Step Two will be to wash the parts and strip the paint from all the white bits.
    Update: Complete!
    paint strip.jpg

Once Ironhide arrives in the mail i'll disassemble him too and then put medix back together and he'll be ready for painting.
    Update: PARTS SWAP!
    parts swap.jpg

Step Three! Painting! it has begun!
    painting.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 25
  2. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    WOOHOO!!!!

3. DrOblivian

jeez you seem more excited than i am, and i'm the one doing the project! lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. marvel b

News Credits:
    yeah i am! i was FURIOUS about the horrid lack of medix! i remember being in a HUGE protectobot phase! plus when takara showed lynxmaster with ratchet...ugh!!!

5. DrOblivian

hahahahaha excellent. Well there are a few things i'm going to be doing differently from the botcon one shown above that you might like then. Considering i own the UW Defensor i'm going to try and make the paint job more accurate to the rescue bots toy, because i'm a stickler for accuracy whenever something is based off of something else. mostly in the form of lost more visible green.

The other thing i'm going to do is use a different head. but that comes last as i have no idea which head im gona use... i could simply cheap out and just paint the first aid head differently, but then he's just a First Aid clone... the Off Road head sculpt is actually pretty friggin close to the rescue bots Medix on its own. Or i could ask a shapeways guy to model me a head. lots of head options and i'm unsure what to do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Farstryder

Farstryder Well-Known Member

What is your preferred method to remove the paint?

7. DrOblivian

i'm gonna let the pieces soak in some Isopropyl Alcohol 91% for a few hours, doesn't damage the plastic and the paint will wipe right off. However i've learned that this particular method only really works on factory applied stock paint apps on TFs.

tomorrow im headed off the the stores to actually get the stuff i need to do this custom. step one was taking apart first aid, which being able to do so was the make or break of this entire idea. if i couldn't parts swap with ironhide i wasn't even gonna bother.

the shoulder pins were the worst, i had to actually cut away a chunk of plastic so i could make an exit hole for the pin so i could push it out as the shoulder pin hole doesn't go all the way through.

the whole video is worth the watch, but if you wanna see it in action skip to 1:40

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Farstryder

Farstryder Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm anxious to see how this goes. I've been setting on extra figures myself, hoping to get up the courage to try this.

9. DrOblivian

Well ur in luck then because this is the first time i've ever attempted a "proper" custom painted anything. So one novice to another, if i can do it, then ur probably in safe territory.

That being said obviously i'm not doing a complete bull blown repaint here... its mostly just a parts swap and then adding a few minor paint apps.

• Like Like x 2
  10. marvel b

News Credits:
    WHOA! where can i find that?

11. DrOblivian

I got mine at Target but you could probably find it at like Walmart, Shoprite, RiteAid, CVS... its usually found with the medical stuff, it's "technically" for cleaning cuts and wounds i guess. it was also crazy cheap. I got a 32 oz bottle for less than $3

I've actually got all the white parts from First Aid soaking right now and i'm gonna check em in a few hours. but going by the video, it looks like the paint wont dilute it so im just gona pour what i've used right back into the bottle. Well, attempt to anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DrOblivian

So i MAY have run into a bit of an issue. RED paint, turns out unsurprisingly in highsight, is REALLY hard to get off of WHITE plastic. i'm going to continue to let the parts soak overnight to see if that helps any. but i may end up having to do a bit of sanding now as well if the rest of the paint and the what looks to be the plastic becoming stained pink.

i may have also just not let the parts soak long enough to begin with. so tomorrow it may come off like a dream. we'll have to wait and see. if all else fails i may end up just giving up on stripping the paint and just to a white primer coat instead.

• Like Like x 4
  13. DrOblivian

Also both Autobot badges (chest and hood) on the figure have been completely unaffected by the alcohol and i have no idea why. Is it because they are a tampo instead of paint?

Edit: after sitting all night in the alcohol bath they came right off.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DrOblivian

20170608_161000.jpg

GOOD ENOUGH!

there are still some places i'm going to try and remove more paint with a magic eraser. (like the left knee pad, that damn blue wouldn't come off for some reason) but what's left is all in areas i'm going to paint over anyway for the most part. what i want white, is currently white, and that's good enough for me.

• Like Like x 9
  15. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    really looking forward to seeing how this turns out

16. Tankhunter48

Tankhunter48 Trailcreeper

If only there was a way to keep the silver on the grill and tail lights. That would look marvelous!

17. DrOblivian

well turns out this whole thing might be put on hold for a little while. I can't find any paint!!!

Im specifically looking for Model Masters Acrylic Paints but not a goddamn single store in my area friggin carries it! And i dont wana buy it online for three reasons,
    the price is always jacked the hell up online, (by like double or more, i'm not paying 7 dollars for a $2.50 little jar of paint)
    I can't really get a good read on the colors i need if/when i CAN find it.
    and when i DO manage to find it online at a decent price its a bundle with every color known to man for hundreds of dollars.

I cant afford to be dropping money on things i don't need or ending up with something i didn't want.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hope you can find the paints

19. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Yes, indeed ...!!!...

20. DrOblivian

there are few few other places i'm gonna try this week to see if they carry it, if not im gona have to find an alternative. Suggestions would be great! (or even a link to an online store that sells model masters at normal price and i can tell what colors im getting)

regardless though there will be a few more updates even if painting will be put off. I have a few of the parts soaking again just to see if i can't get a little more paint off, and i also am still waiting on Ironhide to show up so i can do the parts swap. so ill at least show a pick of the "complete" figure.

Actually i just now thought of this. i'm gonna end up with an entirely red CW truck mold now too after the parts swap.... anyone got any idea what i should use that for?