Combiner Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Dec 12, 2014.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    F@#& you, James Roberts, you hack.
    I'm done with IDW. Over. Finished. :mad: :banghead: :throw :stick: :Gouki: :cry :rip 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
  3. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 All Around Nice Guy who doesnt like soccer

Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 You know what it is, I'm just Street tuff

2017-12-29-00-20-46.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  5. Latooni

Latooni Enduring Cabin Fever

So I'm in the mood to talk about Liokaiser. I nabbed him as sort of a Christmas gift to myself earlier in December, given that he wasn't going to be getting much cheaper, I figured it was time. A lot of people(myself included) are still expecting a Unite Warriors take on this legendary gestalt from the Japan-only Transformers Victory series, which, on top of Hasbro's offering being more of the same old thing was kinda why I waited as long as I did.

I was very excited when I first got him, though that may have been because I've been going through a sort of combiner withdrawal. The "I GOT A NEW TOY" excitement has dwindled, and while I still like him, he feels more interesting as a display piece than something for me to actively fiddle with. In fact, at this point, Deathsaurus, Drillhorn, and the slew of extra weapons(Ion Scythe as well) are the biggest things I wanted out of this set.
    Latoonis_most_wanted.jpg
    So I'mma talk about what are/would've been my favourite components of this set!

Deathsaurus

The torso used here is legitimately one reason I wanted to pick this set up. Sky Lynx was a wacky, fun robot, and Deathsaurus over 'ere serving as a replacement body both works really well and looks great in my opinion. His colours really pop, and I think the leader of the Breastforce makes sense as the core robot. I'd be totally fine with Jallguar and Leozack as deluxe limbs to swap around in lieu of a new torso made of those two.(Although some form of media explaining how Deathsaurus became, essentially, stuck in his bird/monster mode with combining powers would've been neat. A real missed opportunity.)

Of course, I generally don't care a lot about G1 accuracy. The CW/UW designs are ones I tend to favour over the originals... Mostly.

Speaking of G1 accuracy, I doubt Takara's gonna use Deathsaurus as a torso for their presumed eventual take on Liokaiser, which is another reason I wanted to snag this while I could. Even if he's not part of "Liokaiser" so to speak, I could always use him as an extra torso. Kinda like Cyclonus, but without feeling as uninteresting or 'pointless' as Betatron!Scattershot. With PoTP rolling in, I'm sure to find some extra limbs to slap on him.
    Limb_thief.jpg

Drillhorn

So this lad was the other biggest reason I wanted to nab at least some of the components to this set. People assume Takara's take on the rhino-themed member of the Breast Force will use UW Nosecone's tooling. I myself kinda like the symmetry that two tank legs offer, so to satisfy whatever level of OCD I suspect I have, I like having the option. Two tanks also bestows the ability to make the gestalt slightly taller, to tower over those wretched, puny Autobots. Tremble before his might!!! Tr-tremble!!! C'mon. Do it. Please? :c
    Drill_horn.jpg
    Okay, so... He's a drill tank. He's blue. That's already two good things for him in my book. He even has his own face sculpt, which is lovely! He and "Ironbison"are so far the only two uses of Brawl's mold that have a face that isn't just the crabby Combaticon's. So what's the catch, you may ask?
    (EDIT: Forgot Ram Horn!)
    Drill_schmorn.jpg
    Well, unfortunately for me, he's the worst figure in the set, QC-wise. He's a floppy mess, nothing wants to tab together, he has that "light", weak plastic feel. Anyone remember Brawl's waist issue from the original use of the figure? I think I've had the reverse of that problem. Every tank I've bought after the first has had a successively worse wait joint. CW Brawl was perfect. UW Brawl was great. CW Nosecone was good, then became sorta floppy. G2 Brawl was mildly floppy. Drillhorn's simply won't connect at all for robot OR arm mode. (though, my Killbison had a pretty strong waist. Probably on par with my Unite Warriors Brawl.)

The weapons

I love all the weapons this set comes with. It may just be two extra Air Raid/Skydive guns, but I find I end up mixing and matching them a lot. Strangely enough, this is something I kinda loved about Combiner Wars - No "character specific" weapons for the most part. It made mixing and matching them a lot less... Limiting? Like, all harriers had flamethrowers, it wasn't just Fireflight's weapon. Prowl didn't have his G1 gun, he had the Triple barrel shotgun that came from the police car tooling. Felt less weird to mix 'em up, like giving Wildrider a copy of Swindle's gun - He wasn't necessarily wielding Swindle's weapon, but rather a type of weapon that the yellow fellow comes equipped with.
    Wham_blam_kabam_maam.jpg

I don't really have a lot to about the three other limbs. Guyhawk is the only member without flip-out animal-themed helmet add-ons, but he's also the only use of the Air Raid/Skydive mold with neck articulation allowing him to look up. Hellbat's alright, but nothing special(though he did make the most unsettling creaks and had one soft-plastic tailfin bent straight out of the box). I like Killbison a lot by virtue of being bovid-themed(cows are my favourite animals), and he seems to be a more solid tank than Drillhorn, though as an arm, his bull horns get in the way more.(Which in turn kind of messes with the scramble interchangeability, limiting the set a teensy bit...)

This set also has a Hell of a lot of paint, so I figure that, the extra guns and the unique head sculpts(which became a rarity halfway through Combiner Wars) is what makes it a "Premium" set. It's also the only affordable option for an official update to Liokaiser, so there's that I suppose.(If you're more into the gestalt than the individuals themselves, that makes it easier to swallow).

So would I recommend him? I'unno, man. I just like talking about toy robots on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a Victorion from Amazon for $65...looking into 3P upgrades for it...does anybody have any recommendations? I see the C+ kit that requires some pretty extensive parts replacement on the core unit (and makes for, IMO, one ugly ass vehicle mode)...and it looks great combined. But I feel like I could be happy with some Perfect Effect feet/hands, too.

Photos are always a plus!

7. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
  8. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  9. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Two lines away from CW and Magnus still looks fucking great to me!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  10. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 You know what it is, I'm just Street tuff

Absolutely chief

• Like Like x 3
  11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Decided to bite the bullet and buy Liokaiser. I mean, at the price he's going for he should be more than worth it for how many figures I'm getting even though I have no attachment to this combiner or his components (getting a mismatched set of Superiorn and Menasor components from BBTS was the comparison option, and I'm like, meh to that).

And, if worse comes to worst, I can give all the limbs to Starscream with no regrets.

(that, and I stealth bought Slugslinger on top of that because I realized I was never going to get him on retail, but that's off topic)

12. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kicking 'Con afts all over the place. :music :rock :rock :buttrock :buttrock 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. ReximusPrimal07

ReximusPrimal07 Well-Known Member

@Type-R what head did you use for tankors robot mode? Looks great wanna try it

14. pilotmaster70

pilotmaster70 Space Nerd

[​IMG]
    Heh heh heh...
    PE Feet are too good. This is AWESOME!!
    :dj 

• Like Like x 8
  15. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  16. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 A-k-k-k-k-yeah baby! Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 28
  18. thiengo

thiengo Well-Known Member

I.give to my SkyReign , the Ko black version... With some gold paint jib in hands...

P_20171211_215302.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Soleron

Ebay:
    i just nabbed him of entertainment earth as well for $64...as with you i didn't feel i was gonna find him for much cheaper but unlike you i was getting this set for limbs and minicon more than deathsaurus. i don't feel the mold fits him and i still don't. however as of now i'm planning on using the limbs for potp starscream when he arrives next week.

i like the jets in fact they were a main selling point to me especially hellbat and i had a similar issue with drillhorn as you did. but all in all i like the set...even more liked the price i paid. i also never had this micron mold so that was cool to fiddle with.

i feel takara waited till now and he'll show up in UW possibly with starscream as leozack and beachcomber as jallguar (or a new legends class that becomes a weapon...pipe dream i'm sure but still) so i don't mind double dipping for a better torso if or when takara releases him.

i love the head sculpts though. i'd recommend him for the price i paid but not for what BBTS is asking for him or ebay prices. and if you're not sold on the torso the limbs are still good and for EEs price i'm willing to have a spare torso hanging about.

20. MengHao

MengHao Well-Known Member