Combiner Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Dec 12, 2014.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    King Starscream with Combaticon limbs.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Save any images you want to keep and switch to a different image hosting site. I have no camera - and thus no reason to use a hosting site - but I hear Imgur isn't bad. It might be a pain, but I doubt Photobucket is gonna turn back anytime soon.

As for Liokaiser, I remember someone starting a really ambitious 3D printed upgrade kit that involved turning an Air Raid and a Swindle into a Leozack and Jallguar that combine into a torso, but I don't recall seeing anything coming of it. Aside from that, there's some gun/drill upgrades for Killbison and Drillhorn and some nunchaku for Liokaiser on Shapeways, if you're willing.

3. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMG_20170723_135208.jpg
    The DNA kit with a few touch ups - Devastating perfection :) 

Want to see more Devy? Hit the link:
    Minor/Repaint: - Devastator with added details

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  5. DestinedAnarky

DestinedAnarky #bringbackthetechnobots

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Looks fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Could someone with Starscream and Fruiticus show how he'd look with the G2 Combaticons.

If possible please. Many thanks.

7. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I've been weighing a lot whether to take advantage of the heavy discounts Liokaiser is having lately, but the thing that's stopping me is I don't love the Brawl mode enough to believe that having two of him on the same combiner is a great idea.

8. rayce

rayce Active Member

My gift to my brother
    menasor.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  9. Robots78

Robots78 Ow, my foot!

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    DSC_0032-2000.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  10. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

So post Christmas, we have a WAY better representation of the classic Combiners
    G1 Bruticus from the CW Wave
    G2 Superion or with G1 Silverbolt ( Which can look AWESOME depending on how you set him up)
    G2 Menasor or with G1 Motor master
    Defensor with Prowl, Streetwise, Deluxe groove and either iron Hide ( as a fire truck) or Trailbreaker ( Black Police truck)
    Optimus Maximus/ Magnus With Various Carbots but usually Mirage, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Smokescreen
    Then
    Sky Reign with Jazz, Swoop, Slug, whichever car/ truck bot is left over from above but usually Traiobreaker.

Galvatronus has to steal limbs.. except Dreadwind who so far is dedicated to him, Tonight I plan to try DW, Deadend, Vortex and Blast off. One Blackwing and Rippersnapper are released they will be his until Hungrr comes home THEN Galvatronus will be back to just the Dreadwing brothers but I kinda like Glavatronus as a special occasion only combiner

But that uses up all of my current limbs and leaves only Galvatronus, Dreadwind and which ever Silverbolt and Motor master aren't being used loose.

Overall I feel like it was a well planned, best cost and most fun/ efficient way to get all the main combiners, a version of most Limb bots without spending to much or getting to many duplicates. I would like offroad, Rook, Alpha Bravo, Blades, First aid, Hound and possibly one G1 Aerial bot just so I have some alternates. But I like where the collection is, adding those guys to the TR/ CW roster we have been piutting together makes for a GREAT looking set up representing the early years of G1 in toy form. I think the Only Major 'con that has been released ( a chugy Shockwave and reflector really havnt been done yet) that I am missing I think is Glavatron, so in my universe he is still a ghost who posseses Cyclonus to make Glavatronus so the character is represented..

11. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Got the PE PC-18 God Ginrai upgrade today... God Ginrai wasn't the only one happy about it :ev: 

100_3408_2.jpg
    100_3412_4.jpg

From the matching gold paint on the hilt, to the way the long handle fits perfectly on the PE hands, and how easily two handed sword poses can be done with combiners... I'm confident this is the intended true owner :thumb 

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
  12. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Here's mine. Mix match of all kits. I want to paint the shoulder treads and MAYBE sticker him up.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  13. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  14. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    F@#& you, James Roberts, you hack.
    I'm done with IDW. Over. Finished. :mad: :banghead: :throw :stick: :Gouki: :cry :rip 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  15. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  16. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Like a coat from Matalan

2017-12-29-00-20-46.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  18. Latooni

Latooni "HIDOI YO!!!"

So I'm in the mood to talk about Liokaiser. I nabbed him as sort of a Christmas gift to myself earlier in December, given that he wasn't going to be getting much cheaper, I figured it was time. A lot of people(myself included) are still expecting a Unite Warriors take on this legendary gestalt from the Japan-only Transformers Victory series, which, on top of Hasbro's offering being more of the same old thing was kinda why I waited as long as I did.

I was very excited when I first got him, though that may have been because I've been going through a sort of combiner withdrawal. The "I GOT A NEW TOY" excitement has dwindled, and while I still like him, he feels more interesting as a display piece than something for me to actively fiddle with. In fact, at this point, Deathsaurus, Drillhorn, and the slew of extra weapons(Ion Scythe as well) are the biggest things I wanted out of this set.
    Latoonis_most_wanted.jpg
    So I'mma talk about what are/would've been my favourite components of this set!

Deathsaurus

The torso used here is legitimately one reason I wanted to pick this set up. Sky Lynx was a wacky, fun robot, and Deathsaurus over 'ere serving as a replacement body both works really well and looks great in my opinion. His colours really pop, and I think the leader of the Breastforce makes sense as the core robot. I'd be totally fine with Jallguar and Leozack as deluxe limbs to swap around in lieu of a new torso made of those two.(Although some form of media explaining how Deathsaurus became, essentially, stuck in his bird/monster mode with combining powers would've been neat. A real missed opportunity.)

Of course, I generally don't care a lot about G1 accuracy. The CW/UW designs are ones I tend to favour over the originals... Mostly.

Speaking of G1 accuracy, I doubt Takara's gonna use Deathsaurus as a torso for their presumed eventual take on Liokaiser, which is another reason I wanted to snag this while I could. Even if he's not part of "Liokaiser" so to speak, I could always use him as an extra torso. Kinda like Cyclonus, but without feeling as uninteresting or 'pointless' as Betatron!Scattershot. With PoTP rolling in, I'm sure to find some extra limbs to slap on him.
    Limb_thief.jpg

Drillhorn

So this lad was the other biggest reason I wanted to nab at least some of the components to this set. People assume Takara's take on the rhino-themed member of the Breast Force will use UW Nosecone's tooling. I myself kinda like the symmetry that two tank legs offer, so to satisfy whatever level of OCD I suspect I have, I like having the option. Two tanks also bestows the ability to make the gestalt slightly taller, to tower over those wretched, puny Autobots. Tremble before his might!!! Tr-tremble!!! C'mon. Do it. Please? :c
    Drill_horn.jpg
    Okay, so... He's a drill tank. He's blue. That's already two good things for him in my book. He even has his own face sculpt, which is lovely! He and "Ironbison"are so far the only two uses of Brawl's mold that have a face that isn't just the crabby Combaticon's. So what's the catch, you may ask?
    (EDIT: Forgot Ram Horn!)
    Drill_schmorn.jpg
    Well, unfortunately for me, he's the worst figure in the set, QC-wise. He's a floppy mess, nothing wants to tab together, he has that "light", weak plastic feel. Anyone remember Brawl's waist issue from the original use of the figure? I think I've had the reverse of that problem. Every tank I've bought after the first has had a successively worse wait joint. CW Brawl was perfect. UW Brawl was great. CW Nosecone was good, then became sorta floppy. G2 Brawl was mildly floppy. Drillhorn's simply won't connect at all for robot OR arm mode. (though, my Killbison had a pretty strong waist. Probably on par with my Unite Warriors Brawl.)

The weapons

I love all the weapons this set comes with. It may just be two extra Air Raid/Skydive guns, but I find I end up mixing and matching them a lot. Strangely enough, this is something I kinda loved about Combiner Wars - No "character specific" weapons for the most part. It made mixing and matching them a lot less... Limiting? Like, all harriers had flamethrowers, it wasn't just Fireflight's weapon. Prowl didn't have his G1 gun, he had the Triple barrel shotgun that came from the police car tooling. Felt less weird to mix 'em up, like giving Wildrider a copy of Swindle's gun - He wasn't necessarily wielding Swindle's weapon, but rather a type of weapon that the yellow fellow comes equipped with.
    Wham_blam_kabam_maam.jpg

I don't really have a lot to about the three other limbs. Guyhawk is the only member without flip-out animal-themed helmet add-ons, but he's also the only use of the Air Raid/Skydive mold with neck articulation allowing him to look up. Hellbat's alright, but nothing special(though he did make the most unsettling creaks and had one soft-plastic tailfin bent straight out of the box). I like Killbison a lot by virtue of being bovid-themed(cows are my favourite animals), and he seems to be a more solid tank than Drillhorn, though as an arm, his bull horns get in the way more.(Which in turn kind of messes with the scramble interchangeability, limiting the set a teensy bit...)

This set also has a Hell of a lot of paint, so I figure that, the extra guns and the unique head sculpts(which became a rarity halfway through Combiner Wars) is what makes it a "Premium" set. It's also the only affordable option for an official update to Liokaiser, so there's that I suppose.(If you're more into the gestalt than the individuals themselves, that makes it easier to swallow).

So would I recommend him? I'unno, man. I just like talking about toy robots on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  19. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a Victorion from Amazon for $65...looking into 3P upgrades for it...does anybody have any recommendations? I see the C+ kit that requires some pretty extensive parts replacement on the core unit (and makes for, IMO, one ugly ass vehicle mode)...and it looks great combined. But I feel like I could be happy with some Perfect Effect feet/hands, too.

Photos are always a plus!

20. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits: