Combiner Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Dec 12, 2014.

1. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I like Hasbro Computron very much, but it pretty much requires PC-11 and -12 to look different enough from Superion, provide enough guns for everybody, and have good, stable posing. The stock Hasbro feet are a step (hehe! :D ) in the right direction, but they aren't ball joints so that limits posing options a bit. With the Perfect Effect kits, I think it's equal or a bit better than the stock TakTomy version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The limited ball joints in the PE feet let you put Computron in a nice, stable combat stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    looks a bit derpy, but you gotta try differnet combos, that how i ended up giving my CW bruticus a whole lower half of arm of guns, or Gun-arm for short.

3. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Well! Finally some Combaticon pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BRUTICUS! (and Defensor, and Skullcruncher photobombing like a boss) More to come in a bit; I don't know if I feel comfortable spamming another ten images here in this one post. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  4. DBarricade

Well here, have a (hopefully) good look at a couple.

[​IMG]

Vortex is... well, Alpha Bravo with a new rotor piece. The rotor blades themselves are unchanged. But why is the military helicopter the only one to paint the side windows? Heck, even the Hasbro Vortex opts out of painting them in favor of the same stripe down the side Alpha Bravo has.

[​IMG]

The rotor blades can fold up a bit tighter back there, but it doesn't feel that comfortable to do. Vortex's head is entirely painted to get that dark grey color, and the combiner peg is molded in two different colors to bring some color to his belly. I think I like this over Hasbro's more vivid colors, though it may be because I never cared for the yellow missiles in pictures as I never saw these guys in the store.

[​IMG]

Onslaught has such a beautiful metallic blue. He's also got a lot of differences from his mold-mate Hot Spot. Making the back the front was clever, though I still wish something could have covered the back. Oh well. The light bars at least are easier to ignore when they're not painted.

[​IMG]

He also wears this mold better than Hot Spot, IMO. His head is entirely painted metallic blue to blend in, and he's got some paint on the inside of his forearms and those spring things as well as gunmetal fists. He's got flip out heels, which I think Pyra Magna also has, but his hips carry the same problems as Hot Spot.

I'll get to the other guys in a bit. :p 

• Like Like x 3
  5. Eurobeatking

Eurobeatking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gorgeous, I too finally can display my UW Bruticus as I got my replacement UW Onslaught,hopefully no exploding hips on this one due to bad qc*knock on wood*. Super happy with the set and the paint on these guys is still gorgeous and BlastOff is still a blast.

6. DBarricade

Bear with me while I get the rest of these up.

[​IMG]

Swindle! I can hardly tell that he and Rook share the same base mold, so much has changed. And as I love Rook, that's only a good thing for Swindle! The colors are a bit duller than his Hasbro counterpart, but the silver is more carefully laid on the front of the roll cage than the black on the Hasbro. Also, purple front.

[​IMG]

The similarities are slightly more apparent here between him and Rook. I like the silver face, but I'd loved a smile... then again that wouldn't work with Rollbar. The UW version is able to plug the gun into the backpack for a shoulder cannon as Hound was able to. (funny how the two end up using the same mold both here and way back in Alternators IIRC) A bit bulky for Swindle? More room to carry goods, man!

[​IMG]

Brawl... well, his colors in this mode are mostly subtly different than his Hasbro counterpart. Damn shame the turret can't rotate, but I find him charming for a bundle of rage.

[​IMG]

This one does use the running change variant of the mold. Abdomen? Still non-existent, and the subject of envy for supermodels everywhere but now can actually lock in place. The tab in the back is still just to stop the waist from being rotated back further rather than a solid locking point, but hey! Ab crunch, sort of! I'm not sure what it is, but I can't help but adore Brawl despite his obvious flaws.

[​IMG]

Blast Off as a shuttle like he's supposed to be because GEEWUN! Even though a fighter jet makes more sense on a team of military vehicles! I can't say for sure, but was Blast Off that bright of a brown in the cartoon? Wasn't he closer to his toy's brown, which was the inspiration for Hasbro's Slinghsot repaint as the character? Hand/foot gun is sort of new, but I'm sure no one cares because they've all tossed theirs in favor of the PE hands and feet, or that TDW upgrade kit which I'll get to later.

[​IMG]

He's pretty... chesty in robot mode, but I don't mind. He can HULK HANDS just like Rook even though he's entirely new. You can also pull off the tail pieces and stick them on his back if you want. I think the hand/foot gun is supposed to also be a rocket pod/battery thing? I don't know, but he can undersling it via a couple ports under each arm. He doesn't make getting the set worthwhile by himself, however.

@Beastwarsfan95, I hope you're happy with all of these. Hell, I may give some of the guys I didn't show here some love at some point soon.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    I am very happy, thank you! :D 

8. DBarricade

Good, then I'll get to posting my thoughts and such on the TDW kit... eventually. Might see if there's been a written review of it yet and throw my two... well, Canada no longer uses pennies, so I guess I'll just throw my nickel into the matter. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    20170509_193848.jpg

Cyclonus w/ Renderform Tailclonus combiner head, merged with Lunaclub, Flowspade, Trickdiamond and Moonheart.

No idea what to call this thing. But it sure does look pretty.

• Like Like x 3
  10. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

Please do. I've had this set for nearing a year and I don't think I've ever put so much thought into them. Well done!

11. mAk

mAk Well-Known Member

So I finally got some Perfect Effect feet and hands for these combiners and I love them! They make a world of difference! Does anyone here have the PC-04 add-on kit for Menasor? Thoughts about it? I'm thinking about ordering one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. DBarricade

And here I thought all the PE hands and feet sets were identical other than for color? Or are those a different set for Bruticus?

13. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thus far, there have been four different molds for the feet and two for the hands made by Perfect Effect.

- Superion/Menasor/Defensor (v1 Hands + v1 Feet)
    - Optimus/Battle Core Prime (v2 Hands + v2 Feet)
    - Bruticus/Computron (v2 Hands + v3 Feet)
    - G2 Superion/Menasor (v2 Hands + v4 Feet)

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  14. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

UW Baldigus is such a beautiful set, hits me right in the RID nostalgia. Threw in Lazer Prime as a stand-in for Scourge as well.

[​IMG]

Also, while I was reorganizing my shelves, I wanted to see if I could get every CW figure (plus a few other TFs) I owned on one shelf. Barring Devastator for obvious reasons. Apart from G2 Superion and Betatron being shoved in the corners, it doesn't look half bad. Combiner wars certainly was a ride collecting-wise.

• Like Like x 10
  15. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Seeing that KO CW Megatron makes me wish there as a better downsize of the original. The size fits so much better but it's way too simplified.

Great collection :thumb 

16. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, apart from missing the original's thigh swivels, that KO Megatron isn't too bad. I bought it with the intention customizing it into a proper voyager sized Megatron, just never got around to it.

And thanks! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1300.JPG
    I have it and I think it completely changes the figure. You give up a fair amount of articulation but you gain a great looking torso and a cool head. I almost can't stand the original head now.

• Like Like x 4
  18. DBarricade

So I wasn't able to bring you all my Titans Return guys tonight due to a bat refusing to leave the belfry. (damn it Mindwipe...)

Let's compensate with some combiner goodness!

[​IMG]

I thought it'd be easier to take pictures of them in combined mode, but no... :lolol 

• Like Like x 4
  19. DBarricade

Ironic, isn't it?

20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Hehe.

Nothing new in a while, but might change things up soon.
    IMG_4423.JPG IMG_4424.JPG IMG_4425.JPG
    Like I posted last page. I still have to aquire
    G2 Bruticus,
    Liokaiser,
    Baldigus,
    Megatronia,
    "Infuriation". Comprised of The Fallen, Exhaust, Smolder, Sunstorm, and Grand Scourge(who I already own.)
    Wreckage, formed of Toxitron, Blue Bluestreak, Punch, Impactor, someone else.
    I would also like to get Unit-3.

• Like Like x 3