Combiner Effort

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    not to insult the good boys down at Hasbro, but really-have we ever had a Gestault where it looked like some real effort went into it?

cause alot of time when combiners are released, they always have some sort of issue. either they dont balance properly. they dont hold together well. the hands and feet are crappy or are detatchable and easily lost. they're made of fairly tiny figures. some are just copies of others to save money (which, although understandable and a smart move on Hasbro's part, is irritating)

i mean seriously, how hard can it actually be? Deluxe and Voyager sized toys, all combining into a gestault. now i know they're trying to make one for the movie. do you think they'll succeed? and do you think they could try for a decent one at some point, maybe in the Universe line after RotF?

and did i forget a combiner that is sweet? or a problem with a combiner. opinions are welcome!

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    In Hasbro's defense, combiners are hard to design compared to the other TF's they design. Each member of a combiner team is essentially a triple changer. Which are hard to design on their own as it is, let along trying to make 5 or more of them that combine. Personally I have no issue with Hasbro's decision during Energon to only have three unique molds per Gestalt team. Would it have been nicer to have all 5 bots be completely unique? Yeah it would, but that doesn't mean it would have been the best option for Hasbro to do. I'd love for them to give us a new mold Gestalt, but it won't bother me if they don't for a good while. On a side note I hope we get a little 10th Ann. line for RID, kinda similar to what they did for Beast Wars.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

don't know, RID had two really good combiners, at least in my opinion. the Rail racer, was made up of three trains, which combined to a form that looked as if it was one whole robot.

and the build team guys, which can be transformed in 3 different ways in combiner mode. plus they were pretty cool by themselves too, especially the crane one with the pistol, and machinegun.

plus they were all deluxes, all the same size, worked well for me.

and at the same time i must say, most of the G1 ones, are pretty cool, the only ones i think that could of been better are, superion and menasor.

but the others, especially predaking, devastator, and computron, do appear to have LOTS of effort into making a cool toy.

and then you got the combiner primes and what not. RID Omega prime, is a pretty cool combiner, probably the best prime combiner of all time, in my opinion, then there is cybertron prime plus wingsaber, which are both pretty cool toys, both a part and together.

the energon ones, while could use some work, are still pretty cool in my opinion. it's only the hands that are the problem.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    iunno, i just feel like whenever i look at combiners, they all seem like they're cool, but lacking, in a sense.

5. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I love the combiners and i think they are very well done!

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem is frenzyrumble isn't on Hasbro/Takara's payroll.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    The G1 are perfect. Look at Abominus or Computron for exampel. Two perfect combiners.

8. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:

THIS!

9. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    The movie Devastator is sadly gonna be a crappy combiner, it'll consist of one actual tf and the rest will be drones, like energon prime, at least that's what i remember reading about him.

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Combiners are ALWAYS a compromise. Think of it in economic terms:

A combiner team of 5 characters will take up 5 pegs on the wall, normally 1 Deluxe and 4 basic. That's almost an entire wave's worth of basics for ONE CHARACTER. And with a combiner team, kids are going to want all of them, or none of them.

If you take the combiner, and make it a giftset, it shoots up to the Leader-class, which is rareified territory as most lines typically only have room for a handful, and those usually end up shelfwarming.

Add to that the difficulties in engineering. As mentioned, making a combiner is TOUGH. As individual figures, they need to appeal enough by themselves to sell on their own, while still incorporating the combination, making each one more difficult to engineer and produce than a regular toy of that class, and as a combined set they need to compete with single figures in the leader class which will inevitably look better as singular entities and be far easier to engineer and produce.

Add to that the fact that Optimus Prime and Megatron, their two surest Leader-class sellers, are typically NOT combiners (At least not in the Scramble City sense) and you see how tough it is, economically, to pull off combiners.

Rail Racer from the RiD line was a BEAUTIFUL piece of engineering... that flopped terribly as far as making money went. This may shock you to learn, but, Hasbro's purpose, and in fact the very thing that allows them to continue to exist is turning a reasonable profit on their efforts.

That we got the Energon combiners at ALL was a MIRACLE. They weren't originally meant to be in the show or the toyline, and were tacked on at the end, probably scooped out of some speculative design bin. That they're as good as they are is amazing (And be fair to the molds... if you go a little outside what the instruction sheets tell you they are WONDERFULLY flexible and poseable).

Now, with the movie combiner, we are at least dealing with a MUCH larger budget. This is a major character in the movie, the movie line has always sold VERY well, promotion budget will be orders of magnitude greater, development and design budget will be greater (Especially given how well movie toys sold the last time around) and basically Hasbro will be willing to take bigger risks and invest more into the design.

I won't be expecting movie accuracy. The scale of Movie Devestator is going to be utterly insane, given how big some of the construction vehicles apparently involved are going to be. But I suspect it will be a design they put a lot of thougth and effort into.

11. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    yeah...like its been said above, there are many reasons why u cant get the perfect combiner.. on the other hand, im quite happy with wat ive seen...i have only classics devvy, and i wanna get universe bruticus and superion as soon as their prices go down...sure, they only use 3 molds, but that doesnt mean it looks bad...theyre damn hard to design, and if they look so cool, it doesn really matter that much!

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Easy answer: Don't rely on Hasbro. Make your own.

13. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    QFT :thumbs2: