Minor/Repaint: Combaticons - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Coltello, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Coltello

Coltello Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MOST RECENT UPDATE HERE.

Hey there! Well, the idea of creating a Ultra/Voyager, non-combining Combaticon team came to me about two weeks ago. I decided to put my MP Shockwave project on standby and focus on simple repainting instead of heavy modding.

[​IMG]

So far I assembled Onslaught, Brawl, and Swindle. The molds I plan on using are Ultra Onslaught (himself), Voyager Dropshot (Brawl), and Ultra Countdown (Swindle), but I'm having my doubts about Countdown now due to its size as a limb if I ever decide to make a Bruticus combiner. I know the common mold for a Voyager-sized Brawl is the Crossovers Iron Man/Captain America humvee mold, but I'm unsure of the size. Then again, the Countdown mold to me screams the weapons-dealer G1 Swindle persona to me. Any ideas?

As for Vortex, I'm stuck between the Universe Blades mold and the Energon Quickstrike mold. The determining factor is mainly the height of the figure. As long as it's shorter than Onslaught (8") and at least 7", then it'll fit in fine. After that, it's whatever looks more deadly in robot mode!

And finally is Blast Off. Originally, I decided to imitate what Robot_Art did with him and Vortex and use two of the RiD Railbots and slightly mod them. However, after having the Railbots in my hand, they don't seem that menacing nor does the articulation suffice. Now I've decided to look past Blast Off's space shuttle mode and go with a fighter jet instead as it seems more military-ish. For him, I plan to use Universe Treadbolt, which seems perfect.

Any comments, ideas, etc. are welcome! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I like your choices. I used the energon bulkhead for my vortex. Granted my combaticons don't combine. :) 

3. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    His aren't going to combine either (at least at this point), so it's a very good mold choice!
    I look forward to what you come up with!

4. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

My Combaticons don't combine either,so it does give you more room for play.Countdown is very big for the group.I agree on Blastoff being a tricky one to pull off.There are no good Spaceshuttles in any TF line to make a good blastoff,they are either to small or to big.Heres the team i went with...

Onslaught-same are yours
    Swindle-Cybertron Defense Hotshot
    Brawl-Crossover hulk,tank version of course.
    Vortex-Movie Skyhammer
    Blastoff-Classics Lugnut.If you watch the first cartoon they are in,Lugnut is a flying fortress before he becomes a shuttle.So teh Lugnut mold is more G1 than any shuttle is.

5. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking about the Defense Hotshot mold as well for Swindle, but it felt too small for me even if Swindle is the shortest of the bunch. Do you happen to have any pictures of your Swindle next to Onslaught? And now that I think about it, Countdown is too big for the group. The mold itself isn't all that appealing either.

6. Constructor

Constructor Witness my true form!

I'd suggest Crossovers flying wing war machine as
    a flying wing looks very menacing but the robot
    mode is Kind of wimpy compared to the rest,
    but it kind of suits Blast Off and him not being
    Much of a fighter.

7. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

These arn't the best pics,i just took them real fast from the shelf they are own.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mold for Swindle and Brawl work out to about the same size in bot and alt. mode. Vortex nd Blastoff are around teh same size aswell.I was going to make them combine(got feet for brawl and Swindle and made a body to house Onslaught),then i lost interest and just made them stand alone bots.

8. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great! But unfortunately, I think I'll stick with the Crossovers Iron Man humvee and Universe Treadbolt due to size.

So far, I'm just experimenting with disassembling Onslaught and Dropshot. Pins are a pain, especially when there's only one hole. Sigh.

9. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update 8/11

Not much of an update, but I got my Blast-Off (Treadbolt) and Energon Bulkhead (Vortex) today. Took longer than expected, but I got them off of a good deal. I'll start painting soon, I just wanted to make sure I got most of the Combaticons before I started customizing. Just waiting on a good deal for Crossovers Iron Man Humvee and the crew is complete!

Height comparisons:
    [​IMG]

Quick team action pose:
    [​IMG]

Combaticon assault sentry? Or possible Bruticus backpack cannon? ;) :
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Constructor

I have to say,
    You picked a
    darn good mold
    for Blast off!

11. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! I didn't think the original space shuttle fit the military feel of the Combaticons. I've been thinking about painting them into the same colors to get the uniform feel that the Constructicons have.

12. Constructor

Uniform? I never really thought that
    they were united in any visual way.
    In terms of backstory, Starscream
    just grabbed the first five decepticon
    personality components that caught
    his eye, so I thought that they wouldn't
    have group unification like predaking or
    Devastator. That's just me, of course.

13. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I know, but seeing as they're military-based vehicles, it would make sense if they were visually unified like the military is. :p 

14. Constructor

Well I guess you're right.
    I forgot that detail...

15. Coltello

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm scraping this project as well. Money's super tight right now, so I need to sell these off ASAP. Sorry guys! :(