Minor/Repaint: Combaticon: Brawl (sanity break from Hot Spot)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by maximus_primal, Sep 9, 2008.

1. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Well this weekend I had to take a sanity break from Hot Spot and do a quick job to make myself feel better.

Here is my Combaticon Brawl to go with the Universe Onslaught. He doesn't have his decals yet but will later on. He is a Border Patrol armored carrier. I used CD Hot Shot and painted with Military Green, Military Gray, and Flat Black. I left his mini-con ports untouched incase I find a mini-con I think has to go with him. I also included in the photos the concept page for him. Hope y'all like.

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Ooh, pretty. Little tip for painting posts and ports that I find works.
    File down the outside of the post; not too much, but essentially enough to make room for a couple of coats of paint. Paint on a coat or two (or whatever covers). Then get some brush-on polystyrene cement and carefully apply a couple of coats, letting it set between coats. Test the post in a suitable hole; if the fit's too tight and rubs the paint, file it down a bit more and repeat; if the fit's too loose, put another coat or two of poly cement on, and repeat until it fits. The poly cement acts essentially as a plastic shield, and I find it reasonably hard-wearing, as long as you don't make the fit too tight.

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Wow!! :rock  That looks great! Are you going to do any head modding!

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Looks great. I would have gone the same way you did with the ports, if I had mini-cons that is. I think this guy is way more military looking that Onslaught

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Looks great. I would have gone the same way you did with the ports, if I had mini-cons that is. I think this guy is way more military looking that Onslaught

6. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very interesting. are you planning on making the entire team?

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

8. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Thanks for the tip!!!

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job, and great color scheme.

Also...about ports/balljoints, use a black sharpie if the color fits. And in this case, I think it would.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That looks great, it's a good mold and a more subdued color helps bring that out about him.

Only thing I would do would try to get a more "Brawl-like" head. Otherwise that's awesome work.

11. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I love that mold, and it looks great in those colors. Not sure is screams Brawl to me since its actually an anti air system. But looks incredible non the less.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he looks nice, but a completely different direction than I am going. I personally view that mold more appropriate for a Swindle update than a Brawl one, as its more for moving troops/personnel than it is for heavy combat like a tank is.

13. tentagil

Actually the mold seems to be based more on the BRDM-2 with the SA-9 Gaskin short range SAM system on top. Its a four man crew and fairly heavily armed and armored for repelling ground forces when its not shooting planes out of the air. Its also amphibious which is rather cool.

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well, I think its based of the STRKER, which there are at least what, 6 variants of? Same base platform, just with a wide array of uses... mainly its for troops though, armored personnel carrier, but yeah there's lots of cool crap we can use 'em for on top of that.

15. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Exactly, that's another reason I chose it for the bases of Brawl and how he could be a Border Patrol vehicle. It could be plasible for this type of vehicle being used for law enforcement. The original paint was going to be a black RIOT vehicle but I wanted him to reflect more of a G1 look (at least in color). So when I got done he reminded me of something Border Patrol might use. :D 

As for the questions about the head. I am planning on reviewing Sculpt-bot's deluxe heads and ordering quite a few for my projects. But until then I'm just going to paint the existing heads.

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    cool cool. I just wish the mold had more articulation hehehe. I'm thinking about using galvatron, 2-pack megatron, or even maybe deluxe movie brawl for mine.

17. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Redline - I think I saw one that someone had done using 2 pack and it turn out very good. If you remember I was going to use the movie one which rocked but when Hasbro released a police Onslaught I didn't feel it fit any more. I can't wait to see yours. They are so COOL!!!

18. tentagil

It can't be based on the Stryker though, that whole family of vehicles are 8 wheeled. Much as I love the Stryker the mold has alot more similarities to the BRDM-2 with the Gaskin mounted then the Styker.

BRDM-2
    [​IMG]

Styker
    [​IMG]