2D Artwork: Coloring Practice, Comments and Crist most welcome

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TriBlurr, Oct 29, 2008.

1. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Hi guys. well I'm trying to improve my coloring skills (specifically stuff with backgrounds/environments), I posted a thread a while back requesting line art that would help in this task, and now that my plate is clear for the moment, I decided to start coloring the stuff you guys were good enough to let me have a go at. I need feedback, so comments, crits, tips, etc. Be brutally honest, I want to get better, Thanks.

Anyway first up is this little piece by Wingus.

[​IMG]

I'll post more as I go.

2. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Judging by the light source in the image, the objects in the floor would be casting deep shadows into the foreground. There would also be shadows in appropriate directions away from the light source.

- Alty

3. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    yep be much much more exaggerated, white on one side and black on the other, don't be shy! you should be spending alot of your time observing.. put a lamp over anobject on your desk and see how it looks.

also inking first would help, the image you are using is a rough sketch rather than line art

4. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

agreed, exaggerate EVERYTHING! it'll lokk a lot better for sure, and you should probably use something inked too. If you need some inked stuff I can send you some.

5. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    TriBlurr, I've spent the past couple of days uploading some of my really ancient crap art onto a Deviant Art page, if you'd like some random lineart to practice on. There's not a lot of background or environments in my early stuff, but you're more than welcome to practice on anything that piques your interest there.

Most of that stuff is 8+ years old so I don't mind at all.

Here's the address: http://altitron.deviantart.com/

Hope this helps you, as well.

- Alty

6. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. I've taken another go at it with your advice in mind. Tried to narrow down to one light and exagerrate the shadows more. Also switched to a simple hard brush for now, till I get the hang of the light source thing.

[​IMG]

Better???? Worse???

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    definitely looks better... but i assume you used a brush with white as the color to make the highlights... try using a yellow (since not all light bulbs give off radiant white light) to give it some more 'feel' as well as another light source (maybe there's a light coming from inside the piece she's working on? or the tool she's using has a flame on the end of it like a welding tool?)

keep it up and stretch your imagination because in the end that counts more than anyone here saying 'looks good'

8. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Ok. Take 3

[​IMG]

Tried to define the hand a bit more. Also traded in the white highlights at the brightest points on Gina for a pale yellow. still might tinker around with the cylinder though I think.