Customs: Colored Chrome?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Other than using a clear color over chrome itself or buying a metallic paint, is there any other way to achieve this? Would mixing chrome silver with another color work.?

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm pretty sure clear color over chrome is the way to go. I could be wrong. But I imagine that mixing paint with chrome would lose some of the luster.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

when I want a metallic color, I usually do clear color over silver or chrome paint, it seems to work pretty well.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yea, I've got clear blue and yellow. I just want to see about duplicating the red chrome on that Henkei Strafe. But I'm guessing Tamiya clear red will work.

5. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

it works either way with enamels. acrylics i am not sure. in either case i prefer a silver base with a clear color because you can control the depth of the clear paint. case in point

before

easterebay006.jpg picture by anovasinn - Photobucket

after

eva2sneakpeek003.jpg picture by anovasinn - Photobucket

btw this project is unfinished . red done with testors transparent red base silver was on the model already. also it is not chrome finish but silver aluminium paint. it looks like chrome in the pic is the only reason i say that