Fan Art: color?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by starscream209, Oct 12, 2006.

1. starscream209

starscream209 the king of kings

i have a couple of drawings that i want to color on the computer but i don't know how, can any one tell me how or if i need a program or sumthing???please

2. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

Hey, dude! Welcome to the wondeful world of digital coloring. Yes, you definitely will need a good coloring program to get started. There's dozens of programs out there to choose from. Personally, I'm a huge fan of Photoshop CS. I'd suggest snatching a copy. If it's a bit too expensive, I'm sure one of the other artists here can suggest a cheaper program.

Practice hard and good luck. Can't wait to see your work.

- GWX

3. Primes spark

Primes spark Animator extordinaire!!

try a search for "the GIMP" it's a shareware (free) photoshop like program.

4. optimusprimus

optimusprimus Mastermind of Gundams

I do a lot of splicing Images together, so the basic Windows Paint program does wonderous things with layering. I tend to use Arcsoft's Photostudio 2.0 for my "pre" hand-color sketches, you can try looking that up as well, I suppose...

* By the way, what's the difference between PhotoStudio and Photoshop? Does pshop have built-in textures or something?

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah definitely look into getting Photoshop. It's nice to have as an all-around program and it's fantastic as a coloring program.

Once you have a program, go to DeviantArt.com and type color tutorial and you'll find a ton of easy, fun tricks and steps to help you along the way. We're always here as well. Coloring is awesome and my best advice to you when coloring is the "simpler the better"!

Cheers!

6. starscream209

ok so i couldn't find a free downloadable photoshop, but i did find this program called deep paint, it's prety cool.

so i found this picture on google of starscream from next years movie, i don't know who drew it but i started painting it the way that i think it should look like., and this is what i have done so far, **IT"S A SPOILER PIC**

7. starscream209

8. starscream209

9. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

Hey, there. I'm not sure what features that software program you're using has, but one thing you want to get familiar with is a concept called "flatting". Essentially, you'll be dividing your coloring work load into different layers in order to get the best results. For instance, the lineart should be on its own separate layer. Below that, you'll need a layer devoted solely to flats, which is basically a solid block of color for each section of the image. You can then create a layer above the flats and add things such as shadow, highlights, painting effects or whatever. The good thing is, if you make a mistake on this layer above the flats layer, you still have the flats layer intact. You can make corrections on the layer above the flats as needed.

There are a lot of white spaces in your coloring, so I'm assuming that 1) you don't have a flat layer and 2) you're probably coloring on the same layer as your lineart which is a no no in digital coloring.

Do a search on digital coloring and learn some of the above concepts I've mentioned or there might be many more effective techniques that stem from similar concepts.

Keep coloring!

- GWX