Customs: Color help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rexidus, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I picked up some Thuggers and have been whoring myself over them. But I need to paint them and my current acrylic paints don't seem to be all that spectacular.

Testors is apparently a great paint for figures. But I'm not amazing at identifying colors.

So I come to you to ask, what colors should I use to paint WFC Frenzy and Rumble?

Here is Testors paints options.
    Rumble and Frenzy

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    What are your current ones? How much are you thinning them, and what are you using to apply said paints?

Sorry to be obtuse, but if the issue isn't actually the paints themselves, then switching paints may not solve it.

3. Rexidus

News Credits:
    A couple of them are FolkArt but most of them are Americana. I bought them when I was more ignorant of customizing. I haven't thinned them at all either. I'm using just normal small paintbrushes to apply them. I had grabbed a pack of like 6 varying sized brushes.

If you want to see an example of what I've done with this stuff check out my Burnout link in my sig.

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Folkart is craft paint, I wouldn't use that at all on customs, too much flaking and chipping once it's cured.

I've had real hit or miss results with Testors, even back when I did model making. I decided to make the switch to Tamiya 2 years ago and I never looked back.

Though another option for good paints are Games Workshop/Citadel paints, I used that stuff when I played Warhammer and it was great for the miniatures, I even use it sometimes for small paint apps on custom TFs.

As for Rumble and Frenzy, I can't really help you on identifying good matches since I'm color blind to both red and blue hues and don't see them properly, just wanted to give you some advice on paints, hope that was fine.

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

6. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Don't mention it man, I enjoy helping others out.

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    No experience with Citadel, but i'd recomend Tamiya.

Can't speak for Folkart paints.... but Tamiya paints DEFINITELY need thinning, and quite a lot of it...the general rule seems to be that darker colors = a bit more thinning.

8. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

throw those paints away n get some real paints....
    MR. Color (lacquer) or tamiya paints (acrylic) Testors too....or if ur old enough n can handle the automotive grade paints ...
    .lookin at the burnout custom u seem to be applyin thick layers of paint.........u gotta thin down the paint and apply 1 coat at a time........................Better yet just get a airbrush...and use the paint brushes for detail painting.

9. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I don't really paint thick layers. The black paint I used is just very thick on its own so it appears that I'm dumping it on when I'm very much not.

10. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    If it's that Folkart paint that you mentioned, then yea it's the paint. But again, it's just a craft paint and isn't meant for customizing, now I've seen some guys turn out some amazing paint jobs with the stuff, but they're thinning it down.

I highly suggest trying out one of the brands that myself and others have suggested, I'm sure you will find a brand that you will get great results from.

11. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I was planning on changing brands. I had bought these paints before I did any research about customizing. So I had simply known I needed acrylic paint and visited my local Michaels.

Now I know better about the brand.

But my original question still remains. What specific colors should I try to find?

12. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Rise from your grave thread!

I'm trying to find a website to buy Tamiya paints. Their official site is out of stock on almost everything and Amazon has failed me. Nothing close enough to me has them either.

Anyone know a site where I can buy them?