Collider.com sees 20 mins of DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GoldenGraham89, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Sounds fantastic, can't wait!

2. rwalsh17

rwalsh17 Active Member

More big talk

The only thing that gave me any relief from that article is the fact that Bay had to modify his shooting style to accommodate the limitations of the 3D cameras, which ideally will result in more carefully composed shots and wider angles. Hopefully, more of the action will make sense now that we'll be actually able to see what's going on.

Everything else said is pure Bay: his ego at work.

i.e.

It's really hard to believe that Avatar's crew was as ill-prepared and "fumbling" as Bay makes them out to be while working on TF3. Those guys worked for James Cameron, the biggest (as well as one of the most demanding) directors on the planet, for close to a year. I'm sure that was a suitable boot camp for working with Bay. C'mon, barking rapid fire orders in an effort to break in the new guys would rattle even most the seasoned industry professionals, especially those working with expensive and delicate equipment as the Avatar crew were on TF3.

It's also encouraging to know that Bay had to take the liberty to "school" Shia LeBouf on the fact that some kids are afraid of life after college, since obviously, a 24 year-old world traveled actor with a working class background needs to be taught life lessons from former frat boy who attended one of the most prestigious ivy league schools in the nation and then pursued an expensive graduate degree at world-renowned private school thereafter.

But still, it's encouraging to see that Bay recognizes mistakes were made last time 'round and hopefully TF3 is a satisfying close to the trilogy. It'd be great to finally see a TF movie that doesn't become synonymous with bad Hollywood movies.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think i have little more faith that DOTM will be better than ROTF.

Also I love the idea of the Ferrarri having a Italian accent. :lol 

Also bring on Rosie and Carly!!!!!!!

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It was explained that there were several differences in shooting style. Bay tends to shoot for more hours during a day, not to mention that he shoots on location, rather than in a studio w/ a blue screen. And all he really said was that it took them a bit to get used to those differences, nothing he said sounded insulting or disparaging in any way.

To be fair, Shia never went to college, so he probably doesn't have the perspective Bay was aiming for.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's been "this ain't no cartoon, this is serious!"-ish quotes thrown around since before the first movie. I'm not honestly all that hopeful, but if so, good.

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whaaaaa?

7. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

I think this is the most likely answer. The article has a miss match of different words being used to describe the Ferrari that doesn't exactly refer to the car individually. He uses "they’re" a lot, so that can only mean he's talking about a group of Decepticons not the new car that we have seen tooling around with the Autobots during all the Chicago shooting. It's a good bet that those words are not exactly verbatim, the interviewer must have had to edit it to keep from spoiling which cars are which characters.

However, Bay does admit to naming robots what he wants, despite what Hasbro says. So its a good chance he just got confused with his characters. but then again this is Bay we are talking about. The only guy in the world who thought it was a good idea to call TF1 "Brawl" Devastator.

And seriously, you guys really think that the Ferrari could be a Decepticon Spy? Come on. If there was ever a car that should be Hot Rod in the movies that would be it, and making him a spy would just be ludicrous.

And there is the confirmation that the Twins are coming back. Sans poser-ness hopefully.

8. tfan123

tfan123 Well-Known Member

Seems like they will do a good job of introducing carly and the new characters

9. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure he was referring to the SUV's as the Dread and not the Ferrari. IMO he just got the names mixed up thats all.

10. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    The Ferrari's got an Italian accent? :( 

THE GAME

11. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    I agree.

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Interesting. My respect for Michael Bay is at an all-time high.

Though it may be crushed if tonight's teaser is just like the Mars teaser from the 2007 film.

Still, Bay's proving to be on the right track so far.

13. KaekoKat14

KaekoKat14 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda afraid to see this movie.. not because of how bad the last one was, but because of Bay. You know how he loooves to blow stuff to slag..well..I'm scared he's gonna nuke everyone in the end.. like kill off everyone in order 'to save man kind, Optimus told them to kill them all.' *sniffles* Sounds like something Bay would do.. I love the characters and get a feeling there will be more 'Jazz cases' like bye bye Ironhide, bye bye Ratchet, BB is almost dead...that kind of stuff... Can't handle another.. '86 movie.

14. jackknife123

jackknife123 Active Member

i really want to see the teaser trailer

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    well, watched the whole video and read the article. color EXTREMELY FRIGGING EXCITED

16. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Q= silver mercedes, and Enzo = Ferrari Autobot, at least when filming in Wash Dc. I spoke to a gent who was working on the vehicles, and said he had built several of them. I also saw the Ferrari in a shoot @
    the Lincoln Memorial.
    Several of the PAs that were keeping us quiet, and no flashing, referred to the two cars as that as well - so did Bay when he was yelling a little about a scene where the 3 (and Prime) sportscars pull up next to the monument.
    They were using a light-pole w/ height markers as a stand-in for a Con, who had decided that ole Abe didn't need to keep his seat

The black Suburbans = Dreadbots, but they all had Con symbols.

And I thought several earlier reports from Chicago's filming said the Nascar Wreckers (confirmed group name) were Autobots?

Quote:
    "I got rid of the dorky comedy, I mean we’ve got two little characters, that’s it, but the dorkiness is not there."
    And there is the confirmation that the Twins are coming back. Sans poser-ness hopefully.

I saw Skids & Mudflap w/ new paintjobs (black w/ their respective ROTF colors as center stripes & accents).

Likewise saw Ratchet's new paintjob, the Road Warrior truck (was told it was Megatron, but the PA would neither confirm nor deny if that's Megs formthorughout the whole movie); also Prime w/ his new trailer. My friend who stuck around & went back later in the evening w/ a new shooting location, saw Bee (not the one crashed into - that one was still in the shop, but there were 2 - one w/ tint per the crashed Bee, and one w/ clear windows), the Ferrari & Mercedes.

17. rwalsh17

rwalsh17 Active Member

what?

THIS:

"So I went out there, with my guys and their guys, we had the Avatar guys—I wanted really seasoned guys, cause it’s like either you work with the best or you’re screwed—I had the same guys that did Avatar and have a lot of experience with that system, but they’d never done what we’ve done...."

"I was pretending like this is a real shoot, and I’m throwing curveballs to them saying “Alright let’s change this lens, do this lens” and I’m trying to time them, seeing how it would affect my day. And they were scrambling a bit, so I’m like “Ugh, it could be a disaster, but maybe we can train them better, I mean it’s first day you know, they gotta set the rigs up the way I like them."

Yeah, he hasn't said anything directly unkind about the Avatar crew or Cameron, but the implication is that the stuff Bay does tests their limits in ways Cameron didn't, which is a bit of an ego boost for him. It's also rather gosh to suggest that having the Avatar 3D crew on his film, the guys that helped pioneer the technology to begin with, could lead to "disaster" unless Bay stepped in and "trained them better." Sure, the film might not turn out like he had planned, but I doubt it would've led to disaster as the term is commonly defined. I respect the man's efforts to push his crew as far as he can until he gets what he wants, but c'mon, these guys are top of the line.

Plus, Bay says that he shoots for 12 hours a day which is an industry standard. Some filmmakers choose 10 hour days to comply with union rules and avoid overtime, but with a production like TF3 they don't care about paying overtime as much as they do making their release date. So there's no evidence to suggest that Bay shoots more hours than Cameron, and even if he did, shooting 2 hours more per day wouldn't put a seasoned crew through the ringer or make it more difficult for them to operate. Quite the opposite, in fact -- longer days mean a little bit of extra wiggle room for squeezing in all the setups you need to get.

Bay:
    "And I said, “Shia, you don’t understand that because you made money as a kid, but people are terrified when they graduate college.” But it’s funny because you have to explain that to someone who has no real concept of that."

True, Shia didn't go to college, but that doesn't mean he has "no real concept" of fear of the unknown. Especially considering the fact that Shia went with his alcoholic father to AA meetings as a child and was raised for some years under financial strain by his single mother (The Kid Gets the Picture - TIME), experiences that no doubt gave a young kid plenty to be worried about. The guy was also accepted at Yale, but turned it down to continue his film career (As Shia LaBeouf grows up,critical acclaim grows stronger - OrlandoSentinel.com). He's no simpleton, he doesn't need Bay to tell him graduating college and getting your first job is scary.

Even more so, Shia was right about what's going on with Sam in TF3:

"I was talking to Shia and we were talking about character. He’s like, I was the one who saved the world, and I should be set up. And I’m like, Shia, there’s people who do heroic things all over the country, and they’re not set up, they’re back to their mundane life. And he’s like, no; I’d be working for the government. And I said, well let’s just say you’re not working for the government. Let’s just go back to real people."

There are too many inconsistencies and plot points that contradict others between the two films to go into, but it's pretty obvious that in today's plugged in and wired American culture, that somebody important would've noticed that Sam is the common element between the two insane giant robot battles that happened in TF1 and TF2. It's possible that the entirety of intelligence agencies of the US government may have just let him walk away and lead a normal life without thinking that perhaps the giant robot aliens might return and throw down fisticuffs and missiles all over the world again, but not very likely. Somebody high ranking would've scooped Sam up and given him his own agency by now, or at least have him on board as some kind of consultant. Look what the government did to Elliot and his family in E.T., and that was because they came into contact with one frickin' little 4 foot alien that did little more than dress up like a girl and eat Reese's Pieces!

It's hard to imagine that after the world witnessed a giant alien robots battling on a global scale in TF2, that Sam would be just a normal guy you might work with in your office. I haven't read the script of TF3 so I don't know if there's something secret going on behind Sam's new job, but Bay flat-out telling Shia that he's dead wrong about where his character should be after Shia has breathed life into the character for two films is an arrogant move.

Just some of the reasons why I said that most of that article was Bay's ego at work.

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Effing awesome! :D 
    Mr Bay: I salute you, your crew and everybody involved in this potential fucking kickass thrid installment! :rock :

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think the point Bay was making was that the filming of TF3 was different than the filming of Avatar, due mainly to the differences between filming outdoors vs. indoors. He actually went into some of the detail about it. Cameras use different lenses for different purposes, some are geared towards real world use and some for bluescreen work. Since the Avatar guys had never used the 3D cameras outdoors before (at least nowhere near the extent Bay was needing them), they were still in untested waters despite their experience with them. All Bay was saying was that there was a chance things could not go smoothly, due to everyone being in a situation no one has ever been in before.

I get how there's people who just flat out can't stand Michael Bay, but I fail to see how he did anything wrong in this interview.

20. rwalsh17

rwalsh17 Active Member

still got an ego

Understood, but working one film is often different than working on another. That's what's so great about working in the entertainment industry -- each job is different and has it's own challenges. So saying that filming TF3 is different than filming Avatar is like saying drinking a Budweiser and drinking a Newcastle are different -- of course they are. One tastes better, too.

A lens is a lens is a lens. Yeah, some lenses work better for bluescreen, but that doesn't mean that the camera crew on Avatar could kick up their heels and relax after mounting one lens for the day. Even with bluescreen/greenscreen work, you still need closeups, wide shots, and other situations that require swinging a lens. It's totally possible that the Avatar crew couldn't keep up with Bay's time demands because one thing you gotta hand to the man is that he works fast, but that doesn't mean they aren't practised in outdoor shooting. Remember that these guys no doubt had a exemplary dossier coming into working on Avatar. In fact, it's highly unlikely they got the job without notable camera experience, including outdoor work. So despite the fact that they may have had limited experience with the Fusion Camera System in a "real-world" setting, it doesn't mean their primarily indoor experience would've caused "disaster" on the film. Not going smoothly is one statement, "disaster" is another.

And I don't recall ever stating that Bay did anything wrong in the interview. What was said is that many of his statements came from a place of ego, which obviously is an opinion I'm entitled to. One that I think is supported not only by this interview but many statements he's made in the past regarding his abilities as a filmmaker.