Collider.com sees 20 mins of DOTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GoldenGraham89, Dec 8, 2010.

1. GoldenGraham89

GoldenGraham89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very interesting... sounds like the teaser has proper movie shots in it, rather than the description that went out recently...

3. GoldenGraham89

News Credits:
    Yeah i hope so. i dont mind the teaser that was described but it wud be cool to get a very small taste of the action stuff like what was shot in chicago.

4. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    good to hear theres no more "dorky humor"

5. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That all sounds really, really awesome.

"Bay: My take on this movie was that I wanted to make the fighting a lot more personal. In the past two movies the cavalry has always came in, this time the cavalry isn’t coming. It’s black hawk down, a small group; they’re fucked. It makes it more intimate. It’s just different."

That's probably my favorite part.

There's also the revelation that the Ferrari is apparently a
    Decepticon

And there's a little bit further confirmation that the Mercedes is a
    Wheeljack-like-character

There's hope yet.

6. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't see the article at work (stupid filters) but I'd be willing to bet the teaser might start with the described thing, then transition into some Bayham, maybe ending with a money shot of some sort (ie-Prime and Demolishor in Shanghai, Devastator being badass). I hope it's either a shot of Shockwave, a shot of Prime with the trailer transforming (giving us an idea of what the trailer is) or a shot of something massive!

7. GoldenGraham89

News Credits:
    me too but he does say theres two little characters which i think are the twins.

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    “We tried to learn from the second movie. On the second movie we got burned. We had a writers strike, we had to agree on a story in three weeks, and then we knew they were going on strike. It was a fucked scenario all the way around, it wasn’t fair to the writer, it wasn’t fair to me, it wasn’t fair to anybody. It was still an entertaining movie, but I think we failed on certain aspects. What we did with this movie is I think we have a much better script, and we got back to basics. I think there’s some really cool action on this movie, there’s some very cool conspiracy, there’s great robot stuff in this that people were missing in the second one, you’ve got great robot conflict. So I’m excited about this movie. It’s more serious. I got rid of the dorky comedy, I mean we’ve got two little characters, that’s it, but the dorkiness is not there. Dork-free Transformers. It’s much more serious. It’s still entertaining, it’s big looking.”

Awesome.

9. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was a good read! My expectations for the movie have just gone up a bit!

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    "Action"? "Robot conflict"? "Dork-free"? YEAH! That alone raised my already high hopes for this movie to astronomical proportions! :D  I certainly hope he's not lying about the "dork-free" stuff. If The Twins are the only "dorky" comedy present in the movie, I'll still be happy (no dogs, pot, balls or butts, please). If they manage to tone down The Twins, even somewhat, I'll be even happier. Humour is fine, Bay, but moderate it. Classy humour. And keep it serious. The first trailer for RotF made it feel like it was going to be really, really dark in tone, but it came out like they were trying really hard to make it a comedy.

11. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    The Ferrari is going to have an italian accent?

"Itsamee, Rodimoos!"

12. hrxzk973

hrxzk973 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When Michael Bay invites you over to his place for lunch, you don’t turn him down. Particularly when it’s a chance to hang at his production company, Bay Films and get a look at the first footage from Transformers: Dark of the Moon. And because if you turn him down, he has two massive dogs that could eat you for lunch.

So when Empire is among a select group summoned to a brown office building in Santa Monica and ushered into a screening theatre to watch some exclusive, early footage from the movie, we made sure to keep the appointment. Bay showed off an impressive sizzle reel chock full of explosions, robots, sleek cars, supermodel Rosie Huntington-Whiteley looking good and Shia LaBeouf looking pensive (no big change there, then) and then sat down to chat about anything and everything in his inimitable, candid style.

Bay first wanted to address the chatter surrounding his decision to shoot in 3D, which is adding extra workload to his time spent editing Dark of the Moon. “People were going on the Internet, saying we didn't do any 3D and there's all this talk, so we're just trying to set the record straight, you know?” Originally, the plan was to shoot part of the film in 3D and convert those scenes too tough for even the most advanced cameras to handle afterwards. And Bay naturally has an opinion on that. “Studios are rushing through their 3D. There is a right way to do it and a wrong way. I think, personally. If you want to do proper 3D it's a $30 million price tag. You don't to admit it, but that's what it really is to do proper 3D. Studios will sometimes do it for $10 million, or $12 million.

“We spent about seven months or eight months before the movie investigating all the conversion companies. We gave each one some test footage to do and, like Warner Brothers, I kind of knew that the latest Harry Potter would fall apart, that was just because they were working with a company that just didn't have the firepower. This was supposed to come out on the same 3D, conversion system but that obviously didn't work out…”

And just like he demands a lot from his cast and crew, the new format meant a clearly weary (but still enthused) Bay had to push himself alongside them. “It's a whole new animal and that's why I'm so tired, because I've had a portable Avid system installed at every residence. I go home from the edit room and I'll work sometimes until two at night, because I'm trying to jump on this movie like a m**********r. I'm trying to hit it really hard before Christmas so that we can be ahead of the curve. Compared to what our shot count turnover was from the last movie, where we are in terms of cutting time down, we're well ahead. So I'm putting the pressure on myself so that we can really do pristine 3D.”

The first footage from the film will be online later, and we’ll have more from Bay then. Oh, and the dogs? Total sweethearts, even if they are both the size of a small pony

13. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we were talking ROTF I almost wouldn't put it past Bay but it seems like he's learned a bit from the mistakes.

14. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Confirming wheeljack?

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    So it sounds like Bay's sticking by his dorky-humorless comment from long ago and it seems to be true to far.

16. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got rid of the dorky comedy, I mean we’ve got two little characters, that’s it, but the dorkiness is not there.

well the small one was wheelie i wonder if he have a side kick.?

17. hrxzk973

hrxzk973 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We were among the select few media outlets who visited the Santa Monica offices of Platinum Dunes yesterday, where director Michael Bay screened for us the new 3D teaser trailer -- as well as about 20 minutes of very rough footage -- for next summer's Transformers: The Dark of the Moon.

For the first minute or so of the TF3 trailer, you might think you're watching a period space race drama along the lines of Apollo 13. The trailer recreates Apollo 11's historic moon landing on July 20, 1969, intercutting between archival footage of news anchor Walter Cronkite and a dramatization of what was going on behind the scenes at NASA that day.

- Jaimie Trueblood/Paramount

Director/Executive Producer Michael Bay on the set of Paramount Pictures? Transformers: The Dark of the Moon.
    Cronkite then ominously tells his viewers they've lost the feed from Apollo 11. Back at NASA, the ground control crew inform astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin they can now undertake their real reason for getting to the moon before the Russians: a giant alien spacecraft has crashed on the dark of the moon. And what they find inside it ... will be revealed when you see the trailer online or in theaters this weekend (it will be attached to The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader).

Bay reminded us that the special effects and 3D in the trailer still wasn't 100%, but they were certainly passable enough for casual filmgoers. (He just began editing the movie three weeks ago, so to invite press in this early to see footage is unprecedented.) Following a lunchtime chat, the director took us over to his editing bay and showed us -- without any studio reps present -- a good chunk of (again unfinished) footage from the last act of the film.

While Transformers 3 boasts a number of locations around the world (including some additional days of location shooting abroad scheduled to take place in January), a great deal of the movie takes place in Chicago. Bay was very adamant that we be respectful of the film's unfinished state and of the plot secrets we were made privy to, so we're going to honor that wish. But we're also not going to leave you hanging.

- Alex Garcia/Chicago Tribune

The Transformers 3 set in Chicago.
    Much as Egypt was the setting of the last 40 minutes of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the Windy City will serve a similar function in The Dark of the Moon. The first thing that was immediately apparent from the footage was the tone of the movie, a far darker, hostile and scarier film than its critically savaged predecessor. Indeed, Bay himself made his disdain for the 2009 film well known to us, bemoaning the Writers Strike that left them tethered to a weak screenplay and the overall "dorkiness" (his phrase) of its humor. Bay vows that in the third film, death is final and the Decepticons mean effin' business. And no dorky humor.

Bay said that the footage he showed us wasn't necessarily representative of the film as a whole, in that he wanted more character moments and more peppering of action sequences throughout with a build-up to a hell's bells, balls-to the-walls finale unlike the incessant shoot 'em-up of the last film. Without giving away too many spoilers, we can say that the homestretch of the film sees Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) venturing into the devastated Windy City on a rescue mission alongside Epps (Tyrese Gibson) and a small team of handpicked men. The Decepticons have utterly devastated Chicago. Bay sees this portion of the film, with its small band of desperate protagonists up against overwhelming enemy odds, as being along the lines of Black Hawk Down.

Was there also a Decepticon on the grass knoll?
    We can't get into specifics of the sequence, but we can reveal that one of the action highlights of the movie will most certainly be Josh Duhamel's Lennox and his squad using wingsuits to fly through the canyon of downtown Chicago buildings, a sequence rendered largely practically using the best wingsuit flyers in the world. (One of them even did the stunts with a heavy "neck-breaker" 3D camera rigged to his helmet!) Everything action-wise felt much more hands-on here, grimy and nasty like real combat would be. Another standout bit was when Optimus Prime went Oldboy on a few Decepticons. And that's all we're gonna say about that!

We also saw footage of ex-Agent Simmons (John Turturro), the Secretary of Defense (Frances McDormand), Sam's new British girlfriend Carly (Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, whose ass Bay knows how to frame just right in every shot), her douchebag boss (Patrick Dempsey), and comic relief Ken Jeong.

Nobody seems more aware of the penance that needs to be made for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen than Michael Bay, who seemed legitimately and deeply disappointed in the film and did everything but flagellate himself in front of us. He repeatedly said that this film is meant to set things right with the franchise, and judging from the sweet teaser trailer and the kick-ass (2D) footage we saw, it certainly seems like Transformers 3 is on that path. You can decide for yourself whether Bay has atoned for the last film when Transformers: The Dark of the Moon opens July 1, 2011.

18. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

No more dorky humor. Good. Ferrari with an Italian accent? Kinda cheesy. Also, why does he keep referring to the Ferrari in plural form?

I think the Ferrari is interesting. I call him the Dreadbox. I don’t know what the toys are going to be called; I have my own name for these things. They’re pretty cool; they’re Decepticons.

Is the Ferrari going to be made up of multiple bots? Kinda confusing here.

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Am I missing the part where it mentions Mikaela's fate? In which is claimed by the front page?

20. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ferrari----Decepticon it fits the pic of it..

[​IMG]