Collector's Survey Now Online - Enter to Win $100 gift card

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Junior, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Junior

Junior Wise Beyond My Years TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hello Potential Participant,

As a student at the University of South Florida and an employee of Toys “R” Us, I have discussed with my colleagues the importance of the collector community on numerous occasions. Unfortunately, there seems to be substantial lack of data available in regard to collector’s preferences and their buy habits. By participating in this survey, you are providing valuable data to push for changes in the way retailers and manufacturers interact with collectors. Potentially, this may lead to enhanced offerings and a greater variety of products.

Since I realize your time is very valuable to you, each person who completes this 20 question survey will have a chance to WIN a $100 gift certificate to Toys “R” Us. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Barry Mazzoni
    Marketing & Events Coordinator
    Toys “R” Us #8744

Rules: Survey open to residents of the US and Canada. Contest is void where prohibited. Winner will be notified by 12/31/06. One entry per name, per household. Repeat entries will be deleted.

Click here to take survey

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumb 

Nice survey!

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I got:
    Did I finish it or did it poop out on me?

4. Junior

News Credits:
    Sorry, I had to fix something minor. It should be working now.

Thanks.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You made this? Hope I win

*slips Junior a $20*

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My bro SW.CA have the same last name, does that mean only one of us can enter?

7. Junior

News Credits:
    Yes, I wrote the survey for my MBA project.

8. Junior

News Credits:
    Yes, both of you can enter. I just want to make sure that I get usuable data and not have someone sending in 10 entries. Just make sure the first names and the e-mails are different.

Thanks,

Junior

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Sent my info :D 

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Filled it out. Good luck with yoru survey!

11. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I really wish someone at my TRU was as much a fan as you. You're event looks amazing. You need to have TRU make it mandatory at all stores!

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Just took the survey and I would like to thank Junior for that.

13. Junior

News Credits:
    Thank you for the compliment. Believe me when I say that I have tried, tried, and tried to push this event to other areas. Perhaps after this survey is completed and the movie is out, we'll see more of the event. You never know what the future may bring.

14. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Survey taken.
    Junior, not only do I wish I had a TRU closer than 4 hours away from me, I wish the one I have twice yearly access to was more inclusive with Transformers.
    My local Wal mart has a section 5 times the size of the TRU I go to in Green Bay. :( 
    Thanks for being someone actually in the biz that cares about your fellow fans, and for the quiz I just took. :) 

15. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

I just completed the survey, and I have to say, I very much enjoyed it. It's always great to see someone associated with a major retail organization having a keen interest in the needs and concerns of the collectors market.

Also, I just want to compliment you on the well thought-out survey you put together. I've taken courses on research methods and models, so I know how difficult it is to put together a survey that fully addresses all your needs, including the ones you are not yet aware of. Did you formulate a hypothesis for this survey, or are you just collecting some general information? What are you hoping to conclude?

16. Junior

News Credits:
    Thank you for the compliments. There is a vast amount of data in regard to "why mom buys for her child" but there is little published data on collectors. My hypothesis is that there is so little data on Collectors' buying habits that retailers and some manufacturers are clueless on how to successfully obtain and retain their business. That is where this survey comes in.

Hopefully, there will be enough useful information to make some concrete statements about why collector buy and why they buy their collectibles from the places they currently do.

17. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

That's an interesting hypothesis, and it's definitely one that retailers should focus more on. To me, toy retailers aren't really looking far enough into the future. Places like Toys R Us in the future won't be able to thrive and have continually increasing profits as the market for children's toys decreases, which I believe has been a proven trend over the past few years. Kids today grow out of toys faster and faster, preferring video games and gadgets. As a result, I think companies have been "dumbing down" and reducing the complexity of their toys in order to appeal to a much younger audience (look at the fact that the most recent TF lines, such as Armada and Energon, have much more simplistic transformations and even say on the box "3 and up" or "4 and up" now). As a result, the variety of toys could decrease, which as a result could equal less SKUs, which means less product, which in turn means less sales for both retailers and manufacturers.

Because of this, I think places like Toys R Us should start focusing more on the needs and preferences of collectors. I realize that collectors make up an overall small percentage of the market, but it's a percentage nonetheless, and one that is up for grabs and is currently being tailored by the online store community. Things such as increased availability and selection would go a long way to attract people with disposable income.

Also, I know that retailers have already been somewhat tailoring to collectors already, in the form of exclusives, but to me they could go furthur. For the MISB collector at heart, maybe Toys R Us could begin offering some sort of preorder system for certain figures, or even offering guarantees for collector's grade on the packaging of different figures. Maybe these are things that are impossible or just plain pointless, but I think this is something a struggling retailer like Toys R Us should look into.

That's my rant anyway....;) 

So..uh, yeah, I very much hope you get a suitable population size for your survey, so you can make sound conclusions. Good luck! Oh, and I hope I win!!

18. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks, Junior. I just filled it out and I appreciate your taking the time to do this. That being said, I do hope I win, but I'm also glad to know the data will be compiled, processed, and will, hopefully, be used in a manner that will benefit the collecting community. Many thanks!

19. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    my tru used to have a transformers selection that was the size of an entire store aisle. now it's no bigger than my refrigerator. no seriously, it is that redicuously bad.

20. Junior

News Credits:
    Bump