Collectors question?

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Optimus Layne, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

:confused:  so as a colelctor would you open the figures and put them in lie a glass display shelf or would leave leave then in the package unopened? :confused: 

2. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

sorry my keyboard got stuck what i meant to say was..

as a collelctor would you open the figures and put them in lie a glass display shelf or would leave leave then in the package unopened?

3. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

I open all first issue transformers. The redecos I leave in the package.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Out of the box. I don't want to stare at a package behind glass. Plus, you can't pose them while they're in the box, can't transform them into a different mode while they're in the box, and most of the packages you can't see them very well in anyway.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

depends on the item. if you have a G1 misb toy you may want to keep it closed. your choice really.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    G1 stuff is going to in the future be keept MIB in boxes behind glass dorrs. Some stuff will be loose like minibots , and smaller ones. ( Everything is boxed up , well almost all due to moving.

I still say boxed stuff can look good behind glass doors to.

7. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I never, ever, ever, open any vintage sealed boxes. Some of my MiB ones I have out for display in my detolf cabinets, some are in their boxes. I hardly open any of the newer series either. I've opened my Classics, while my Cybertron collection is all MiSB and MOSC.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I open pretty much every TF but if I'm not playing with it, it's behind solid doors with no light whatsoever hitting it. The light will cause a TF to yellow over time.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    People receive gratification in many different ways.

Personally, I see the entire figure w. box as a piece of art to display. I enjoy everything much more when it's a pristine, clean, organized, state. Sealed is the way to go with me.

With loose figures out, I just don't have the time and patience to keep dusting. On top of it, I end up putting the toy right back into the box when I'm done with it.

10. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    all I have to say is, if you cant decide if you wanna keep it in the box or not...

Buy 2
    one to keep in box, one to play with.

11. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if it's a rare item I'll leave it MISB. if I buy two of one TF, I open one and leave the other unopened. I also leave redecos MISB like movie G1 Jazz and G1 Starscream.

12. defstar

defstar Autobot...

It's line based with me...

Classics come out of the box...very poseable and fun to transform...they don't really look that great in the box anyway...

Alternators come out of the box...same reason as classics...

Robot Heros stay MISB...they don't transform anyway...and I like their packaging...

6" Titaniums stay MISB...great packaging that allow you to see the TF really well...most of them arn't constructed well anyway for handling...

TRU Reissues stay MISB...probably the best boxed TF's I've seen...they make wonderful displays with the box closed or open...

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I have a very, very small number of figures that are still sealed; it has to either stupidly rare or DEAD mint for me to not open it. For example I have a C9.5+ MOSC G2 Hero Prime that is still sealed, as is my C10 Beast Wars Primal/Megatron Basic Class 2 pack. Other than that I can't actually think of anything else I've kept sealed over the years.
    I like displaying my TFs; I don't have nearly enough space to display them all, but pretty much every flat surface in my room is covered in them. I also have a small display cabinet on top of my TV that I display TFs in :) 

14. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I do both depending on my mood and the toy. I'm also a buy two of them kind of guy for certain figures. Their packaging can have an effect as well.

Example
    Classics Grimlock. Not the greatest figure, so I only planned on buying one until I was throwing away the package after I had opened him and noticed that their was a priniting mistake. I then promptly went to purchase another one to leave in the packaging.

So, I guess it just depends on the collector/item/mood/whatever! :) 

15. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Depends on how you feel about them, l personally don't open any of my boxes, bot I tend to buy some loose lots, so they went into display.

16. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

I take mine outta the box! I hope to have a glass case someday!

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Totally up to you. Some people leave everything in the package. Personally I open up 99% of everything. I only have a fewTFs I've left MIB: WSTF G2 Grimlock (Santa Commander), Cybertron Galvatron, and my double set of the entire Classics line. I also have Reissue Soundwave/ Ravage/ Laserbeak and Energon Grimlock/ Swoop displayed in their boxes, but I've removed them from their boxes. I do keep the card backs for Scouts and Deluxes, as well as the entire Packaging for Masterpieces, Alternators, WSTF Dinobots, and a select few other items.

Long story short, do what you want! :) 

18. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    i do all 3
    misb loose and some AFA

19. nintendocon

nintendocon Autocon

I open all of mine, even my TRU exlusive soundwave but i put him back in the box the way i took it out so that it still looks nice.

20. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

its a matter of preference, it all depends on you whether you want them in the box or out of it. in my case, if i cant have doubles of rare items, i keep them misb or mib at least.