Collectors Guide Book?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've seen numerous collector guide books available for Transformers. I'm interested in finding one that contains all of the G1 characters and possibly Alternators/Binaltechs, and Masterpieces.
    What book should I look for? Where's the best place to find one? And yes, I've tried searching for it here but could not find it.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really depends on what specifically you're looking for. Are you looking for something with pictures of the toys and their accessories? Are you looking for something with design sketches and animation models? Are you looking for just the US G1 characters or the Japanese continuity ones as well?

3. Tigertrack

All the above!

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You'll likely have to buy multiple guidebooks, then.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's some info:

More:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-general-discussion/280939-transformers-guide-books.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/260031-recommend-identification-guide.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...-transformers-identification-price-guide.html

6. Tigertrack

I'm not concerned about text being in English as long as there are plenty of pictures to get the jest of it.
    I'm looking for a color-catalogue type guide book showing what's out there to collect and hunt for.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Id reccomend Bellomo's Transformers Identification and Price Guide its has all the US G1 all the way through the action masters, and while some of the figures pictured are a bit roughed up it shows all the parts, the pricing is out of date so pay it little mind. The pictures don't seem Blurry in the least to me, nor do they seem over lit.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Just another suggestion is to browse our resources section here. You won't need to spend any money and everything is pretty much covered in there.

9. Tigertrack

I've looked through the resources already. I'd still like to find some kind of catalogue that I can hold in my hand and browse through from time to time. Then check the figures I've got and see what else to look for.

"Bellomo's Transformers Identification and Price Guide"

Where would I find that?

10. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have one of those books and i got it from books-a-million.

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    If you can find it for a good price, This is the only book you'll ever need :) . It'll also send you broke the fastest... :lol 

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I picked mine up at a comic store, used for less than $10. Amazon.com has it new and used for less than $11.

I generally agree with what ams and grimlock1972 said of it, and would add that I also don't like that it includes so few MIB photos. I'd also like to have seen pics of parts/accessories and sticker sheets, of which it includes none. Parts/accessories are only pictured as attached to the figures. And how about front AND back photos, huh? (Some figures I found incomplete at thrift stores and flea markets I sometimes didn't realize they were missing parts until I saw a photo of the back side of the figure.)

And the price guide is truly useless -- makes me wonder why Bellomo even bothered to research the prices. They were dated before the book even went to print.

What's good about it is specifically for ID'ing G1 toys and the handy, compact size. Whenever I find a good used price for one of the better guides ams recommends, I'll probably trade or sell my Bellomo guide via the Junkion Exchange.

13. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

I was very pleased with the Bellomo guide. I thought the pictures were fine, and I dug the extra write-ups the author did for each character/toy. I refer to it all the time, especially when I'm on the john and the new Toyfare isn't out yet.

14. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? I just flipped through the first forty pages and I'd say at least half the pictures are out-of-focus or suffering from flash glare; certainly a far cry from the quality of many of the pictures I've seen posted by members here at TFW... and a long, long way from the crisp and uber-clear pics from the Generations book.

I also forgot to mention that the toys in the Bellomo book are not always in mint condition (Mirage, page 20) - or even clean (Warpath, page 38). Still, it's the cheapest and most readily available one out there.

Mark Bellomo posted here when he was in the process of developing the book; seems like a real nice guy. As I recall, people told him not to bother with the price guide; apparently it was a requirement from either Hasbro or his publisher.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  15. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I would recommend the new Generations books, they are supposed to cover every Transformer ever made and include some photos of upcoming releases. I have the first two volumes although I haven't really spent a lot of time looking through them, but like ams said; they are not very organized.

He said it was a requirement from his publisher in order to justify the publishing cost, apparently it's easier to market a price guide than an identification guide. Either way it's a really nice book but it is limited to G1.

16. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    You want a piece of those old skool Vintages, grab a copy of TFs Generation. (2001)

Downside: You get all the words in Japanese so... :redface2: 

You want some modern day TFs, then go grab the latest Generation volumes. (3 of those books)

Downside: AGAIN, you get all the words in Japanese so...

:p 

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having read most of 'em, I consider Bellomo's guide book to be the best all-rounder. Not perfect, but it has everything you need.

As some one said, the price guide is useless - BUT HE ACKNOWLEDGES AS MUCH. He didn't want to include a price guide, but the publisher made him.

All price guides are pretty useless really.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Which one does iloveness refer to at the beginning of his reviews?

It has a G1 Optimus on the cover with the grid design in the background that was common on the G1 packaging.

EDIT - Never mind, it's the Bellomo guide.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:

I took a look and your right but its not severe enough to impair their usability to identify figures, so to me i don't worry about it. I bought it to help in dentification and that it does nicely i reccomend it, i bought it on Amazon. I do agree a little clean up on some would have been nice

20. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're right, I'm overly nitpicky about such things; it does serve the purpose just fine.