Collector's Block! Help Me !!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by Grade-A-Prime, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Grade-A-Prime

Grade-A-Prime USDA CHOICE

Ebay:
    Hello Everyone, G.a.P. Here with a HUGE problem. After packing all my tf's away over a year ago, I can finally display them again. Problem is, I'm not sure how I should do it. My last display was by series, in bot mode, and went top to bottom, left to right. I've looked at tons of video and pictures of fellow collectors and see that its split down the middle whether you pair the same series together, or group them by their name. All my tf's are packed in alt mode to make it safer for transport. They're bagged in ziploc's with all their appropriate accessories. So, when I display them, I will need to decide whether to leave them in alt mode , or transform all of them.

Did I mention I have over 1000?? At last count I was at 1011. ...and I have 3 more on their way. Here's a list of what I have broken down. I just want to see if there's any other ideas out there I haven't thought of yet I also took pics of the shelves I put up for an idea of space. All shelves are on adjustable uprights.
    Btw, I will be setting this up over the next 3 days with a deadline of Friday at midnight if at all possible.(my kids are comin' for the weekend). So, once all advice is taken under consideration and the display is complete, I'll post the pictures and give credit to those of you who helped.

Oh, oh, oh, I almost forgot, if any of you are in the Indianapolis area and would like to help me out , by all means, PM me.

Inventory:
    G1-All "series" up to 5 except for Fort Max(donations accepted :)  )
    G2- About 10 total including Megs, Optimus and the cyberjets, a few others
    Machine Wars-Entire Collection
    Beast Wars-All U.S. Release minus 1st wave and 13 others.
    Beast Machines- Almost all of them except Supreme size Jetsorm/Cheetor
    R.I.D.-Entire Collection
    Armada-Entire Collection except Tidal Wave
    Energon-Entire Collection except Offshoot and Prlnx Demolisher
    Cybertron-Entire Collection
    Universe '06-07- All except Ultra Magnus and Prime excl. from Sam's.
    Classics-All
    Movie '07-All
    Classics 2.0/Universe-All so far
    Animated- All that are out atm
    Alternators-All except Nemesis Prime
    Star Wars TF-All except 3, I DO have the Death Star and Millenium Falcon
    Marvel TF's- 5

Well, that's a rundown of my collection, and all are from U.S. release except a LioConvoy and a Kicker figure.

I also have about 20 boxed, but not interested in displaying them at this time.

Thanks for your help everyone!!!
    This is the north and east wall of my hobby room-north shelves are 3' long,east shelves are 4' longx2wide
    [​IMG]
    This is my south wall..3' shelvesx2 wide
    [​IMG]
    This is the west wall..a little tricky...the left set of shelves are 2'x10", the right set ae 4'x12". This was to allow for walking space next to door.
    [​IMG]

G.a.P.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Display them in your favorite mode and by size to help make more room. Displaying by series can take up more room.

3. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:

Hmmm...by size...ok, sounds good...was thinking of making all my tall guys on the top shelf since their easier to see,and all the mini's on bottom shelves for visiblility. Not sure how NOT putting them in order by series would work, but its a good suggestion. Thanks for the help!

Oh, and I'm looking for any suggestions to elimate/reduce dust. I'm going to probably black out the window, but dust is always a problem.
    G.a.P.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Display them at my house and then forget you left them there.

Display them by series, but don't crowd them. That way you can get them down and play with them whenever you want.

5. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:

LOL!! Good one! Now that's what I call an original idea....displaying them somewhere else!!! Ha!!

And yeah, I hate the idea of overcrowding...I get lots of visitors and if they wanna see one that's in the back, I don't want to move them aound or risk a domino effect trying to reach them. Good advice natureboywoo.

6. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

wow that shelf set up is great. setting up a collection is always tough. try setting them up by series/size/faction. fitting them properly is like a puzzle. and doing so with such a large collection can be tricky. Especially trying to do so with a minimum amount of cluttering. maybe try fitting them bot mode (backs against the wall) alt mode (forward of shelf) and alternate this by best fit.(You can also angle/stagger front row alt modes for an added touch.) It may also help the line of sight when all is done. and please try to avoid lining them up like an army of clones. wish I were in Indi to help u out sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the finished product. Good Luck!

7. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

Can't wait for the finished setup :D .

What about Movie figures? Collecting those at all?

8. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:
    Movie Figures!!!!????

"What about Movie figures Collecting those at all?"-Inferno4565

OMG!!!! I can't believe I forgot to list them! Yeah, I have all of the 1st set of Movie figures and plan on getting the set of the new ones from RotF. Wow! Thanks for reminding me! I'da been pissed if I forgot to leave room for them!
    Guess that means I have too much huh??? Nah....never!

G.a.P.

9. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

By size and series might work.

10. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:
    Ok, I've decided...now to find some help!

Anyone interested in helpin a tf collector out is welcome to with the offer of free food and drink. I live in Indianaplis, In. and if you would like to help, I'm here all day. PM me for address and ph #.
    Also, I will be selling 90% of my Beast Wars-Beast Machines collection for 2 reasons...1...MONEY! 2- No Space for everything...so, IF you come to help, you will also have 1st dibs on purchases. I will be keeping my favorites..i.e. Megs,Ops,Silverbolt,Tigerhawk,Depthcharge and a few others, but be assured there are plenty left. If interested, please contact me.

And for what I've decided to do is an amalgam of several suggestions left by my responders.
    I'll be going by series, small on bottom, largest on top, and alternating bot/alt mode for those I believe look better in 1 of the modes. I'll also be grouping a few together like my Primes, Megs, Screamers, and a few of my favorite bots like Prowl, Red Alert,Jetfire,and Grimlock.

So credit goes to :
    Inferno4565-Thanks for reminding about the movie figs...derr
    Tomagnus-Very insightful post
    OldsCut78- keeping my favorites seperate per your suggestion
    Brollicon-Though I don't live in Cal. I will keep my rarest/expensive ones secure.

Honorable/humorous mention goes to :
    thenatureboywoo- Yeah, displaying them at your place would be easier! Ha!

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My trick for keeping the toy room clean and dust free? Make sure that your furnace filter is clean, and keep the door shut. We have Shelties (long hair and shedders) and were it not for that the room would be 3 foot thick with fur.

12. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:
    Generation One 99% Done

Here's pictures of my G1 collection....All that's missing is my Prime, PM Prime, Ultra Magnus, and Megatron...their going somewhere else.

Hope you like!

coming soon...Machine Wars and R.I.D.

Btw, check out my video of the collection on youtube under YouTube - cksuperdude's Channel.

Thanks!

BigBots on Floor...for safety.
    [​IMG]
    All my smaller bots like Mini-bots,Throttlebots, Then Cars,Seekers,Dinobots,etc..
    [​IMG]
    ,OOAK's,Blaster,Soundwave,Targetmasters,Headmasters,etc...
    [​IMG]
    PowerMasters,Pretenders,Combiners(Can't see them very well-their behind the Pretender Autobots.(I know the 2 cars aren't G1, their fillers.
    [​IMG]
    And My top corner of Predaking and Piranacon.
    [​IMG]

13. TFtoyaddict

TFtoyaddict Former Lurker

Ummm just a little thing Ive noticed, window, man. Please keep the sunshine away for your G1s sake! Well hope that piece of advice helps...

14. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:
    Ok, I should have the G2 and Machine Wars Line up tonight, then I begin work on R.I.D. Let me know what you think of the set-up so far.
    thanks for looking!

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    When I had that many or more TFs, I broke em up by series, and then by Faction. When the number of figures is that high, it just works best to keep em seperated that way. Course, now I'm down around 100 so I just seperate em by faction.

16. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

BTW, where did you find the 2 feet deep brackets? I could only find 16-18".

17. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

Use thin plexiglass. Make a frame around the shelves and use hinges so you can open and close it. They are relatively cheap and you can find them at home depot. A little bit of planning and you'll figure it out how to accomplish.

18. TFtoyaddict

TFtoyaddict Former Lurker

Well with dust one of the biggest collectors is carpet see. If you can have polished wooden floors instead it helps minimise it. I know its an expensive thing to do, if you don't plan of changing your carpet floors, just have the carpet regularly shampooed of vacuumed mebbe 2x a week. Doesnt have to be thorough vacuum al the time mebbe for the first 3 times then if your dooing it regularly 2x a wekk it should help keep it the dust minimal. Dust also is generated by human activity in the room, shed skin and all. So, if its just you it should keep to a minimal. Go for blinds instead of drapes to block the window as drapes catch more dust as well. Cheers!

19. Grade-A-Prime

Ebay:
    If your referring to the brackets that hold the shelf, and not the uprights that attach to the wall...

In the video/pics all of my G1 are on 3'x10" shelves. The shelving I have on my main wall uses 4'x12" brackets.

I bought my entire shelving set-up at Menard's. Home Depot also has a very similiar product, but just more expensive.

Uprights: $2.50-6.00each
    Brackets:$ 1.30-1.80each
    Shelves:$ 5.88-8.88each

(These were bought in sets of 4's. I'm not rich by any means!)

Keep in mind all shelves are laminated on all sides, and all brackets and uprights are molded in white. There are obviously cheaper ways to go, but the labor exceeded the benefit after close examination.

So, there is a description of my set-up. Hope this helps anyone who's thinking of a similiar display.

G.a.P.