Collectors and wives!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Flyby33, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So my wife hates my addiction, but has grown to accept it. She knows I will continue to collect (it keeps me out of her hair). I am one of the fools who spends hundreds a month on tfs. I make enough money to be fortunate to be able to do that and still bank money. With that being said I still tell her for example: I paid 90 for a cybertron primus a few months ago when it arrived she asked as she always does "how much was it?" My reply was 40 bucks, so she don't flip out. Now the money I spend on tfs is my funny money to do as I please with. She just has the belief that tfs should cost more than 50. No matter what, silly girl. Anyone else in my boat. Before I get scolded for "strecthing the truth" on cost all bills and my family come first. Like I said im lucky to be able to have the money for these purchases.

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I, um, can't relate to that at all.

My wife and I don't have "fun money" or "mad money" or whatever other term people use. We talk about things and buy what we want or need.

She enjoys a lot of the collecting stuff I do and more than tolerates my collecting...she encourages/enables it. (We just started collecting anime statues together as a shared hobby)

There's no lying or covering up costs or whatever and she doesn't "permit" me to have this hobby to get time away from me. Hell, she's always trying to get little bits of time in together.

I'm not trying to one-up you or be snippy in response. I just couldn't imagine going about a big hobby like this any other way.

brb, I'm going to go call her and say "I love you."

3. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear ya. Honestly, I try to be as close as possible on it. Usually if I get something on eBay I'll tell her what the sale price was, and leave out shipping, because it doesn't bother her. I think so long as you are "in the ballpark" it's irrelevant so long as everything ELSE is taken care of first.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I saw the title and thought, "someone is collecting... wifes?"

Anyways, I have a girlfriend, she is totally cool with it as long as it doesn't cut into savings and budgets.

5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I collect and I don't care.

I pay the bills, food on the table and my critter has everything he needs.

I also do it as cheaply as possible via haggling, discount codes, sales, trades, etc.

She complains I look up at the ceiling and open the fridge and walk away :sly2: 

6. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lol no offense taken.its not so much lying it just helps defuse her getting mad. If I were to buy let's say a 50$ tool I didn't need she would be like no biggie, but to buy a 50$ scout aka munitioner she would get "mad" cuz she doesn't understand why I spend that kinda of money on them. Hell she'd rather I buy a 60$ ps3 game. She knows of every purchase just not the cost

7. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Better than me. My girlfriend loves that I collect stuff but gets mad if I don't buy her nice things... like designer handbags and etc. Her quote "What's yours is mine, what's mine is mine"... girls...

8. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

^^Same here... As long as everything is taken care of she doesnt care... She always tells me its an investment... If she only knew I would have to sell her before my collection...lol...

9. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my wife doesnt ask and i dont tell lol. we both have great paying jobs, bills are paid, savings grows and then i buy stuff. she knew all about the hobby going in .

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

My fiance is supportive as long as the bills are paid.

She actually enjoys the excitement that I get when I get a new purchase that I really like. For example, last night the Ramhorn that I needed to complete Tripredacus came in and I was having a blast getting him into the combined form. Once it was done, I just sat back to look at it for a while and she told me that it was really cute! She's also cool with them being out of the toy room when I first get them as long as they get put away within a week. Gotta love that woman!

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mines more then tolerant of it. She might not completely like it, or understand it, but she appreciates me working for all these years now to support us while she's been completing college and shit.

I wish sometimes she'd be into tf's too so it could be a shared hobby, but at the same time I realize I'm not into vampire movies or knitting and she's ok with that. A hobby can still be tolerated by a significant other and not necessarily enjoyed by them :lol 

But yeah I would advise to shoot straight on the $$ issues, just cause it could lead to eventual conflicts. If she has problems with how much your spending on your hobby, best to get it out in the open and dealt with. If she does tell you there's a problem with it, maybe look into getting a seperate CC that you can pay off on a monthly basis, so you can actually keep tabs on how much your dumping into your hobby. It might actually be more ridiculous then you think and you'll end up forcing yourself to cut back.

12. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Wifey doesn't understand the need to have the same character in multiple lines. That being said, she's trying her best to Christmas me pretty much all the Diaclone paint schemes. So far that she's got me: G1 Perceptor (loose), SDCC Soundwave, SDCC Blaster, Protector Ironhide, Black Megatron, Masterpiece Voltron, a steel Captain America shield, sterling silver Green Lantern ring, Bluestreak puzzle and board game from Warren games, and an asston of Battle of the Planets memorabilia.

I've lost count of the bots she got me while I was deployed in Iraq. I can remember distinctly that she painted my entire 40K Tau army for me while I was gone.

14. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was collecting before my wife and I got together so she knew about it from the beginning and is generally fine with it.

I generally set a budget for my spending in any given period of time so as to keep my spending within reason. As long as I stick to that she doesn't care what I spend on anything, though I can't say she doesn't give me a look or two when I buy something expensive. In any case, she is the one who is bad with money in our relationship so the scolding on spending is usually coming from me anyways. I think she probably likes my collecting because it gives me less room to complain about her spending.

I always tell her that when she drives me to an early grave as all women do to their men she will be able to get a nice chunk of cash out of my toys so really I'm just planing for her future :) 

15. RICEMASTER

RICEMASTER Special Agent Doofy

Flickr:
    Flyby33, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I think my only saving grace was Twilight, ever since that came out my wife has been collecting all the figures, lunchboxes and etc. Plus, whenever I make a hefty purchase, she gets the green light for a new designer purse or something of equal value $$$ of what I spent. I still bend the truth on what I spent on my toys, but I'm usally within 10-20 bucks less of what it really cost me. I think she finally understands my nerdism and doesn't fuss as much. I think it's nice to have funny money, given the times, but my priorities always comes first.

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    No girlfriend, so no worries about my collecting. My family gets annoyed though if i bring them out of my room lol

My cousin though, when he got married-could only pick one Transformers O.O I don't even know who it was, I knew he was in mourning so I didnt ask

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    My wife is fine with it as long as the bills are paid (I think there's an echo in here! :) ).

She doesn't ask how much I spend, I don't tell. It's better that way. :lol 

18. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i am very fortunate mine helps me hunt, reminds me of things on ebay, and as of late has helped me out with a few customs (i.e. does this look like this picture) and honestly gets made at me cause i dont spend enough money on myself.

and my family just thinks its good i have a hobby (aside from building cars)

19. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

upon arriving with the two new Monster High Dolls she been hunting, the first thing that she tells me is: "where's the rest of the wave?"

she has her moments and i have mine. as long as our lives do not get affected, she's okay with it. sometimes i buy too much and she'll let me know. my wife and i talked about my collection, the custom Gi joe stuff are taking too much space. we talked about it and agreed to buy only TFs since the other toys get no loving. she also goes hunting with me most of the time.

also as a compromise, i tend to sell the ones that collect the most dust.

most of the TFs i have my wife bought for me:

- custom devastator parts
    - MP04 xmas gift
    - THS02 a gift
    - G1 mint devastator bday gift
    - Mp thundercracker bday gift
    etc

ohhh one time we fought cause her dog ate three of my toys. i wanted to trade her dog for a Masterpiece TF. she got me a glass display case a week later. :D 

20. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Mine isn't necessarily into TFs but she is addicted to the hunt. She herself collects designer vinyl toys which are not available at retail stores (only specialty stores and online), so the hunt was a new and wonderful thing for her. So were always hitting up Targets and Toys R Us if we're near one. Sometimes, she goes and does it without me. I get calls every now and then about how she's in Target and sees new stuff but isn't sure of what I need LOL

So I'm very lucky. Just recently we watched the animated movie together and she really enjoyed it.

As for finances, I always make sure our bills and rent are paid for, so she has never ever complained about anything being too much. I was vacillating about buying a second Primus package and she was the one who basically told me to pull the trigger