Collectors and kids

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rod, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I'm sure some of you collectors out there have kids, (hec Im pretty sure some of you ARE kids.) Heres my question, do your kids share your enthusiam when it comes to collecting or just TF in general? Do they have the same bright eyed look on their faces that you did the first time you got a TF?

I ask this because I met a collector the other day that was a HARDCORE, MISB collector. I mean to the point where it seems more like an obession than a hobby. Now my feelings toward someone like it this, is "why?" I dont see a point in it, it takes away from the Hobby aspect of collecting and turns it into a business. This guy was forcing this obsession onto his 5 year old son. he would buy the kid hot wheels SW and TF and not allow the kid to open or even handle the box.

I guess i could somewhat understand if he bought one for play and one for show, but that wasnt so much the case. it was more like "son, im buying you this leader class prime, and a real gear" then the kid can only play with the RG.

Maybe its just me but this seems like the collecting equivilant of those Little League dads that beat up a coach because their kid doesnt start, when in reality the kid doesnt even want to be there.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm not a MISB Collector but i have some MISB such as Movie Leader Optimus, 20th Aniversery Prime,K,O Evac and Micromaster Long hual,Quickmix and Swindle.

Yeah,I'm a kid of course.:) 

3. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Some of the parents I've met like that aren't buying the "leader class Prime" for the kids in actuality, they're just using the kids as an excuse to spend the money. I'm a collector with kids. Ask anyone that met me at the last 2 Botcons. My oldest son was with me pretty much the whole time at both cons. He does get that bright eyed look, the possum grin, and start bouncing from foot to foot. He also is allowed to play with any toy in my collection, and I've got a pretty decent collection. Does the occasional toy get broken? Yeah, but hell, I've broken them, too. At the end of the day, they're just toys, but the relationship you're building with your kid's is much, much more. Tear 'em open and play with 'em, preferably with a kid.

4. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

my oldest son is in LOVE with transformers. he can play with any of my transfomers he wants (the alternators are sort of off limits). if he wants nothing to do with transformers thats fine too.

5. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

See thats what I'm talking about. Adult collectors should share the joy of collecting with there kids, not use them as an excuse.

I dont have kids but my girlfriend does and the first time she brought her 5 year old son over and he grabbed my G1 Prime she spazed. I had to explain to her that these are toys, and they're ment to be played with, if not by me than a child.

Couldn't have said it better myself

6. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

too true. have you ever sat and just played with energon omega supreme! i dont think i would have if i was not playing with my son!

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I only trust myself and and my friend Brad with my TF's,Brad becuase he can transform any Transformer without instructiuon,Instructions stand by.

8. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's all about the kids. I have a few toys that I won't let them touch but I have no problem with my son having a little fun.

[​IMG]

Poor ravage.....lol

9. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

The way I see it, if I bring something home for me, I bring something home for my daughter. Its what my dad did with me. He has a complete loose Star Wars collection he let me play with (big mistake, lots of teeth marks on the early ones). When i got a little older and was into Transformers, he'd bring home Star Wars, and a Transformer for me. So when I went into my attic at 21 and pulled out a nearly complete G1 loose collection with 95% of all accessories baggied with the toys and their tech specs, suddenly his crazed "CLEAN UP YOUR TOYS!" attitude seemed like the most brilliant thing he ever did. Thank Grandma for throwing out his comics and baseball cards. It was spoiling me, be he thought it was mean to bring your kid something he didn't want or wasn't for him.

10. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I started out collecting G1 MISB when I got bored with comicbooks. At first my 3yr. old son was fascinated with the "wobots", but was only allowed to handle them under close supervision and care. After buying, and watching the 20th Anniversary DVD boxset of the G1 cartoons, and original TF movie, this type of interaction with my toys wasn't going to cut it anymore. I bought him some of the newer toys, and we enjoyed those together, but he wanted toys like daddy's. So it started with tearing open some carded Throttlebots, and a MISB Cyclonus. This got expensive quick!
    Thats when I decided that a portion of my money budgeted for TF's would have to be alotted for loose G1 toys for him. Since then he has got the rest of his Throttlebots,(they are easy for him to transform by himself, and he takes great pride in schooling his friends on them), a Metroplex, and 3 deluxe Insecticons.

Shopping on Ebay with him is great fun, even though he wants EVERYTHING!!!
    Hopefully, we can both experience Botcon for the 1st time together in 2008.

He told me yesterday that he absolutely needs an Optimus Prime, so that is next.
    I am just really glad that he has intense interest in my hobby, and look forward to many years of enjoying Transformers with him.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im not going to force my hobby on my daughtah. Instead Im going to get her Barbies only and make her play with them only, while I mess with my cool TF's.

Then she'll get so sick of them she'll rebel against Barbie and end up wanting to get into the TF's . :lol 

I kid, I wont force anything on her (except TF underwear) but I do throw random ones in her toy thing like Gobots , blocky weaponless TF's and those Transforming Hotwheel dudes. And hope she joins the fun.

I just get her what she wants when were shopping mainly, which is why she's already spoiled. When she's a little older she'll learn about earning things instead. Her favorite toys now are dumb stuff like boxes, spoons and 1$ flutes from Target lol . Rarely touches her good toys.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I let my nephews play with some of my TFs; the older rarer stuff is off limits, but they don't have a problem with that at all. They know how many years' allowance it'd take for them to replace anything they break ;) 

13. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

MISB is soooo boring. I mean unless you're buying one to open as well. That's why I always thought it was so boring that my friends collected SW figures and never opened them. Transformers are meant to be opened and played with.

For my kids, they'll be able to play with all my Beast Machines, RiD, and the few Armada/Energon/Cybertron toys I have, as well as all my other toys. The G1 stuff will probably be off limits. That stuff is my childhood and can break too easily.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    When I'll have a kid, my collection will be double locked in a dark room with guards and motion detectors. His stuff, my stuff. :p 

15. talkin jibberish

talkin jibberish Well-Known Member

my 4 yera old gets way excited when i get a new tf, but he knows which are mine (next to the comp) and which are his.i have things like revoltechs and masterpieces which he aint allowed to touch

16. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

Opossum

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It really depends though. G1 I can understand keeping MISB, from a collectors stand point, that is. One reason is of course, because it is much more valuable/collectible when still sealed and really some figures looks oh so nice on display in their original packaging.

However, newer figures and such (espescially stuff that won't be worth much down the road like movie figures) I say rip them open and have fun, what's the point in having a transformer if you don't transform it?

As for the kids thing...well I'm a kid myself (sorta...17), but if I'm still collecting years down the road, other than some of my more expensive stuff, I'd let the kids have fun.

18. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Mabey I was weird as a kid, i told my mom she should of saved all the boxes but she tossed em.

19. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I still say if you're going to do that, then get another one to open. If you can't transform it, then what is the point? It will forever be stuck in vehicle mode, even if it does look nice on display.

20. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

oddly i was the one who got my dad back into tfs. almost. on one of my visits me and him were talking about transformers alot and later when he went on a grosery run he came backwith two locs for him and my step mom. thay had such a hard time trans forming them becus thay were so tiny so he went and bout the ultra magns/skywarp 2 pack so the parts where biger. then on a later visit i brout along dvd prime and he was amazed at all his feturs.if thay make a mp soundwave and he buys it i would not be suprised.