collections what is better quantity or quality!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Backstop, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    o.k I got to thinking as I was checking out the collection showcase, I see people that have everything from G1 to under the sun but the average stuff! then others with numbers not even close but nice quality ones.So what do you guys think makes one persons collection better then another? As I am impressed by collections with the average common bots but with also rare items, But I am not really impressed when it looks like a guy put $800 of new toys on hid CC and "poof" instant collrction.What do you guys think?

2. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Well everyone collects what they want, as for me my collection is around 400+ and consists of G1's, Alts, Masterpiece,Titaniums, and Classics. As for Rarities, I guess there not really rare, but I do have the the 2007 Botcon stuff, some custom Alts, Nucleon Quest Convoy, some E-Hobby stuff, Abominus gift set, among other boxed G1 stuff. It took me awhile to figure out what TF lines I wanted to keep, I found it pointless to collect everything that Transformers has to offer, there is just too much stuff out there.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    depends.

personally i define quality as figures/characters i like or good designs i.e. im only a completist when it comes to g1, the rest i just buy the cool ones.

that said, not all my vintages are in the best condition, but theyre of characters that i love and care for.

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, it's both. I've been collecting since '85 so I have just about everything toywise. So I focus on Rare things now like Lucky Draws or Artifacts until something new comes out and then I pick up all of those. Yeah I sound compulsive, but I enjoy my hobby and just happen to own a business that helps me build the collection a little easier. :drunk 

5. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think it all depends on the collector. I only collect what I like, I have some "high dollar" figs but I also enjoy KOs too. I guess what it really boils down to is rather their collection makes them happy or not. I have friends whos collections are small, and one in paticular who has a rather large collection. But it consists, I'd say, of about 80% junkers that he got in "Transformers lots" from ebay. But they are all happy with their collections, so I guess their collections are serving their purposes.

With that being said, what I look for in a collection is a nice display. I've seen some really nice "small collections" that were displayed awsomely and some rather large ones with good displays too. I think it's the OCD in me that looks for a well organized and tidey display. BIG is always impressive, but it's the well orgaized ones that are memorable.

Now go check out my collection and leave comments too!LOL :lol 

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love "or" questions when the answer is "Yes!" to both. :D 

7. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Quality, hands down!

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I have to say that I'm somewhere in the middle.... I think of it as leaning towards quality, but after seeing other posts - It's more quantity.

When I started collecting it was easy to do both. You could still find vintage G1 pieces in great condition for cheap... But now, the prices have spiked up so much that it's quite an investment to build a G1 collection - even loose.

And then if you start looking at Lucky Draw toys and such? No way I'm touching that. My philosphy is that I'm not going to sink significant cash into anything that I'm not confident will hold it's value. I know too many people who paid big money for supposedly "super-rare" toys only to see more of them pop up on Ebay a month or two later for half what they paid. I'm not a fan of flushing hundreds of dollars down the toilet....

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    There is no "better" about it. Seems a little arrogant and subjective to say that either is better, IMO. Like Tech Spec said, everyone collects what they want.

Fans can have bragging rights for the sheer size of their collection, but I've been just as impressed with pics of smaller collections of more rare items, themed collections, and selected prized pieces of TF memorabilia.

It's all in what it means to you. For me, it's actually neither because I don't go for numbers -- I'm picky about what I buy. And there are also a lot of G1 items I have, some of which aren't in very great condition (like KA said), but they have had a lot of love over the years.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's always been about completion for me, although I always purchase quality. At this point, the three or four pieces I'm missing are so phenomenally rare, I've only seen them for sale on one or two occasions in the last fifteen years.

I avoid Lucky Draws and one-of-a-kind items on the same principle. Since it's a near mathematical impossibility I could ever aquire all of them, I don't collect them. What are the chances I could ever get that pink Binaltech Meister? :lol 

I also avoid cancelled things like the unreleased G2 stuff... in my view, they never "happened", so they aren't legitimate releases to me. I guess completionists all have varying degrees & definitions of 'completion'.

However, I do like smaller, themed, and MISB collections very much--so I certainly would never insinuate that one approach is "better" than another.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    A mixture of both. A big pile of crap is still just a pile of crap.

12. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Quality, no contest. A handful of personally-prized pieces will always be more meaningful then an ungodly, sprawling mess.

13. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Quality is a big issue for me... if you have a collection of all the alt's and you've got ALL of them (RHD Silverstreak and LHD Silverstreak, both boxed versions of Meister/Tracks/Shockblast, etc etc) then I give you maddddd props.

However, if you go "Here is my collection, it's 1,000 strong but I started in 1996 with Beast Wars" am I going to fault you? No way! Having 1000 TF's is an awesome feat. Having a lot of TF's is an awesome feat not just 1000+.

Anyway, so I guess... it goes both ways. I love character-themed collections but I've never really seen a collection where I go "Oh... what's the point?"

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Quality. A prestine smaller collection will always be nicer than a huge chipped, yellow and missing parts collection. JMHO

15. Optimus62

Optimus62 War For Cybertron!!!!!

Well said!!:thumb 

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, my collection is a micture of quality and quantity. I do get only the TF's that I want/like, but, my goal is to have an equal ratio of Autobots to Decepticons, which, if I get all the one's that I plan to get, will be 50:50.

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    For me, it's been mostly the figures that I like.

For Classics, I scooped up all the easily available retail guys (except the Ultimate Battle pack and the Walmart/Target exclusives - didn't see them up here).

With the movie line, my goal is to get everyone in the film - I've gotten all but Megatron right now, as TRU has him for too much (and that's the only place near my house with the Leader megs, which I want). Plus I've gotten some filler figures too.

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not not quantity or quality..Its about owning every US G1, Binaltech, Masterpeice and Classic for me. I'm almost done..after that Im going after Victory and Masterforce! (just got me a MIB Overlord so it has started)

So, how ever many that is, good bad and ugly..Thats what Ill get.

19. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Quality!
    I just get the figures I think are cool, that's it. I'm currently at somewhere around 75-some figures consisting mainly of Alts, MPs, Cybertron (which I'll soon be purging…), Classics and 6" Titaniums. I never want to exceed 100.

20. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

i tried to narrow down the number as much as possible, besides, i'm currently quality definitily gets my vote.

Excepcions : MP Prime ; some Voyager Figs.