Collection Tetris (storing boxes)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SydneyY, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am by no means a long time Transformers collector; I started at Micron Legend/Armada and didn't join TFW until Energon (I think).

At the beginning I just threw out the packagings (even TCC Inferno box went to the bin). Sure I thought some Micron Legend boxes were very nice, but it didn't occur to me that they could be kept. Once I started posting here, I realised the boxes could be a part of the fun.
    When Galaxy Force hit I decided to keep some boxes because they were so nice. And so it began.

I still throw out most of the packagings, especially blister packaging (I think I only have Henkei Rodimus MOC). Once in a while I throw out the boxes I have kept due to the lack of space. It was a sad day when I chucked Galaxy Convoy box.

I am going through my toys again, and this was yesterday.
    [​IMG]

I took some stuff out for a sale, then tried to move the toys around so that I can use the most of those cardboard cartons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are boxes with toys inside, and I have another 3 cartons with empty TF boxes :lol 

I've never been good at Tetris.

I have no idea how people with large MIB/MISB collections store their toys!

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Keeping boxes is exactly like Tetris. You only have so much space, and as you start filling it up, you aim to get rid of the bottom row. It's an endless cycle until the game calls you a loser.

3. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Yeah, I used to keep on adding more of those cardboard cartons, but now I know this is only going to end as me as a loser :( 

4. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    I keep boxes, but I cut the tape and flatten them nicely along seam lines. I keep the card backs and throw out the blisters. I take all that and wrap in a butcher paper and store them flat.

I take all the instructions and store in manilla folders.

Voila! No mess, no fuss! :) 

The only boxes I don't store flat or breakdown are the 3rd party stuff. Since there is less of it and it's a collectors item, I like to keep them complete.

5. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I just chuck 'em under my desk where I display my figures.

Is that RID Ultra magnus? can i haz itz?

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use Banker Boxes for my over flow of TF's. They stack real nice and neat. Once labeled, they are put in the proper storage area until I want them.

And as long as you have space to put a box, you aren't losing the game. ;) 

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I've only saved my Mighty Muggs boxes and they are too much.

8. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My son and I cut the boxes up to make posters.

9. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

The only boxes I save are the ones for rare and/or exclusive figures, and third party stuff. Basically anything that's specifically targeted towards collectors. Even with just those, I hardly have the space for it.

10. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i know the feeling =/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    With complete boxes, me too.

The only other packaging I save are all the cardbacks, and the back side of the boxes. I figure one layer of cardboard is much easier to store than the entire box. And if I do decide I want to sell a figure, at least I have part of the original packaging.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have a closet that i stack all my boxes in; but the trick is going the extra step.
    a box is more than an box- it's storage. as i managed to put several empty TF boxes inside my FAO Schwarz edition Imperial Shuttle box. My Big Milennium Falcon and 2010 AT-AT boxes? same thing. any box that can hold other boxes gets used. i then started stacking largest on the floor and went up and smaller. on the shelf above my rack, there's actually a lot more vertical space, so i went to a few local stores and got boxes to cram more things into and to continue stacking.

card backs, instructions and accessories are stored in a rolling drawer-bin next to my toy shelves to save me from going batty trying to find something in the closet.

After some time gathering new figures, i go back to the closet and make "adjustments" to fit them in.
    it's a game to me, now and when i have to move to another closet, i'll consider that "level 2."

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I use the second bedroom entire closet....and i have half of the storage room....as 90% of my stuff is misb....its get challenging....i also use big moving boxes....

14. SydneyY

News Credits:
    Thanks for your insights everyone! (Napjr, now that's a lot of toys! :eek: )

I've done packing them up, and one of the boxes (the long and flat one) is almost empty. I think I've won this stage :D 

Anyone wants Amdriver toys, PM me.

15. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Some of you guys make me feel a lot better with how many boxes I have in my room, honestly I need a garage or something.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering I just the other day saw someone mention Alternators as their "when they were young" line, I'd say 8 years ago makes you long time. :D 

But yeah, I have that problem too. I keep most of my stuff loose, except for exclusives, third party stuff, and big ticket items like MPs and my MISB TFC reissue line. Even so, it's pretty nuts.

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I keep a lot of figures MISB, and yeah, I've grown accustomed to playing Tetris, especially since I've had to mix different lines, packagings into boxes :p 

My problem is sometimes after taking out a figure, or even just checking, I can't put them back in properly anymore! :lol 

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have this problem too, and it's amplified by all the shipping boxes I keep around for my sales :lol 

My poor basement!

19. SydneyY

News Credits:
    In Japan? You'll have to move to Hakkaido!
    I honestly don't know what Japanese collectors are doing with their collections. Though I hear MISB collecting is less common?

I still consider myself a newb but yeah some people here are very young :eek: 

That's another thing about the boxes, the ones you want to keep tend to be bigger and heavier. When I sold my Ikado & Tako Tank I could almost empty one carton!

I've just realised I didn't write down what's in the newly arranged storage boxes. Now I'll have to open every one of them to find the one I want :redface2: 

I have boxes for sales, too. But when I actually get to sell something none of the boxes are the right size :confused2 

20. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

I sell my boxes dirt cheap on eBay, and then mention to the buyer about my Junkion Exchange. Shipping at that point is free since I'm already sending a box, so it's led to a few good sales.