Collection Intervention New Series Premier August 14th On Syfy

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DESTRO, Jul 29, 2012.

1. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Haha. I hope so too!

I'll probably watch. These shows interest me.

2. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    Finally a show that will help me understand the mind of a collector.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I can only imagine turning on the TV to see someone that looks like me, but tattooed and on a three-year coke bender, going "what up Transformer fans!"

Getting Facebook messages from friends I haven't seen in years asking how I'm doing because they saw me on some show... "Hey Quentin, you doing alright? I thought I saw you on some show about a Transformers collector..."

*shudders*

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Car collectors who sell a car they restore almost never get back what they spend to fix it up especially when you figure in their labor.

but back on topic, please don't let my sister see this show, she is always pestering me about my collection.

5. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Hahaha!

I can see my co-workers trolling me about this.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I'm guessing it's pretty hard to scalp a car. Transformers, on the other hand. XD

The wife and I might catch this show just for the lulz. I do have a modest collection but nowhere as overboard as some of the guys showcased so far.

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Im. Not too worried. Tis syfy network, home of the magic ever changing timeslot and myserious dissappearing shows. Anyone else miss "Who wants to be a superhero"?

8. seali_me

A modest collection for "normal" people wouldn't probably exceed more than 20. :) 

The total value for a "normal/modest" collection would not exceed 100$. Hahahaha

9. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    :O what ever happened to that show???

10. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Where not see gonna Protoman on the show are we???

11. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im pretty sure Sean Long is going to be on that show he said they where filming him selling some stuff at a comic book store on his facebook and it was going to be on SyFy i hope they dont make us look like idiots. I mean i can understand if you put that before your family, or taking care of living expensive. It just like any other hobby you just have to keep a good level head. It should be interesting.

12. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This show could be a disaster, or it could be a great thing, depending on how its presented.

On my strange addition, the focus on that show definitely leans to the "these people are screwed up, lets see how freaking weird they are". Whereas with Hoarders, its more about showing people who genuinely have a problem, and showing their recovery (or at least attempt to) to overcome. Yes, there's the "holy crap, how could they live that way" aspect to it, but its much more humane in how they handle the subject.

Lets face it, anyone who is a collector will eventually have a problem with display status, and how far we decide to take our hobby. Some people insist on collecting every single Transformer that comes out, and in many cases multiples of them (whether it be to collect one sealed and one to open, or army builders). That adds up very fast, both in size and displayability.

About a year or two ago, I came to the acknowledgement that I cannot collect everything, and that for me, there is no point in collecting stuff, just to stuff it in a closet or storage space never to be displayed, nor do i have the money to buy ever larger places to hold my collection. And as hardcore as I am, I'm well aware that there are people who are levels beyond me.

And yes, this collecting hobby can drive people into debt, or divert funds away from things that are more important. How many people out there spend more money on their collection than are investing for a rainy day, into their 401K, or their future child's education?

TL:D R, it'll be an interesting show to watch, the tone sounds far nicer/gentler/non-judgemental than My Strange Addiction and should be interesting to watch, especially the Transformer episode.

13. seali_me

The show title has intervention in it and will mention pitfalls from being a healthy hobby to an obsessive addiction.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'll probably watch- if for no other reason than to see collections for me to envy.

15. Grimkid

Grimkid Well-Known Member

I am actually in negotiations to appear on a similar show on a different network...When first approached I thought it was a show about fun people, the collecting lifestyle, and awesome collection showcase. But I'm feeling that it may be like this show and portraying collecting as damaging to your finances and social life....what a waste

16. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Great. My parents will stop buying me Transformers because of this show.-_-

17. Mitch FIN Keith

Mitch FIN Keith Autobot

this

its just going to show me things that i didnt know about from other series. I want to stay to just transformers, if i watch this show that might go out the window. Already bought the new ninja turtles

18. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh, this will be good.

19. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't have a problem. I don't have a problem. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!

20. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Try looking at this show through the perspective of Gender Politics.

There are record numbers of "Men Going Their Own Way" in North America and Japan now and collecting is just one of many avenues where their disposable income is going.

Note (in this clip at least) it's a woman hosting the show and a supposed girlfriend complaining about the collection.

How many of you can realistically picture a show where it's the man in a relationship complaining about a woman's supposedly aberrant behavior and a male host working with said man to "correct" the woman's behavior? I know I can't.

I also find it quite easy to picture this show being used as a cudgel on men who are taking care of business (meeting their responsibilities as motorhead9999 noted)..... used by women who think they're entitled to dictate how a man runs his life in his spare time.