Collection count

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus Primal, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Need a little help in my head count. I know with combiners I count the 5 of the Scramble City bots but other lines have me a little confused. Should I count Minicons as seperate TFs(which does make sense)? Also should I count Robot Heroes and -Master partners?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think a -Master partner and its companion TF should be counted as one unit, while Minicons and Robot Heroes should each be regarded as TFs in their own right.

3. Rodimus Primal

Makes sense to me. I'm going to have to start my count. It's grown rather large now so I'll have to take a bunch out to count them.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well, collection counting is a personal decision. I doubt anyone will contest your count. :) 

But here's how I count:

Minicons: I count each one. Even if it is the "partner" of a bigger bot. To me they are self-contained Transformers with their own alt modes and play value, and that's enough to warrant being counted. Also, some of the exclusive ones cost more than Supreme-class figures.... that alone should warrant being able to count them!

Nebulons: Headmasters, Targetmasters, Powermasters, etc., I do not count as individuals. To me they are accessories to the larger figure, not figures in their own right. Different from minicons in that they transform into a piece of a larger bot, not a free-standing alt mode.

Robot Heroes, G1 Decoys, mini PVC's: this is where my collection counting gets a little weird. I count these guys as 1/2 of a Transformer each. I figure, I DO collect them, they ARE Transformers characters, but they are so little and simple that I don't feel right counting them as a whole. Plus they don't transform, so they're kinda only.... half a Transformer. I feel like I'm padding my collection if I count them each as a whole. But a half seems reasonable.

Note: The "non-transformable counting as half" rule does NOT apply to Revoltech or Actionmasters. I figure they are complex enough to warrant counting as a whole.

Anyway, the upshot is that if I end up with an odd number of little rubber figures, my collection count can sit at a ".5" for a while. It's weird. And sometimes a little annoying. :p 

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I count every single TF toy that I get... including mini-cons, robot heroes, and the little Titanium figures. If it's a toy, it's a toy.

6. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it can transform from one object to another completely on its own, count it. If it needs help, count the unit.
    Scramble City guys count as one each. Duocons count as one per pair. Magnaboss and Tripredacus count as 3, Magmatron as 1.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    If it has a name, I count it. That includes Minicons, -master partners, and even G1 decoys.

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    If you look at my sig for Shmax.com, they database their items by the package, which I think tends to be a bit more realistic, but if you're going by character count, then definitely, each Minicon, Targetmaster, Headmaster, etc should be counted separately as well as the full figure.

9. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Not that I count anymore... But Decoys, PVCs, Robot Heroes - Counting those just seems like you are trying to pump up your number.

10. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Nuff said...:cool: 

11. luke4

luke4 crocon

12. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    It's all really subjective, as there are multiple methods to counting. Count them however you want.

For me, I usually go by a mix between character and toys. For example, I have multiple versions of Optimus Prime, but I still count the individual toys for him, not just one character. However, I still count the -Masters separately from their larger partners, as they are separate characters (going by US continuity anyway).

Although, I am curious how my collection count ends up using the UCM.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The only bots I do not count as seperate are Headmasters because you need both to make one bot. Target masters get a 2 count because both have a full bot and alt mode.

Combiners get an individual count so a scarble city combiner gets a 5 count and the combined mode doesn't get a count.

Basically if it transformes from alt mode to a full bot it gets a count.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

14. 'nok

'nok undead space monkey

I use anything I can find online to count as i am to lazy, SHmax is good, but I disagree with them on the minicons, micromasters and certain combiners. I'd do it myself, but look at my sig, I have better things to do than count my TFs, like PLAY with my TFs.

Woops looks Like Shmax has been overused, oh well my sig used to say I have over 1800 pieces. Cool web site when it's up.

15. Rodimus Primal

SO Reflector counts as 3 according to the Universal Method? I didn't intend at all to count my Robot Heroes but Minicons are counting. I wonder do customs count?

16. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I thought about this awhile ago and it sliped my mind.
    Off a bit but, I need to count mine.

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I use the rule that if it has it's own personality, it gets counted. So for example: Chromedome and Stylor get counted as separate characters because they each have their own personalities and are fully functioinal on their own, however Metroplex and Scamper would only get counted as one because Scamper was more like a drone/accessory (like Ops and Roller) than an individual TF.

I know I'm in the minority here but I also count the whole gestalt as a character seperate from it's individual parts, but mostly because I take my official count from a database/spreadsheet that I use to inventory my collection and that's how they get entered. Ex: Aeiralbots get counted as 6 total, 5 for each bot plus one for the combined form of Superion. I know that's not the most popular way to do it, but it's a whole lot easier to just use that total number from the database than get the number and try to figure out how many combiners i have and subtract them from the total number of bots I have.

And now for the real flame bait: :bay  I also count KOs :bay 
    It's more about the character representation to me, plus I paid for them and they transform, but I do make a note in my spreadsheet that it is a KO and I don't try to pass them off as real (one list to count them all /end LOTR)

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I might have you beat. I count..... wait for it......

Gobots.

Flame away! :) 

Although, to be fair, I've only got seven or eight of them....

19. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for me, anything that has a name I count as 1

20. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    there is no logic in that statement. The Masters gun, head and engin are a part of the bot and should be counted as 1

The most logical reason is count them like this.

*Reguler bots 1 each.
    *Combiners even reflector counts as individually bots
    *Head, Target and Power masters counts as 1.
    *Duocones as 1 as it is one bot.
    *Basebots smaller bots Fast Track does not count as they belong to the basebot. for example Fort Max is 1 and not 3 ( Cerebro and Spike)
    *Minicons are counted as 1 each
    *Micromasters counts as 1 each unless he came with a bigger base for example Countdown is 1 and not 2 for those counting base as 1 and bot as 1.

Every way to count the smaller figs separete is just a way for ppl to get a high collectin count.that is misleading and faulty logic.