Collection Advice

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheosPrime, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    I am rather new to collecting transformers. And, I was wondering if there was any advice that you might have for a new guy?

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Get a well paid job. Don't try and catch them all. Deodorant for conventions.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    It helps to keep things in perspective and not get caught up in the entire collector's mentality.

What do you plan to collect in particular?

4. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    - Take your time. You don't HAVE to own them all right now.
    - Deodorant for conventions. Or at least a couple of fresh shirts.
    - make some rules for collecting. Collecting everything and anything is too much.
    - pay bills etc first. And save up for expensive items.
    - research, research, research. There is a lot of info out there on any given item.
    - A collection takes up a lot of space. Make sure you have some. Don't stow it away in tubs and in storage. You will get many more miles out of an enjoyable collection.

If you are here for the long run. I welcome you.

iDD

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Helpful Tips for New Transformers Collectors:

1) No matter what, ensure you have a budget before getting started with any collecting. This sometimes helps, but not often, in my case my budget tends to be of the badly kept variety. Mostly during the months when large sales and sales that are more often to happen, happen. But that's great for our next tip...

2) Be Frugal! I can't stress this enough, unless it is one of those One Per Case dudes like Soundwave, always try to keep your optics peeled for a sale and then get your figures then. Be aware of sales and the end dates for price adjusting so that you can go back with your bill if necessary to price adjust the item you bought at full retail. That way you can double dip using the price adjusted amount and getting another cheap figure with the new cash. (If you were so inclined, often its best to save the price adjustment money for stuff you really want, rather than wasting it on half the crap you don't feel you really need.)

3) Get Informed: If you really like a certain line or figure, check out Youtube or even these very boards for some awesome and fun reviews. They don't always keep you from buying a figure you really want, but they are helpful in learning about possible issues with a mold before purchase so you know to be careful and not snap off or break a part that isn't meant to bend that way.

4) Ignore Internet Drama amongst Fanbases lest you be sucked in and forever feel the discouragement of constant bickering over opinions among fans. If you can not ignore it, at least remember, we all have differing opinions about stuff so don't get too mad at the guy that keeps insisting G1 is the best, or *Insert Past Toyline Here* is sucktacular beyond all reasoning.

Above all have fun, this is not a tip or a rule, it is part of collecting and so not numbered. You must love what you love doing before you start doing it. If you're only interested in Transformers because you heard some figures can make primo dollars on the secondary market, then you're not really going to enjoy the figures you get or fiddle/play with. Don't take everything we say on the boards as the be all, end all of Transformers Collecting either.

You might enjoy something completely different about it than anybody else, so don't let us stop you from that. And I guess that's pretty much all I have to share on the subject.

Anyone else care to add anyting?

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Run away

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    - Work out a budget and stick to it.
    - Spend your money on what you want. Let's say you have $200 to spend - would you be happier with twenty $10 toys, 4 $50 toys or one $200 toy? It's up to you.
    - Work out where you're going to store all of these new toys. If you're serious about getting a large collection then you'll need shelves or something.
    - Look at reviews online to see what people think about latest releases. I've saved myself some serious money this way.
    - You can score some great deals online, either here on the Junkion forums or on eBay. It's just a question of patience.

8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Beware of knock offs if you are looking for official stuff. Research everything if you are planning to buu a specific item.

9. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    buy what you like, don't give in to fandom hype or hate :) 

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

By far the most important piece of advice I can possibly give to ANYONE thinking of collecting Transformers toys, is that you should only buy what means something to you. The worst thing you can do is end up surrounded by 100s of figures that you just don't care about. ie, make it about quality not quantity.

I have fallen into this trap and it has dragged me down for many years. Only recently have I seen the true path to appreciating what you own and am in the process of a massive downsizing operation.

Don't buy something just because it is cheap. Choose carefully and then you will love what you own.

11. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    A lot of good advise here, one thing I would add is to have fun with it. If you can't enjoy collecting and it becomes work it's not worth it.

12. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Be honest with yourself, and keep the passion burning baby...

13. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    have fun! for me i love customizing..... ive been collecting TF's for a couple of years now but only just started doing repaints a month ago.... i love it!

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So much good advice in this thread already. Well put friends.

My advice to you: find your passion about Transformers. Really take your time in looking around this sight in the different discussion forums and find that special thing that just blows your mind.

Is it customizing? Go to the Radicon section.

Do you enjoy reading comics? Check out the new comic section.

There's something for everybody in this Fandom. You need to find what really makes you happy.

15. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Buy what you want, don't collect for the sake of collection.

For example, I am all about G1, G2, RID and Universe. I won't start buying up all the movie figures because "they're Transformers, I should collect all them too." I let those go, and focus on only collecting what I really want.

16. TheosPrime

Ebay:
    Whoa! Thanks! I didn't expect to get his kind of response! Thanks for all of the advice!

Well, that's the thing I am deciding right now. My 'collection' (if you can call it that!) Is rather limit right now. I have purchased a few Animated and Generation toys and really seem to like them. I also have been told that cybertron toys are pretty good so I ordered a couple a few days ago. I am also looking into Prime toys because pretty much all of the reviews I see of them on youtube make them out to be wonderful toys.

Basically, I am looking for toys that are not only displayed but also just fun to play with. (if that makes sense.)

Thanks again and I hope to be around for a while.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Now is the time to buy Animated, so I would recommend concentrating on that. Like shares and everything else, TF toys are cyclic. Generally, 2-3 years after a toyline ends the toys can be found quite cheaply as people sell surplus stock, fine tune, or downsize or whatever. After 6-7 years prices seem to creep up. Defo a good time to buy Animated.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would look into focusing on Prime if you like those figures. Those are going to be the easiest ones to find - they're all at retail right now.

19. hordeall

hordeall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DONT DO IT

You have been warned its addicting and will consume you

20. TheosPrime

Ebay:
    Must...go...towards...the light....