Collecting without any room to display

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Jul 7, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen some amazing man-cave/room displays in the collections forum, which maybe after I graduate next year and get a job I can do. At the moment though, I have 0 room to display aside from random tabletops, computer desk and such.

So what do you guys do when you have no room at all? Still continue buying/collecting and drive your other crazy/throw stuff in storage, or is it at that time that it's time to take a break?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Well, I haven't hit that point yet, but the moment I do is the moment I start selling off the figures I don't want anymore.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You can always find room. You've just gotta be a little more creative instead of just using bookcases & whatnot by way of high shelving & learning to hoard every open space you can find.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I hade to rent a shurgard storage unit to have all the toys in. Boxed stuff takes up alot of space. Then I would gather stuff at home untill I filled a moving box and then take that to the storage unit.

5. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am actually at this point myself. I continue to buy more toys. They are just sitting in my garage now next to my review area, and all over my desk and in boxes. We are currently rending our house (because we are moving to TN in the near future), so I cannot build shelves :( 

6. masishadow

News Credits:
    Yeah, my wife asked me tonight as I was picking up a Generations Scourge (which is a must have c'mon)..."Why do you keep buying, we don't have any place to put your toys (since I'm doing a MISB thing atm.) She forgets that I am a master at storage unit Tetris.

How well does a baby crib work for TF boxes?...at least until the little bugger gets here.

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Pretty good I'd assume.

... then once the minicon drops, you can use your said MISB transformers to build him a castle.

8. masishadow

News Credits:
    I think I would end up single at that point.

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^This x 100! :D 
    I use my almost empty cupoards and drawers, and stuff the toys in huge cardboard boxes. Some also gets stack and I pile them up in my fairly medium-sized room in the corners..:lol 
    For my G1 vintages, I pile them onto a wooden shelve..:D 

10. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Having this problem myself. We've got a horrible loft full of mice and dust. All my TFs are boxed securely up there.

Once the redundancy hits me (T-minus 48 hours), I'll have the time to finish boarding it, get some shelves up, start making my man-cave. It will be epic.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

I've had to pick and choose what is on display. Soon I will do some rearranging and get more shelves, then the problem will be solved.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't collect if I couldn't display. Spend lots of money and not be able to enjoy your purchases? Um, yeah. Makes no sense.

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, no room to display here either: what area's I do have available are mostly taken up by Star Wars Lego. My wife and I are housed in a pretty small apartment right now, mostly due to it being an excellent location, but space (or lack of it) is definitely an issue.

At least 90% of my TF's are in storage, some in a large closet at home, and most in an external hired storage facility. There's plenty of TF's I'd LIKE to open, but which take up way too much room to have displayed AND keep their box somewhere safe. So these just stay MI(S)B...
    Actually, I don't even have room enough to display all my Star Wars Lego sets...

14. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    I actually just had to deal with this, as my shelves for my display case are simply too cluttered. I made some hard decisions but ended up boxing what few animated and classic figures I had, along with some repaints I did that I am no longer happy with, and keeping them safe until I either get more room or want to switch out what I am dplaying.

15. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I want to move the wife out to the garage!

I have no where to display just now as Mini me will have the TF's room!

16. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

congrats!

my wife got pregnant just when i was to paint the room i picked to be the man-cave. i ended up pa inting it four different girly colours. i never even had the chance to use it.

i ended up with a man corner. i ran out of room the minute generations and RTS came about. i don't even know where to display my junkion army.

17. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

LOL! I feel ya, I am in the same boat. Since me and my wife moved our room to the upstairs room(stay with her older mother to take care of her and the property, 3 acres) I have a half a room. I had to fight to not just have a corner.

All my MOSC are on the walls(Tf and non TF) and I have a nice 3 shelf that aint too big but not too small. But, I have 3 tubs of TFs just sitting next to it and I have decided to part with some of them I aint too hot on displaying right away. Figure I should let them go to a good home and then use the cash for me and my son's together hobby and to fund my Generations hunt.

18. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

I just cycle my various collections. There's no possible way I could display all my action figures at once, so I just rotate them out every so often.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I sell when I have no more room to display. Because when that happens it usually means I have more than I want to play with.

20. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    That sounds like me... :lol  In the past few months, I've bought me a Fort Max, Scorpy, Diaclone Raiden & a bunch of G1s (pics when I get my camera back). At the moment, my bedroom is bursting at the seams. TFs are getting crammed into every nook & cranny - & still even more keep arriving in the mail (I can't help it... :lol ). I really need to buy some more shelves...